Two sistersâthe sickly, intellectual Ester (Ingrid Thulin) and the sensual, pragmatic Anna (Gunnel Lindblom)âtravel by train with Annaâs young son, Johan (JÃ¶rgen LindstrÃ¶m), to a foreign country that appears to be on the brink of war. Attempting to cope with their alien surroundings, each sister is left to her own vices while they vie for Johanâs affection, and in so doing sabotage what little remains of their relationship. Regarded as one of the most sexually provocative films of its day, Ingmar Bergmanâs The Silence
offers a disturbing vision of emotional isolation in a suffocating spiritual void.
- Exploring the film: Video discussion with Ingmar Bergman biographer Peter Cowie
- Poster gallery for the trilogy films
- Original theatrical trailer
- Introduction by Ingmar Bergman
- Illustrated audio interview with cinematographer Sven Nykvist, recorded in 1981