Scenes from a Marriage
chronicles the many years of love and turmoil that bind Marianne and Johan, tracking their relationship through matrimony, infidelity, divorce, and subsequent partnerships. Originally conceived by director Ingmar Bergman as a five-hour, six-part television miniseries, the film is also presented in its three-hour theatrical cut. Shot largely in intense, intimate close-ups by cinematographer Sven Nykvist and featuring flawless performances by Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson, Bergmanâs emotional X-ray reveals the deep joys and pains of a complex bond.
- Both the television and the theatrical version
- Video interview with Ingmar Bergman from 1986
- Video interview with stars Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson
- Video interview with Bergman scholar Peter Cowie comparing the two versions of Scenes from a Marriage
- Insert featuring an essay by Phillip Lopate