109, 930-935 Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
whaleallright

Re: 109, 930-935 Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood

#151 Post by whaleallright » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:23 pm

ethel wrote:The apparent absence of Jack Smith from the extras is concerning. I hope the overall impression of sober heteronormative academic analysis isn’t actually the whole story. Couldn’t they rope in John Waters, Charles Busch and Lypsinka for balance? Sheesh. The films are delirious, and the extras should ideally reflect this at some point. It’s not John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks fans who’ve lit candles and kept shrines to these films for lo these 80 years.
I gotta agree with this. The centrality of Dietrich and these films in particular to the development of a camp sensibility—and all the gender fuckery the films include— is so important that it would be a major oversight not to make these things the subject of at least one of the "extras" on this set.

Tuco

#152 Post by Tuco » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:13 am

I swear that the last time I saw Shanghai Express on TCM (before Comcast bumped TCM to a more expensive tier), the missing dialog was, well, not missing. And that wasn't the first time I've heard/seen it. At any rate, so excited about this set. And not just because my wife won't be crabby about me "buying another fucking blu-ray" because she luuuuuuuuves Marlene.

Roscoe

#153 Post by Roscoe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:51 am

The last time I watched it on TCM the dialogue about the French officer was missing. A pity.

david hare

#154 Post by david hare » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm

The cut is not that long, it runs no more than fifteen seconds, maybe less. You can see the film visually deteriororating with emulsion damage just before the cut lines.

Feego

#155 Post by Feego » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:16 pm

david hare wrote:I can't verify the 4K of Shanghai Express has the missing dialogue reinstated but one assumes it will.

If it isn't this is it:

CHANG. Explain to him if he does not tell the truth I'll have him shot.
LILY to LENARD (in French): He says if you don't tell the truth he will have you shot.
LENARD (In French) when I was in the army I committed a minor offence and I was discharged.
LILY: He has been discharged for a minor offence.
CHANG. THen why does he wear that uniform?
LILY. Why do you wear that uniform then?
LENARD. I'm going to see my sister and I dont wamt her to know I've been discharged. It would cause too much shame and sorrow.
LILY. HE is going to visit his sister and he doesn't want her to know about his disgrace.
Tuco wrote:I swear that the last time I saw Shanghai Express on TCM (before Comcast bumped TCM to a more expensive tier), the missing dialog was, well, not missing.
I just checked my DVD of Shanghai Express that was released by TCM in 2012. The lines I have bolded in David Hare's quote above are there, but the lines before that are missing. We hear Chang say, "Your passport says nothing about your military rank." Dietrich translates and the soldier answers, then there is a visible cut to Chang asking about the uniform. I saw no evidence of visual deterioration prior to the cut however. I'm pretty sure this is the version that has aired on TCM for the last several years.

Fred Holywell

#156 Post by Fred Holywell » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Here's the shot as seen on TCM last month:

"Shanghai Express" dialogue cut

The cut comes between Lenard's line in French about having resigned from the army, and Chang's line: "Then why does he wear that uniform?"

david hare

#157 Post by david hare » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks for the clip. Some seconds before the beginning of that the tramlines and ragged bits start to appear and the print (on the French PAL disc) looks like its coming to a reel end. One assumes some fuckwit in an archive snipped out the "bad" footage. But one should never assume.

black&huge

#158 Post by black&huge » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:08 pm

With this mammoth being announced I hope an upgrade of the 3 silent classics box set isn't too far behind.