38-39 Branded to Kill & Tokyo Drifter

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
TechnicolorAcid

Re: 38-39 Branded to Kill & Tokyo Drifter

#126 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:21 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:32 am
Finally tried to play the UHD -- it looked great -- until it got stuck around the 31 minute mark. Ironically, the BD also glitched almost at the same point. I tried playing these on my PC. No SGX so no UHD playing. And the BD didn't work either (no error message -- just nothing).
Perhaps try emailing Criterion for a replacement disc if you can, I'm sure they'd be willing to send it to you.

NeoNical

#127 Post by NeoNical » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:14 am

Yep get a replacement disc on that. Criterion is well known for being good with replacements and customer service.

With that said, the case layout for this release is not the best. When I got my copy on release day, the 4K UHD was scratched because the 4K disc is sandwiched between the bottom Blu-ray Disc and the case itself. I'm sure Criterion has done this formatting with a lot of their other releases (Probably most of their 4K releases since a lot of titles have their extras on the Blu-ray disc).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#128 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:12 pm

I guess I am surprised that neithe disc worked. Apparently the Sony player can have a problem in layer shifting on high capacity discs -- but that shouldn't have affected the BD, right?

Addendum --Looked at in the light of day, BOTH discs were covered by greasy fingerprints and other muck. Cleaned off, the UHD played just fine. I suspect the BD will also now work -- but I will test it another day.