516 Stagecoach

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Peacock

Re: 516 Stagecoach

#76 Post by Peacock » Sat May 15, 2010 11:07 am

Mr Finch wrote:Received my copy today,
Sorry for being off topic- but Mr Finch, how do you keep getting your Criterions so early?! Are you in the states right now?
EDIT: Ah I hear Movietyme is very fast. Anyway carry on!

TheRanchHand

#77 Post by TheRanchHand » Tue May 25, 2010 3:23 am

I got mine this morning. The film looks great. I will finish watching it later tonight (a late night) but caught a couple of the supplements. Great disc!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Oh boy. Anyone else having problems with this Blu-ray? It just whiiiiiiirrrrrrsssss in my player and won't load. No other Blu-rays have the same effect in my Sherwood 5004

Feego

#79 Post by Feego » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:Oh boy. Anyone else having problems with this Blu-ray? It just whiiiiiiirrrrrrsssss in my player and won't load. No other Blu-rays have the same effect in my Sherwood 5004
I haven't tried it yet, but I'd venture to guess that it may have more to do with the Sherwood than the disc. It just sounds like a typical Sherwood issue.

Fortisquince

#80 Post by Fortisquince » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Watched the whole film on Blu Ray last Thursday night. No problems. Thought it looked great.

Minkin

#81 Post by Minkin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 pm

It arrived today. I played through it, checked supplements and everything is fine (and I used it on a Sherwood that hasn't had any updates since I unboxed it.)

I must say, I quite like the menus.

aox

#82 Post by aox » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:11 pm

My works fine.

jbeall

#83 Post by jbeall » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Wow--what a great film. Worth it for the battle w/the Apaches alone a sequence which is light years better than the comparable scene in Fanfan la Tulipe.

And although this isn't the politix thread, Gatewood was such a caricature of a modern GOPer, complaining about federal debt and complaining about how gov't should be protecting business etc. Or rather, today's GOP is so caricaturish that they seem exactly like Gatewood. But I digress.

I watched the dvd (haven't taken the blu plunge yet) and thought the print looked great. Whatever Wells is smoking must make you really stupid. After this, I'd love to see Criterion get their hands on some more Westerns.

scotty2

#84 Post by scotty2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:40 am

Gatewood stood in nicely for the GOP of his day. Depression-era audiences were quite happy to blame the bankers and financiers for sending the country into a ditch.

movielocke

#85 Post by movielocke » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Watched Bucking Broadway last night. Looked gorgeous in 1080p, a shame so many people think that older, damaged movies shown in HD think the HD 'just makes it easier to see the flaws and scratches." And it shows that the silent ozu films would look terrific in HD even though they are severely damaged. :-p

I also sampled some of the Ford interview. Lying bastard toys with the interviewer left and right. Irascible asshole. "I'd like to ask you about..." "don't remember it." "well can I read you from a review at the time." "No." "I'd like to jog your memory" "I'd really rather you not." *starts reading from vintage review* Ford interupts to start telling a detailed story about what he doesn't remember. :-p

Looking forward to watching Stagecoach, though I may watch a few ford at fox films first and do a chronological breeze through ford.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#86 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:36 pm

movielocke wrote:Watched Bucking Broadway last night. Looked gorgeous in 1080p
It's actually only in 1080i, but yeah, it still looks great.

John Hodson

#87 Post by John Hodson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:34 pm

david hare wrote:Disc of the year!
It is; the Tag Gallagher video essay is utterly brilliant and worth the price of admission alone.

Napier

#88 Post by Napier » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Did you really need to quote David's whole post? But agreed, Tag's video essays are indispensable.

John Hodson

#89 Post by John Hodson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:56 am

Napier wrote:Did...
I enjoyed it so much, I thought I would. But on reflection you're right. Only cut down quotes from now on.

hudakj

#90 Post by hudakj » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:36 am

jbeall wrote:And although this isn't the politix thread, Gatewood was such a caricature of a modern GOPer, complaining about federal debt and complaining about how gov't should be protecting business etc. Or rather, today's GOP is so caricaturish that they seem exactly like Gatewood. But I digress.
Yeah, he reminded me a lot of the "progressive Republican" GOP-ish congressman caricature in Ambassador Bill, who also hadn't changed much over the years.

I have been watching Ford at Fox, among other of his early works before Stagecoach in mostly chronological fashion, and was struck with just how seamless the transition from his last western 13 years earlier, 3 Bad Men, to Stagecoach in its use of humor, humanity, and gripping action (the stuntwork as well as visual clarity of the Apache attack blew me away). I hadn't watched this in 5 years, and it was like watching a whole new film. John Wayne's entrance alone was one among many standout scenes.

Also, this is the first time I'd seen Andy Devine get as high as third billing in a film. Perhaps the peak of his career?

Norbie

#91 Post by Norbie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:41 am

The 1968 interview by Philip Jenkinson.

A Classic!

Q: When did you come to America?

A: I was born here.

:lol: :lol:

You'd think they might prepare for the interview.

HistoryProf

#92 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:53 am

Watched this the other day and was blown away by how great it looked. Amazing presentation in every way and just such an incredible film. I watched most of the Ford interview and the Captain Ascot piece - which was about what I expected - and then sampled the audio commentary and about did a spit take. I'm not familiar with the fella, but I have to ask if anyone else has listened to it? I felt like he was speaking to a room of people he was pretty sure were retarded and/or partially deaf - loud, slowly, and awkwardly. The content of his commentary seemed informational and insightful enough, but man was it hard to listen to. I sampled a couple of scenes that I love myself, but just couldn't bear it.

I left it in the player to check out Tag's bit but then Football started and I never got back to it. But all in all my experience further proves Jeffrey Wells is a mouth breathing imbecile and Criterion did a heroic job with putting this all together. I assumed the War Trilogy would easily be my release of the year, but I think this one tops it. Awesome. Now if only they'd release MOAR WESTERNZ PLZ!

manicsounds

#93 Post by manicsounds » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:07 am

Still havent listened to the new commentary, but I really liked Scott Eyman's commentary on the Warner DVD.

ianthemovie

#94 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:39 pm

The commentary got better for me as it went on. My first response was "Jim Kitses sounds like THIS!?" After having read a bunch of his writing--he has written a great study of Western auteurs (Horizons West), co-edited an excellent anthology of pieces on the genre (The Western Reader) and has done one of the BFI Film Classics monographs on Gun Crazy--I was somewhat surprised. His writing tends to be remarkably clear, enjoyable, and often funny, overall very accessible, so I did not expect him to sound somewhat stiff and stilted in the commentary. He appears to be reading verbatim from a text (sadly, this tends to deaden many scholarly commentary tracks; the better ones seem to have been done more off-the-cuff). But I listened to the whole thing and got quite a lot out of it. As in his writing, Kitses shows his remarkable ability--all too rare among academics--to make savvy intellectual points in a coherent and entertaining way.

Mr Sausage

Special List Project Winner: Stagecoach (John Ford, 1939)

#95 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:32 pm

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, March 20th

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

Mr Sausage

Re: Special List Project Winner: Stagecoach (John Ford, 1939

#96 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37 pm

We're trying something new. The winner of any List project will now automatically become the next film under discussion for the Film Club. And, of course, right off the bat there's a problem: the winner of the Westerns List Redux is Red River, which we've already discussed here. So we're taking the runner up instead, Stagecoach.

Because this was rather last minute, the timing is off, so this discussion will overlap with the Alfredo Garcia discussion and will run a bit short (just shy of 2 weeks). The next vote will start on the 17th, and everything will be back to normal on the 20th. I'm hoping to find a less clumsy way to do this in the future.

So, let's discuss Stagecoach, and give a round of thanks to domino harvey for running the list and for the idea we're starting here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#97 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Entire Forum wrote:Nah

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#98 Post by Drucker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:59 pm

I have itnout for this weekend!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#99 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 pm

Maybe next time we do a vote out of the films that place in the top 5?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#100 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:07 am

The point is to discuss the top placing film. It only looks weird this time because we already discussed the top rating film. Why even bother if we are going to chose from a top five