522 Red Desert

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 522 Red Desert

#76 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Jeff wrote:While I'm not at all convinced that either one is "right"
I'm not sure any of them are or can ever be considered, for those unclear about my earlier tongue-in-cheek comment. They all look so different that it definitely boils down to personal preference or prior exposure. I definitely don't side with the Criterion and find somewhere split between the BFI and the Madman to my liking. So, a non-existent ideal transfer means everyone's a loser! \:D/

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#77 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Jeff wrote:While I'm not at all convinced that either one is "right," I think I do have a slight preference for the BFI palette. It's not like the Criterion is atrocious though, and in some of the Beaver caps I actually prefer it.
I agree that my preferred version varies based on which set of caps I'm looking at. Generally, I'd say the BFI palette is perhaps more pleasing to look at, though the Criterion looks more naturalistic. In any case, no one seems to have brought up this little nugget yet:
Gary Tooze wrote:The Criterion transfer is almost double the size of the BFI and hence the bitrate is significantly higher.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah, you can totally tell the difference on a 42" TV, Gary

zitherstrings

#79 Post by zitherstrings » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:12 pm

I, again, don't know which is accurate (neither matches any of the DVDs). But I do know there is definitely less detail in the BFI blacks.

It's also funny to listen to people, now faced with actual evidence the BFI is inferior, dismiss things to try and defend their original point. More detail? Higher bitrate? None of us will notice that anyway!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:16 pm

zitherstrings wrote:It's also funny to listen to people, now faced with actual evidence the BFI is inferior
There's now actual evidence for personal preference? You can show more detail of shit colors all you want, the BFI looks better to me, one consumer. It looks worse to you, one consumer. The Criterion would sell well even if it looked like the old Image disc regardless.

God, this thread is going to be Magnificent Obsession 2.0, isn't it

Napier

#81 Post by Napier » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:21 am

Settle down, boys and gals. I don't know how Red Desert looked in 1960/whatever. I'm actually preferring the CC color palette over the BFI. Watching it in motion, just looks so much more "natural". The screen caps just don't do it that much justice. I'm starting to doubt you guys, for doubting them. :-k
Last edited by Napier on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

pro-bassoonist

#82 Post by pro-bassoonist » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:25 am

zitherstrings wrote:I, again, don't know which is accurate (neither matches any of the DVDs). But I do know there is definitely less detail in the BFI blacks.

It's also funny to listen to people, now faced with actual evidence the BFI is inferior, dismiss things to try and defend their original point. More detail? Higher bitrate? None of us will notice that anyway!
I would like to quickly comment on a couple of things:

1. I am unsure what evidence you are referring to. Both transfers have been sourced from the same element, and as far as I could tell, fine object detail is practically identical on both. Some of the additional tweaking the two producers did may reveal some minor inconsistencies, but the basics for both transfers are solid.

2. I don't draw conclusions based on screencaptures, and I most definitely do not rush to post screencaptures, throw a few comments, and call them "reviewing". However, it seems to me that lately a lot of "reviewers" have started doing just that. Some have been doing it for awhile now. Some food for thought there.

I am unsure how some people are concluding that there is more detail on the Criterion release without actually having seen it. I have seen both the Criterion and the BFI release and my impression is that both are very good, with the Criterion release having some mild contrast boosting. Additionally, it seems to me that a few people are confusing sharpening with detail - and claim that are seeing more detail on the Criterion release.

3. As I mentioned in my review, I am certainly not an excerpt on the color timing of Red Desert, and certainly have a lot of respect for the folks at Criterion, but if there is one film where "more natural" could spur a lot of passionate debates, it is Red Desert, and my feeling has always been that Mr. Antonioni did not intend for it to look "natural" - hence my preference for the BFI color-scheme.

4. As to the "higher bitrate" comment, I'd rather not comment on it.

tojoed

#83 Post by tojoed » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:16 am

domino harvey wrote:God, this thread is going to be Magnificent Obsession 2.0, isn't it
Or possibly Magnificent Obsession 1.33.

ellipsis7

#84 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:06 am

zitherstrings wrote:What proof do any of you have that the BFI is correct? That script scan isn't "proof." Is it even a still or just a photograph?
It's the colour balance in several stills in the book, published in 1964, I also refer to the original Italian DESERTO ROSSO colour press book also from 1964, which I have, and an original Italian colour DESERTO ROSSO poster from 1964 too, hanging on my wall...

For instance the scene in the corridor at the hotel, before Giuliano and Corrado make love, isn't supposed to be that warm (as in the CC); inside the hotel room, within the same scene, Antonioni has the walls and repainted from the greenish tinge to a warmer pinkish hue, at the point following their lovemaking love (which is shot against darkness), to signify the change, the BFI shows this perfectly... The scene on the cobbled street is supposed be drained of colour, almost monochrome (even the fruit and vegetables are painted grey) not the warm 'naturalistic' look the CC transfer seems to be trying for....

The one issue that CC seems to win is the black levels, which do seem a little boosted on the BFI, thus losing a tiny bit of detail in certain shots...

But, for me, this (from the BFI DVD, I have not the means to capture the BR on my computer) is simply sublime....

htom

#85 Post by htom » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:19 am

david hare wrote:I got the Crit Blu of Empire of the Senses recently with the Oshima Eclipse pack and the image is almost too smooth and fine grained! It looked nothing as "glossy" as this theatrically 30 odd years ago and the (I assume) Eastman print screened here, censor cuts and all was fairly typical of the way the film originally looked on first release. I certainly don't dislike the image of the Crit Blu Oshima but I don't think it's quite "right".
Assuming there are two issues here with both grain and color in "In The Realm of the Senses", one can possibly be answered as this film, along with "Empire of Passion", was filmed in VistaVision. The larger negative should have a very fine grain structure, unless you're seeing none at all in the Blu-Ray...

Florinaldo

#86 Post by Florinaldo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:16 am

Jeff wrote:
TMDaines wrote:The story of Criterion on Blu-ray continues to be underwhelming transfers.
My Blu-rays of Repulsion, Last Year at Marienbad, Pierrot le Fou, Days of Heaven, Bigger Than Life, and Vivre Sa Vie beg to differ with you.
I would add the absolutely ravishing Lola Montès BR to your list (although I haven't seen the Days of Heaven).

CC does have its share of blunders or questionable choices, but the statement you responded to was indeed a tad too sweeping. Why, even MoC are fallible!

As for the Red Desert issue, I will not try to pass a definite judgment based on my distant memories of a theater screening in the 70s, although the BFI does seem to match them more closely. I do remember post-screening discussions about Antonioni's chromatic choices for this particular film, and the slightly out-of-phase with realism he seemed to achieve, which the green tint seems to correspond to.

Of course, perhaps the print we got was simply faded.

What A Disgrace

#87 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Beaver review disagrees with people.

kekid

#88 Post by kekid » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:15 pm

I did not see the film in a theater, and cannot comment on the color scheme of the original. However, one of the screencaps shown on DVDBeaver, that of Monica Vitti's face, shows every other DVD to be closer to the choice made by Criterion than the bfi. If we say that the bfi Blu Ray is an accurate representation of the red-vs-green balance of the original, we have to say that all other versions made the wrong choice.

joshua

#89 Post by joshua » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:54 pm

I can't really say which has the most accurate color, but I can say that in the one set of stills on DVDBeaver with the glass globes, the color differences subtly force my eye to scan the frame in different ways. In the Bfi screen cap, due to the relatively homogeneous cool color quality of the objects in the frame (especially the glass globes, the hay left-of-center and the stone wall right-of-center) my eye wants to travel in a circular pattern around the frame, either from or to the person standing the doorway in the back. To me it seems to "guide" the eye, similar in manner to Andrew Wyeth's famous painting Christina's World, where the implicit and explicit curves on the two dimensional plane work with the color to imply depth and motion. In the Criterion screen cap, the hay behind the globes has a warmer hue as does the stone wall, giving the implied lines between the globes and the hay and the globes and the wall a more solid definition. With just this slight difference in color, the still seems to now be in a very rigid one-point perspective with the person in the door being the focal point. What this tells me, more than anything, is that the subtle balance of the formal elements in this film seem to be pretty exacting. Not ever having seen this film, I'm pretty jazzed for it now.

ellipsis7

#90 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:04 pm

This is interesting, but I don't think MA was calling attention to to the straw & the straw clad bottles in the background (I too found it a striking relativity earlier today, the CC grab making for a distracting rebalancing of the image)...

RE: the Beaver comparisons, RED DESERT languished in a purgatory for many DVD years, the Image DVD unsatisfactory, then there was in short sucession the Carlotta, the Madman & the BFI, and now the CC... Noone was particularly satisfied with the Carlotta & the Madman (presumably off transfers from prints) while the jury's out on the original negative derived transfer that following separate digital grading made for the CC vs. BFI, although my informed preference for the BFI is clear... It seems that too many colour graders have gone for 'naturalism', whereas MA was going for nature with certain colours clearly manipulated... Monica Vitti's hair has a wonderful auburn colour in this film, but in the CC image she appears to have an awful ageing blue rinse!... The essential measure is the initial post titles image, the flue spurting flames and gas, must be predominantly yellow (not orange or red), yellow being the colour of poison and pollution in this film...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#91 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:56 pm

joshua wrote: Not ever having seen this film, I'm pretty jazzed for it now.
Hate to be the one, but it's a completely nothing random shot from the film. The Beaver has a proficiency for making screencaps that utterly fail to capture the film under discussion (mostly because they rarely watch the whole thing, me suspects)

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#92 Post by Brian C » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:01 pm

I always just assumed that he was looking for shots with little or no motion.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#93 Post by swo17 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Or nudity.

Matango

#94 Post by Matango » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:39 am

domino harvey wrote: The Beaver has a proficiency for making screencaps that utterly fail to capture the film under discussion (mostly because they rarely watch the whole thing, me suspects)
I haven't checked recently but I noticed a while back (couple of years or so) that Beaver caps very often seemed to come from the very beginning of chapters.

JAP

#95 Post by JAP » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Maybe it's common knowledge around here but the 'Notes on Some Limits of Technicolor: The Antonioni Case' article that Ovader mentioned (and linked) some posts above is really interesting.

Finch

#96 Post by Finch » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:11 pm

TMDaines wrote:The story of Criterion on Blu-ray continues to be underwhelming transfers.
I don't know what your hangup with CC is, my friend. Stagecoach looks as good as can be with the available negatives, Days of Heaven is sublime in 1080p, Yojimbo can be argued to tie with City Girl for the best high def presentation of the year, Repulsion looks mighty nice and so does the recent Walkabout transfer. Even their early Blus like Wages are aesthetically tremendously pleasing. You make it sound as if the top-notch Blu from Crit is the exception.

Ovader

#97 Post by Ovader » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 pm

JAP wrote:Maybe it's common knowledge around here but the 'Notes on Some Limits of Technicolor: The Antonioni Case' article that Ovader mentioned (and linked) some posts above is really interesting.
I was in contact with Mr. Pomerance to see if he can offer some insight into this issue and he gave permission to share some of his thoughts after sending him the link to the Beaver caps:
I can easily enough see the color balancing extremities that have been reached in the division between companies, but nobody has any privileged information about what Antonioni wanted. One would need to have the original matrices that were produced, shot by shot or scene by scene, for him at Technicolor Roma and would probably have to have some of the experts at Technicolor now (Thompson) actually print from these; Antonioni had Eastmancolor prints struck from the Technicolor matrices. The fourth images look most "authentic" to me in terms of the way they reproduce M.V., but again, what looks right to me is irrelevant. His "intentions" for the film were specifically that he create the color, and he used a number of washable paints from Tintal (again in Rome) in order that roads, walls, terrain could be painted to his specifications. The issue beyond that, however, is what any such surface would look like in a particular color process. What I can tell you won't help much, and that is that a tremendous amount of work was done by Technicolor for some sequences to get the matrices that he wanted, which means, the matrices were struck again and again and again until they were satisfactory---something that didn't normally have to be done for filmmakers. There is one more little clue, and to work on it I'd have to see one particular scene in the film. The BFI is not available to me in Canada, but the Criterion will be here June 22 and I'll take a look at it then.

You understand that it's eminently possible that **none** of the available reproductions now actually give the color as Antonioni initially wanted or had it; indeed, possibly what he originally had isn't even what he "wanted." We cannot get inside his head. Further, we don't have the print as it was in 1964 or even as it was for the 1990s restoration. One thing I can say--- looking through the four or five versions of the various scenes in photographic stills on that web page you sent me I was able to see that in every single case there was a color cast to the image. One company had it a little red, the other a little blue, a third a little yellow, etc. But it's possible Antonioni wanted casts in his scenes, and we cannot know. There are no memos or notes about this, to my knowledge.

ellipsis7

#98 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:02 am

From that piece by Pomerance...
Even as astute a cinephile as Alfred Hitchcock found the colour techniques profoundly stunning, even inexplicable, but unlike Crowther, he knew exactly what he was loving to look at. Peggy Robertson, his assistant, reports that “Red Desert was the first time that he’d seen white on white with no shadows at all, looking beautiful” (15).

He had her write to Giulio Ascarelli of Universal Films in Rome early in April 1965:

“We have just screened Il deserto Rosso, would you please let us know if Technicolor desaturated the film [one could accomplish this, for example, by pre-flashing the film before shooting—MP]. Also we would like any information that you can get regarding types of filters used, etc. One of the credits on this picture reads: “I colori ‘TINTAL’ sono stati forniti dal COLORIFICIO ITALIANO MAX MEYER” I think the translation of this credit is: “The colors ‘TINTAL’ were provided by MAX MEYER ITALIAN COLOR INDUSTRY” What exactly is “TINTAL”? Did the MAX MEYER Company supply the prints for the sets or did they work in conjunction with Mr. Antonioni and Mr. [Carlo] di Palma to design the colors of the sets, or what? (16)

To which Ascarelli immediately replied:

Technicolor did not actually desaturate the film but made a great number of matrices to obtain the effects requested by Antonioni. Antonioni’s aim was to have a dominant grey colour, or should I say colours as soft as possible with the dominating grey tone. I understand that in shooting Antonioni avoided bright colours as much as possible and actually went as far as painting a street in order to get the desired colour effect.

Naturally Technicolor worked very closely with Antonioni. In the printing were not used any special effects or devices. MAX MEYER is a colour manufacturer in Italy. TINTAL is the trade-mark name of a washable colour used particularly for painting walls and it is similar to “Ducotone”. MAX MEYER Company supplied to Antonioni such kind of colours to obtain in filming the effects he wanted. (17)

The Tintal colours were durable but washable tints used by art director Piero Poletto at Antonioni’s direction for painting walls, streets, even a fruit vendor’s fruit, a black house in a swamp, and other objects and surfaces to be photographed for the film. The colours had to be washable so that after a day’s work, the location could be restored to its original colours. Ascarelli, by the way, is clearly wrong in his supposition that Antonioni utterly eschewed bright colours; occasionally, as in the factory and on the oil rig, he rather wallowed in playing with them.

As to the multiple matrices, Ascarelli is informing Robertson that Technicolor Rome went to extraordinary troubles to get the exact matrices that, when dyed, would make for the print Antonioni needed

Matango

#99 Post by Matango » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:03 am

Is there a prize for the thread most guaranteed to suck all enjoyment out of watching a film?

Matango

#100 Post by Matango » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:24 am

No, I am not a complete fool (thanks for asking) I just wonder how many people here are now going to be able to sit down with any BRD or SD edition of this film and enjoy watching it for what it is, without wondering if they've got the perfect version.