776 Moonrise Kingdom

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Jeff

776 Moonrise Kingdom

#1 Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Moonrise Kingdom

Image Image

An island off the New England coast, summer of 1965. Two twelve-year-olds, Sam and Suzy, fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As local authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing offshore...Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom stars Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward as the young couple on the run, Bruce Willis as Island Police Captain Sharp, Edward Norton as Khaki Scout troop leader Scout Master Ward, and Bill Murray and Frances McDormand as Suzy's attorney parents, Walt and Laura Bishop. The cast also includes Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, and Bob Balaban. The magical soundtrack features the music of Benjamin Britten.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

• Restored 2K digital transfer, supervised by director Wes Anderson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentary featuring Anderson, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Jason Schwartzman, and Roman Coppola
• Selected-scene storyboard animatics
• Interviews with cast and crew
Exploring the Set of "Moonrise Kingdom," an original documentary about the film
• Norton's home movies from the set
• Behind-the-scenes, special effects, and test footage
• Auditions
• Trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a selection of commentary from young writers, along with a map of New Penzance Island and other ephemera

flyonthewall2983

Re: Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, 2012)

#2 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Jeff wrote:Some set photos have started turning up. The stellar cast (Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Harvey Keitel, Bob Balaban), 60s setting, and plot summary have made this the most intriguing Wes Anderson film for me in some time. Currently on track for a release next summer.
Jesus, what a cast. I didn't even hear anything about Keitel and Balaban being involved.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Another Jenny Lewis shirt! (first sighting was in the bonus features for Fantastic Mr. Fox). Shine on, Bill Murray.

ccfixx

#4 Post by ccfixx » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:52 am

I know parts of this film are being shot up here in Rhode Island right now around the cities of Newport and Jamestown. I've yet to see anyone out and about, but I do know that, at least, Bruce Willis and Bill Murray are around town somewhere. I'm not sure who else in the cast is filming scenes around here.

ianungstad

#5 Post by ianungstad » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Owen Wilson also makes a cameo appearance in the film.

flyonthewall2983

#6 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 pm

ianungstad wrote:Owen Wilson also makes a cameo appearance in the film.
I half-seriously thought he was put on reserve in case Norton left the project, and Owen would take the role over.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:59 pm

ianungstad wrote:Owen Wilson also makes a cameo appearance in the film.
I bet he'll be
SpoilerShow
running with luggage in his hands or something

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#8 Post by Brian C » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Jeff wrote:Trailer!
"Jiminy cricket, he flew the coop!" Love it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#9 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Well then! Sort of looks a bit like 'Pierrot Le Fou for kids' in some of those sequences. I have to say that the synopsis of the film never really stuck with me, but seeing the visualization of it definitely communicates things a lot better. I'm excited for another year of contrarian bashing of a great Wes Anderson film! \:D/

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Except that if you like Darjeeling Limited, it's you being the contrarian. :P

knives

#11 Post by knives » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Hey, that's my favorite.

Tom Hagen

#12 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:49 pm

So which Rolling Stones song will be in this? My money is on "As Tears Go By."

Looks more of the samey, but I like Wes, so I'll happily go see it. I'll wait for the second weekend in the hopes of avoiding an audience loudly guffawing over every little clever line like they're the laugh track from Three's Company.

bjboyer

#13 Post by bjboyer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:33 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I love all of his films with the utmost sincerity for their own reasons, which camp is that? I am waiting for one that I'll dislike.
This.

I was actually hoping that I would hate this film, just so I can get past that moment where I discover that one of my favorite filmmakers is actually human. But now, after seeing this trailer, I fear Wes Anderson has done it again... dammit!

Living 30-minutes from where this movie was filmed, I still (and always will?) regret that I never went down and tried to get involved as an extra on this film (or at the very least kidnap Bill Murray).

Also, Bill Murray shirtless with a bottle of wine and an axe is officially my favorite thing of 2012 so far.

AquaNarc

#14 Post by AquaNarc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Brian C wrote:"Jiminy cricket, he flew the coop!" Love it.
My knee-jerk reaction to this was more of a cringe/groan.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#15 Post by Brian C » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:42 pm

AquaNarc wrote:My knee-jerk reaction to this was more of a cringe/groan.
Sucks to be you!

rs98762001

#16 Post by rs98762001 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:So which Rolling Stones song will be in this? My money is on "As Tears Go By."
I just rewatched Fantastic Mr. Fox for the first time since it was in theaters, and while I still liked it more than any of his films since Tennenbaums (I'm in the 'early Wes' camp and was lukewarm on Life Aquatic and Darjeeling Limited) the music choices bugged me immensely. It feels so lazy and obvious to keep falling back on well-known songs from 60s heroes like the Stones and Beach Boys over and over again, and his song choice becomes more predictable with each film - a shame because his incorporation of "Alone Again Or" in Bottle Rocket and "These Days" in Tenenbaums at the time felt like some of the most moving and apt use of source music in recent US cinema. By Fox though it's fallen deeply into self-parody, with both "Heroes and Villains" and "Street Fighting Man" feeling too familiar, and lacking any deep thematic relevance to the story or characters beyond the obviousness of their titles.

Moonrise Kingdom unfortunately seems like more of the same Wes to me, but I'll be there opening week as always hoping to be proven wrong.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#17 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:21 pm

A song in French - how swanky. The whole cast looks great (even Bruce Willis - who I can't wait to see here), but I'm so intrigued by Frances McDormand. I hope there's a lot of sparring with Murray.

AWA

#18 Post by AWA » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:07 am

I hope I'm not raked over the coals for asking - but since I don't follow Wes Anderson that closely, but do enjoy his films, I'll ask - wasn't his next film supposed to be a remake of the French film "My Best Friend"? That he was hired to do?

I'd also like to add that not only is the trailer enjoyable, but it's a rare treat these days that a trailer feels, looks, sounds and acts as a proper representation of the film it is advertising... especially American trailers. The trailer for this film makes me eager in anticipation of the new Wes Anderson film for all the right reasons. Trailers in general are just horrible these days, so I'm thankful Wes has the clout to at least leverage a good trailer out of the distributors.

And how is that Ed Norton has never starred in a Wes Anderson film before? Seeing him and hearing his speech inflections make him an absolute glove tight fit in this film.

We're taking bets on Rolling Stones songs? What about double or nothing on late 60's / early 70's Kinks? My money is on Apeman - hey, they're in the woods! :lol:

knives

#19 Post by knives » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 am

I believe Anderson said that he's not going to be using songs on the film.

Anhedionisiac
the Displeasure Principle

#20 Post by Anhedionisiac » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 am

AWA wrote:I hope I'm not raked over the coals for asking - but since I don't follow Wes Anderson that closely, but do enjoy his films, I'll ask - wasn't his next film supposed to be a remake of the French film "My Best Friend"? That he was hired to do?
Jeff wrote:Brian Grazer hired him to write a script, which he did. He turned in a draft called The Rosenthaler Suite. I don't know that he was ever committed to direct it himself. There are reviews of the script floating around.
Jeff's right. I know some news reports made it seem like he was interested in directing it but I don't think it was ever supposed to be his next film, just his next script. He was hired to write the remake. He wrote it. And then he moved on to his own stuff. If you get to read The Rosenthaler Suite, it's kind of obvious right off the bat it's work for hire.

Jeff

#21 Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:52 pm

General discussion of Wes Anderson, camps, dollhouses, dioramas, the truth about brotherly dynamics, and the notion that you must love all of his films in order to be a "true fan" has been moved here.

My thoughts on the Moonrise Kingdom trailer ended up embedded over there.
I wrote:Like the trailer for every Anderson film that has come before, this one has me eagerly anticipating the film. It looks absolutely charming. I love that he's working with juvenile protagonists, as it feels like such a natural fit for him. We saw that a little bit with Max and his pals and with Ash Fox and friends. My favorites, though their appearance was brief, were young Richie and Margot Tenenbaum. When he had them hiding out in a museum a la Frankweiler, I wanted to see a film of that. It looks like I might finally get to. I also love the comfort of Anderson's tropes of meticulously designed props and precise framing. It feels like a Wes Anderson film. I don't think that anyone who saw that trailer would have a difficult time figuring out who directed it. I know those are turn-offs to many of his detractors (first person who uses "twee" gets banned), but they are also part of his appeal. I like that we're getting turns both from members of Anderson's stock company and a litany of major actors who suddenly look and sound like they were born to be in a Wes Anderson film.

Brianruns10

#22 Post by Brianruns10 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Lordy, Wes Anderson sure does love the color yellow!

carax09

#23 Post by carax09 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Can anyone identify the first song in the trailer (not the Francoise Hardy)?

Murdoch

#24 Post by Murdoch » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:24 pm

The kid in me who loves summer camp movies is squealing with joy right now.

Jeff

#25 Post by Jeff » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:37 pm

carax09 wrote:Can anyone identify the first song in the trailer (not the Francoise Hardy)?
It's the New London Children's Choir performing Benjamin Britten's "Friday Afternoon, Op. 7: Cuckoo!". The album is Britten: A Ceremony of Carols.