585 Identification of a Woman

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Drucker

Re: Gaumont French Releases

#51 Post by Drucker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:24 am

Bluray.com on Identification of A Woman from Gaumont.

The difference in color from the Criterion release seems to almost mirror the differences between the BFI and Criterion editions of Red Desert.

Robin Davies

Re: 585 Identification of a Woman

#52 Post by Robin Davies » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:44 pm

The Gaumont release looks excellent.
What a shame the extras have no English subtitles.

jsteffe

Re: Gaumont French Releases

#53 Post by jsteffe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Drucker wrote:Bluray.com on Identification of A Woman from Gaumont.

The difference in color from the Criterion release seems to almost mirror the differences between the BFI and Criterion editions of Red Desert.
To me the differences in color timing look, if anything, more dramatic than the Blu-rays of Red Desert. Does anyone know more about the transfer on which the Criterion Blu-ray was based? They're so different that they can't both be right.

ellipsis7

#54 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:59 pm

It's very difficult... Take the scene in the Venice lagoon, it looks so great & exceptionally 'magic hour' on the Criterion, then so very real & finessed on the Gaumont... But then the subsequent scene in the Venice hotel seems so drenched in red/orange on the CC and more gritty and counterpointing blues and browns on the Gaumont.. I'm looking at original French lobby cards and other stills, my judgement is still reserved but have to to tend towards the Gaumont ... I'm thinking that MA was not revisonistically & retrospectively trying to do a Terrence Malick (like the CC) , but I guess the Gaumont could have with done a couple of tweeks warmer in certain scenes... Gaumont for now...
Last edited by ellipsis7 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#55 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Based on my admittedly decades-old memories of seeing it in 35mm, I too would incline towards the Gaumont.

Lemmy Caution

Identification of a Failure

#56 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:37 pm

For me, this rates as one of the worst films in the Wacky C Collection.
Terrible dialogue, stilted acting, iffy production values, a meandering self-indulgent narrative, unappealing characters, a long run time. A real struggle for me to get through.
A few of the old buildings and walls were nice ...

warren oates

#57 Post by warren oates » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Minus the "iffy production values," which I can't agree with, you might, in the right (or wrong?) frame of mind, level the same accusations against any of Antonioni's films. I guess I just can't understand why you'd even bother with this one if you weren't already on board with the maestro. I've always liked this film, always felt it was underrated. But I think it does get better with time and repeat viewings too. Watching the Blu-ray with a younger relative recently was my most fruitful viewing experience yet. To me this is a fairly straightforward film about its protagonist, a filmmaker who's in between things and looking for bits of the intrigue and drama in his relationships and everyday life that he can only really find in his art. He's continually playing games with himself, spying on his own quotidian existence as if it's a mystery that he must decode before it's too late, day-dreamily wishing he were like the guys in Blow-up and The Passenger. And the film ends when he stops dicking around and finally commits to a new project.

Lemmy Caution

#58 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 am

warren oates wrote:I guess I just can't understand why you'd even bother with this one if you weren't already on board with the maestro.
Suckered by the wacky C. Thought I'd try a film I never heard of. Did afterwards promise myself to steer clear of further Antonioni, as I don't care for any of his films.

Some of the editing in ID of a ♀ was clumsy and 80's TV movie quality.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Identification of a Failure

#59 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:37 pm
For me, this rates as one of the worst films in the Wacky C Collection.
Terrible dialogue, stilted acting, iffy production values, a meandering self-indulgent narrative, unappealing characters, a long run time. A real struggle for me to get through.
A few of the old buildings and walls were nice ...
Finally saw this and pretty much, though I'm not sure I even can vouch for the buildings. The film director protagonist in this is such an uninteresting asshole and of course multiple women can't help throwing themselves at him. Only sympathetic character in the whole thing was the valet who muttered "Goddamn fucking flowers" upon being tasked with carting director dude's bouquet downstairs. This seems to exist solely for that scene in the fog, but there's fog in Red Desert too