639-642 The Qatsi Trilogy

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
godardslave

Re: Qatsi Trilogy?

#51 Post by godardslave » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:10 pm

kaujot wrote:What? The why isn't the Imamura box split up? Or the Teshigahara (something I know a lot of people wished for). They haven't split a box up since the Malle box (unless I'm forgetting something, but I don't think I am).
You are forgetting the Ophul's Box that never was. :(

kaujot

#52 Post by kaujot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:20 pm

I've blocked that from my memory.

Cosmic Bus

#53 Post by Cosmic Bus » Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 am

A remastered and expanded edition of the Koyaanisqatsi score is being released in May:
Glass Notes wrote:The new version of Koyaanisqatsi is available for pre-order (release date of May 15th) on iTunes (with digital booklet) or Amazon (release date May 19th). This is in my opinion the best and most thorough recording of the score. You can preview never-before-released tracks like "Pruitt-Igoe Coda", "SloMo People" and "Microchip" which add dramatically to the listening experience. While it's true there were small edits to make it fit on a single CD, the reward of listening to this disc (at 76+ minutes) complete with sound-effects, is far superior to the other available recordings. The audio has been remastered, and this is in fact the original soundtrack from the early 1980s and not a re-recording.

psufootball07

#54 Post by psufootball07 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:44 am

My professor showed clips from these films out of the blue, and in all honesty, it looks like an interesting idea, but it just droned on and on. I get it already, bottles get produced.

Matt

#55 Post by Matt » Wed May 06, 2009 11:29 am

psufootball07 wrote:My professor showed clips from these films out of the blue, and in all honesty, it looks like an interesting idea, but it just droned on and on. I get it already, bottles get produced.
I know it's fashionable elsewhere to be blatantly ignorant and to trumpet it loudly, but I would think you've been on this forum long enough to know that it's not looked on terribly kindly here. Maybe watch the movie all the way through and then form an opinion of it.

oldsheperd

#56 Post by oldsheperd » Wed May 06, 2009 11:48 am

Agreed. Any of the Qatsi films need to be taken as a whole to get the whole breadth of the films. Not to sound too pretentious but it's like forming an opiion based on one verse of a poem.

Napier

#57 Post by Napier » Wed May 06, 2009 11:49 am

"I get it already, bottles get produced." That sounds like a prime statement for the Ridiculous Customer & Critic Review thread. :shock: I for one, since the apparent shelving of Ran and Contempt, find myself anticipating the Qatsi Trilogy Blu-ray discs the most now.

Chull

#58 Post by Chull » Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Napier wrote:"I get it already, bottles get produced." That sounds like a prime statement for the Ridiculous Customer & Critic Review thread. .
Sure, but it was still a pretty funny line. (And yes, I love Koyaanisqatsi. In fact it may actually be my favourite film.)

psufootball07

#59 Post by psufootball07 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Napier wrote:I for one, since the apparent shelving of Ran and Contempt, find myself anticipating the Qatsi Trilogy Blu-ray discs the most now.
Boo friggin hoo. The standard releases of RAN and Contempt are pretty fucking amazing. Blu-Ray isnt necessarily the end all be all. We watched the majority of Koyaanqatsi, and yes it had some strong visuals, but the fact that Criterion is releasing them is a joke. The film doesnt offer any story, oh its a masterpiece blah blah blah. I would like to listen to some of the music, but then I remember that Glass' music in The Thin Blue Line and Mishima was better, and oh yeah, those films actually tell a story too.

tavernier

#60 Post by tavernier » Wed May 06, 2009 1:39 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Boo friggin hoo.
I just wanted to wrench that line out of context.

oldsheperd

#61 Post by oldsheperd » Wed May 06, 2009 1:54 pm

psufootball07 wrote:We watched the majority of Koyaanqatsi, and yes it had some strong visuals, but the fact that Criterion is releasing them is a joke. The film doesnt offer any story, oh its a masterpiece blah blah blah. I would like to listen to some of the music, but then I remember that Glass' music in The Thin Blue Line and Mishima was better, and oh yeah, those films actually tell a story too.
So according to you a good film must include a story to be considered worth any praise?
So we can throw out the Qatsi trilogy along with Man With a Movie Camera, not to mention any short films like Stan Brakhage's stuff, Off/On, etc. etc.?

Napier

#62 Post by Napier » Wed May 06, 2009 1:56 pm

psufootball07 wrote: but the fact that Criterion is releasing them is a joke.
More of a joke than Benjamin's Button? Have you even seen some of these Criterion Blu-ray transfers?
Last edited by Napier on Wed May 06, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#63 Post by swo17 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:56 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Boo friggin hoo. The standard releases of RAN and Contempt are pretty fucking amazing. Blu-Ray isnt necessarily the end all be all. We watched the majority of Koyaanqatsi, and yes it had some strong visuals, but the fact that Criterion is releasing them is a joke. The film doesnt offer any story, oh its a masterpiece blah blah blah. I would like to listen to some of the music, but then I remember that Glass' music in The Thin Blue Line and Mishima was better, and oh yeah, those films actually tell a story too.
I'm not even going to touch that Koyaanisqatsi rant. But re: Ran and Contempt, this isn't just an issue of a small niche of BD enthusiasts losing out. In the case of Ran, the loss of rights also meant the SD version went out of print, and I wouldn't be surprised if that happens to Contempt now too. This is good news for no one, except possibly ebay vultures.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#64 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed May 06, 2009 2:11 pm

psufootball07 wrote:Boo friggin hoo. The standard releases of RAN and Contempt are pretty fucking amazing. Blu-Ray isnt necessarily the end all be all.
But have you seen a Blu-Ray? It's hard to go back to DVD after watching films in 1080p. After I went through viewing nothing but Blu-Rays, I saw The Ice Storm and Nagisa Oshima's Taboo, and both looked like low quality JPEG images in comparison to Blu-Ray(especially Taboo, which had a crummy transfer from New Yorker with lots of ghosting.) You don't know how excited I was for Ran and Contempt to see it look like actual 35mm on my T.V. screen.

Napier

#65 Post by Napier » Wed May 06, 2009 2:26 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
psufootball07 wrote:Boo friggin hoo. The standard releases of RAN and Contempt are pretty fucking amazing. Blu-Ray isnt necessarily the end all be all.
But have you seen a Blu-Ray? It's hard to go back to DVD after watching films in 1080p. After I went through viewing nothing but Blu-Rays, I saw The Ice Storm and Nagisa Oshima's Taboo, and both looked like low quality JPEG images in comparison to Blu-Ray(especially Taboo, which had a crummy transfer from New Yorker with lots of ghosting.) You don't know how excited I was for Ran and Contempt to see it look like actual 35mm on my T.V. screen.
My sentiments exactly, you articulated it better than I, because I have this thing called a day job. The first film I watched in Blu-ray was The Third Man, and my jaw was on the floor. I think Criterion are doing a stand up job in the BD field. Psufootball07, do yourself a service and actually check out BD before making statements like that. Swo hit the nail on the head when he said the true crime is losing Ran and Contempt from the collection. Hopefully they can sort these issues out. I'm actually looking forward to seeing TCCOBB in BD, in hopes it will give me a new appreciation of the film and improve my opinion of it. The bottom line is, if the latest run of BD transfers is any indication, then the Qatsi trilogy will be a most welcome addition to the Criterion label and Blu-ray line.

Svevan

#66 Post by Svevan » Tue May 19, 2009 12:03 am

I said this earlier in the thread, and I'd like to say it again: these films are narratives.

daniel p

#67 Post by daniel p » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:26 am

Any update on these?

Having just seen Chronos (Blu-Ray) for the first time, I am really keen to see the qatsi trilogy in HD. I reall hope they bring the trilogy out in 2010.

Cinephrenic

#68 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 pm

They probably working on it (three films) for blu. They keeping shut on this project, so don't hope for any news for the time being.

daniel p

#69 Post by daniel p » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:20 pm

Do you know something? If it comes out this year I will be rapt!

Cinephrenic

#70 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:18 am

Just going by the Facebook responses. Don't know anything on when they will come out.

daniel p

#71 Post by daniel p » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:22 pm

Ok, no probs. I asked again on facebook recently, but got no response.

richast2

#72 Post by richast2 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 pm

In the meantime, check out Baraka on Blu-Ray.

Cinephrenic

#73 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Everybody should own Baraka on Blu. It a great experience in HD.

Matt

#74 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 am

Cinephrenic wrote:Everybody should own Baraka on Blu. It a great experience in HD.
It looks great, but it's nowhere near the film that Koyannisqatsi is.

Ashirg

#75 Post by Ashirg » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:17 am

Patrice Leconte's Dogora is being released on DVD and Blu-ray by Severin in April. Hopefully, Qatsis are not far behind...