664 The Life of Oharu

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Kat

Re: 664 The Life of Oharu

#76 Post by Kat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 am

I don't know why you feel you have to teach me about bowing in Buddhism.

There is a scene in the film were she bows on her knees to the wife of the man she is to be concubine of -- that seemed all about power. So some abasement there I felt.

I'm not not admitting your arguments at all - whilst it feels something about mine affronts you. I'm not looking for an argument either and bid us both to go in peace.

I take your argument that Japanese people would know what you say - are you Japanese? I do not wish to offend anyone.

The nature of works of art is that they go out there and people have many interpretations of them - including misinterpretations in the eyes of the artist, but they must accept that. I also feel tat in their process it is important to admit the validity of subjective interpretation and recognition of such allows people to develop.

I have not suggested my reading [- which the word feminist has been used for, though that is a label that is argued over at the best of times and also one I wish to be careful with and claiming i speak for it at all, i do not - but an argument made from the point of view of women as they experience male dominated society] -- but I had not suggested this argument was exclusive of any other at all. No argument or theory in my view is all encompassing of the world, see Thomas Kuhn about that, for example -- and your own experience, as for us all.

I am disturbed by the idea that steps towards freedom mean loss of humanity. That I do not agree with at all. It may mean change and a different relationship to that, but I am disturbed that such a thing may mean she is no longer Oharu or a woman. I see something in it perhaps as a recognition of a change and would respect if that is how it is seen by some, but it feels wrong for me, that is all I can say.

But, go in peace, I mean you and no one any harm. I will read your links and I will consider your arguments together with my thoughts and those of others on this thread when I review the film. I believe it is very important to understand we are all in process as people and in our thinking, I do not claim to be wholly right and I am sorry I teased you a bit, I am certainly always in a process of what I think and feel about films and other arts -- my experience is that that also changes with time and my situation. I don't think I will have anything at all to add here any further.

And thank you for this reminder of how powerful simple expression of thoughts can be for others, and the need to take great care with it.

Kat

Re: 664 The Life of Oharu

#77 Post by Kat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:03 am

a year or so later - I've had the criterion dvd more or less since then, I can't make myself watch it.