It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 678 La notte
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:24 pm 

La notte

This psychologically acute, visually striking modernist work was director Michelangelo Antonioni’s follow-up to the epochal L’avventura. Marcello Mastroianni and Jeanne Moreau star as a novelist and his frustrated wife who, over the course of one night, confront their alienation from each other and the achingly empty bourgeois Milan circles in which they travel. Antonioni’s muse Monica Vitti smolders as an industrialist’s tempting daughter. Moodily sensual cinematography and subtly expressive performances make La notte an indelible illustration of romantic and social deterioration.

Disc Features

- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- New interview with film critic Adriano Aprà and film historian Carlo Di Carlo
- New interview with professor Giuliana Bruno on the role of architecture in La notte
- Trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Richard Brody and a 1961 article by director Michelangelo Antonioni

Post subject: Re: La Notte
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:51 pm 

Criterion wrote:
Italy
122 minutes
1.85:1
Italian

Masters of Cinema wrote:
New 1080p presentation of the film in its original 1.66:1 aspect ratio

All DVDs of the film have been 1.66:1, but Criterion have presented all of their other Antonioni films in either 16x9 or 1.85:1.

Interesting, interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:54 pm 

Could be just a printing mistake as their system defaults to 1.85.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:59 pm 

knives wrote:
Could be just a printing mistake as their system defaults to 1.85.

It does? If so then that's possible.

Still, if L'avventura, L’eclisse and Red Desert are 1.85:1, it would be strange for La notte to not also be. For Criterion (and in the case of Red Desert, the BFI) to go with 1.85:1 on 60s European films they must have a reason.

Post subject: Re: 678 La notte
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm 

Been looking forward to this one for a while. Disappointed in the lack of a commentary, though. "L'avventura" and "L'eclisse" both had them -- come on, Criterion, stop scrimping on the extras.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:06 pm 

So MoC's disc will be 1.66 and Crit's 1.85?

This is a hairline decision really, but 1.66 has two advantages. The early sequence in the hospital when they are visiting Marcello's dying friend, and the helicopter comes into earshot, and then into the window space as Moreau turns around to see where it is. 1.66 works better to bring it into the frame.
And there's the sequence of the couple dressing for their night out at the weird nightclub and the party with Moreau's nipples clearly visible in 1.66 as she makes up but not visible in 1.85. But I agree there's a perfectly good argument for 1.85 considering both L'Avventura and Eclisse are, and MA goes on about discovering the "freedom" of composing for widescreen. By which he means real widescreen like 1.85. I argued for 1.85 when Nick was doing the old MoC SD for 1.66 but both clearly work.

You pays yer money I guess. Although the Crit does seem bare bones frankly.

Last edited by david hare on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:08 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Ha, I hadn't thought of that but yes, this will presumably mask Moreau's bathtub exposure won't it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 pm 

It definitely will. Even when they showed it theatrically here in 35mm the projectionist had to physically rake the frame mask down to capture Moreau's breasts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:23 pm 

See. That's another obvious supplement that they blatantly ignored this month.
Quote:
Disc Features

- Open matte shots of Jeanne Moreau's boobs

This guy is gonna be pissed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:48 am 

So I guess we'll never know for sure whether or not Antonioni intended to expose both Moreau's and Redgrave's breasts. But even in 1.66:1 those of Moreau are barely noticeable since they're partially concealed by the foam in the bath.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:16 am 

Barely.

My dear.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 pm 

Masters of Cinema wrote:
Just to clarify and update, our new Blu-ray edition of Antonioni's LA NOTTE will be 1.85, and has updated on the site...
Masters of Cinema wrote:
...The new master is *slightly* more masked at the very top, but greatly expands the picture info to the left and right compared to the 1.66

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:20 pm 

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BOOBS? Good God, MoC, don't dance around the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:11 pm 

EddieLarkin wrote:
Masters of Cinema wrote:
Just to clarify and update, our new Blu-ray edition of Antonioni's LA NOTTE will be 1.85, and has updated on the site...
Masters of Cinema wrote:
...The new master is *slightly* more masked at the very top, but greatly expands the picture info to the left and right compared to the 1.66

I'm very surprised to hear this. When I did comp screens from the Madman and Fox Lorber for the MoC SD a few years ago the width was identical suggesting the open matte had not been masked vertically. So I am intrigued to hear there is now more picture information on the sides. Obviously the 4k is a new scan and harvest so what were the originals? Did they find an O-neg?

I certainly don't object to 1.85, it does seem to be complementary to what I think L'Avventura and L'Eclisse should also be.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 pm 
not perpee

Yes, it sounds like they've scanned something really grand. The fact it's "4K" sounds like this is probably going to be incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 pm 

Now I just need to decide if I want to buy this or wait for the inevitable trilogy box set.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 pm 

I think this probably means a trilogy set is not happening. I don't think Criterion has ever released a title as a standalone release and then included it in a box set anytime remotely soon after that. The only examples I can think of that are in that realm are two Vardas ending up in a box set eight years after the initial DVD releases and Brief Encounter ending up in the Lean set 12 years later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:33 pm 

Yes, I am also unaware of any current further restoration let alone 4k for 'L'Avventura or L'Eclisse. There is an HD Eclipse up from a Jap BD elsewhere but it's completely unrestored. It does cure the strobing I am still prone to seeing in the Crit SD but that's the best I can say for it. It's also in a French audio track (!!) with French release titles. Oh those wacky Japanese! It appears to be scanned froma local release print, although this is contradicted by the absence of any fixed Japanese subs. (Optional on the disc.)

Last edited by david hare on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:34 pm 

Gregory wrote:
I think this probably means a trilogy set is not happening. I don't think Criterion has ever released a title as a standalone release and then included it in a box set anytime remotely soon after that. The only examples I can think of that are in that realm are two Vardas ending up in a box set eight years after the initial DVD releases and Brief Encounter ending up in the Lean set 12 years later.

There is also 400 Blows and the Antoine Doinel box set. Even so, in each of these cases, it was only the most significant of the films that was released individually. Given that La notte is probably the least significant of the three films, and certainly the least impressive edition, it does now seem unlikely that a box set is coming.

The only question is when we will see the l'eclisse upgrade relative to L'avventura.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm 

david hare wrote:
Yes, I am also unaware of any current further restoration let alone 4k for 'L'Avventura or L'Eclisse. There is an HD Eclipse up from a Jap BD elsewhere but it's completely unrestored. It does cure the strobing I am still prone to seeing in the Crit SD but that's the best I can say for it. It's also in a French audio track (!!) with French release titles. Oh those wacky Japanese! It appears to be scanned froma local release print, although this is contradicted by the absence of any fixed Japanese subs. (Optional on the disc.)

Aren't they touring a newly restored print of L'Avventura? I recall reading about that in an email from cinefamily or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 pm 

sorrysomehow wrote:
david hare wrote:

Aren't they touring a newly restored print of L'Avventura? I recall reading about that in an email from cinefamily or something along those lines.

Yeah, Janus announced their restoration of L'avventura 2-3 weeks ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 pm 

Gregory wrote:

They could do one like the Olivier Shakespeare set, but I think even that is unlikely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm 

Yeah, that and Great Adaptations and Bergman: Four Masterworks were essentially bundling existing DVDs as a package deal, so a different animal than a set of new releases of the trilogy films following a standalone of La Notte.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:07 pm 

FakeBonanza wrote:
sorrysomehow wrote:
david hare wrote:

Yeah, Janus announced their restoration of L'avventura 2-3 weeks ago.

Good news. Have they announced the AR for this?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 am 

david hare wrote:
Have they announced the AR for this?

Based on the Janus re-release trailer, it seems they're going with 1.85:1.