678 La notte

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Jeff

678 La notte

#1 Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:24 pm

La notte

This psychologically acute, visually striking modernist work was director Michelangelo Antonioni’s follow-up to the epochal L’avventura. Marcello Mastroianni and Jeanne Moreau star as a novelist and his frustrated wife who, over the course of one night, confront their alienation from each other and the achingly empty bourgeois Milan circles in which they travel. Antonioni’s muse Monica Vitti smolders as an industrialist’s tempting daughter. Moodily sensual cinematography and subtly expressive performances make La notte an indelible illustration of romantic and social deterioration.

Disc Features

- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- New interview with film critic Adriano Aprà and film historian Carlo Di Carlo
- New interview with professor Giuliana Bruno on the role of architecture in La notte
- Trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Richard Brody and a 1961 article by director Michelangelo Antonioni

EddieLarkin

Re: La Notte

#2 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Criterion wrote:Italy
122 minutes
1.85:1
Italian
Masters of Cinema wrote:New 1080p presentation of the film in its original 1.66:1 aspect ratio
All DVDs of the film have been 1.66:1, but Criterion have presented all of their other Antonioni films in either 16x9 or 1.85:1.

Interesting, interesting.

knives

#3 Post by knives » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Could be just a printing mistake as their system defaults to 1.85.

EddieLarkin

#4 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:59 pm

knives wrote:Could be just a printing mistake as their system defaults to 1.85.
It does? If so then that's possible.

Still, if L'avventura, L’eclisse and Red Desert are 1.85:1, it would be strange for La notte to not also be. For Criterion (and in the case of Red Desert, the BFI) to go with 1.85:1 on 60s European films they must have a reason.

Fred Holywell

Re: 678 La notte

#5 Post by Fred Holywell » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Been looking forward to this one for a while. Disappointed in the lack of a commentary, though. "L'avventura" and "L'eclisse" both had them -- come on, Criterion, stop scrimping on the extras.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Ha, I hadn't thought of that but yes, this will presumably mask Moreau's bathtub exposure won't it?

Jeff

#7 Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:23 pm

See. That's another obvious supplement that they blatantly ignored this month.
Disc Features

- Open matte shots of Jeanne Moreau's boobs
This guy is gonna be pissed.

rrenault

#8 Post by rrenault » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:48 am

So I guess we'll never know for sure whether or not Antonioni intended to expose both Moreau's and Redgrave's breasts. But even in 1.66:1 those of Moreau are barely noticeable since they're partially concealed by the foam in the bath.

EddieLarkin

#9 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Masters of Cinema wrote:Just to clarify and update, our new Blu-ray edition of Antonioni's LA NOTTE will be 1.85, and has updated on the site...
Masters of Cinema wrote:...The new master is *slightly* more masked at the very top, but greatly expands the picture info to the left and right compared to the 1.66

rspaight

#10 Post by rspaight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:20 pm

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BOOBS? Good God, MoC, don't dance around the issue.

peerpee
not perpee

#11 Post by peerpee » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Yes, it sounds like they've scanned something really grand. The fact it's "4K" sounds like this is probably going to be incredible.

sorrysomehow

#12 Post by sorrysomehow » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Now I just need to decide if I want to buy this or wait for the inevitable trilogy box set.

Gregory

#13 Post by Gregory » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 pm

I think this probably means a trilogy set is not happening. I don't think Criterion has ever released a title as a standalone release and then included it in a box set anytime remotely soon after that. The only examples I can think of that are in that realm are two Vardas ending up in a box set eight years after the initial DVD releases and Brief Encounter ending up in the Lean set 12 years later.

FakeBonanza

#14 Post by FakeBonanza » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Gregory wrote:I think this probably means a trilogy set is not happening. I don't think Criterion has ever released a title as a standalone release and then included it in a box set anytime remotely soon after that. The only examples I can think of that are in that realm are two Vardas ending up in a box set eight years after the initial DVD releases and Brief Encounter ending up in the Lean set 12 years later.
There is also 400 Blows and the Antoine Doinel box set. Even so, in each of these cases, it was only the most significant of the films that was released individually. Given that La notte is probably the least significant of the three films, and certainly the least impressive edition, it does now seem unlikely that a box set is coming.

The only question is when we will see the l'eclisse upgrade relative to L'avventura.

sorrysomehow

#15 Post by sorrysomehow » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm

david hare wrote:Yes, I am also unaware of any current further restoration let alone 4k for 'L'Avventura or L'Eclisse. There is an HD Eclipse up from a Jap BD elsewhere but it's completely unrestored. It does cure the strobing I am still prone to seeing in the Crit SD but that's the best I can say for it. It's also in a French audio track (!!) with French release titles. Oh those wacky Japanese! It appears to be scanned froma local release print, although this is contradicted by the absence of any fixed Japanese subs. (Optional on the disc.)
Aren't they touring a newly restored print of L'Avventura? I recall reading about that in an email from cinefamily or something along those lines.

FakeBonanza

#16 Post by FakeBonanza » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 pm

sorrysomehow wrote:
david hare wrote:Yes, I am also unaware of any current further restoration let alone 4k for 'L'Avventura or L'Eclisse. There is an HD Eclipse up from a Jap BD elsewhere but it's completely unrestored. It does cure the strobing I am still prone to seeing in the Crit SD but that's the best I can say for it. It's also in a French audio track (!!) with French release titles. Oh those wacky Japanese! It appears to be scanned froma local release print, although this is contradicted by the absence of any fixed Japanese subs. (Optional on the disc.)
Aren't they touring a newly restored print of L'Avventura? I recall reading about that in an email from cinefamily or something along those lines.
Yeah, Janus announced their restoration of L'avventura 2-3 weeks ago.

Askew

#17 Post by Askew » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Gregory wrote:I think this probably means a trilogy set is not happening. I don't think Criterion has ever released a title as a standalone release and then included it in a box set anytime remotely soon after that. The only examples I can think of that are in that realm are two Vardas ending up in a box set eight years after the initial DVD releases and Brief Encounter ending up in the Lean set 12 years later.
They could do one like the Olivier Shakespeare set, but I think even that is unlikely.

Gregory

#18 Post by Gregory » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Yeah, that and Great Adaptations and Bergman: Four Masterworks were essentially bundling existing DVDs as a package deal, so a different animal than a set of new releases of the trilogy films following a standalone of La Notte.

Fred Holywell

#19 Post by Fred Holywell » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 am

david hare wrote:Have they announced the AR for this?
Based on the Janus re-release trailer, it seems they're going with 1.85:1.

rrenault

#20 Post by rrenault » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:24 am

I'm wondering if the lack of HD for L'Avventura on Hulu is a sign we'll have to wait a while for the blu-ray release. They already have L'Eclisse up in HD.

peerpee
not perpee

#21 Post by peerpee » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 am

Fred Holywell wrote:Based on the Janus re-release trailer, it seems they're going with 1.85:1.
Just a few months ago, the new Janus trailer for SAFETY LAST cropped it to 1.78:1, so it's not a great indicator!

Fred Holywell

#22 Post by Fred Holywell » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:50 pm

peerpee wrote:
Fred Holywell wrote:Based on the Janus re-release trailer, it seems they're going with 1.85:1.
Just a few months ago, the new Janus trailer for SAFETY LAST cropped it to 1.78:1, so it's not a great indicator!
I knew someone would say something like that !

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Harold Lloyd was such a genius though, surely he composed for both ratios. I'm just saying, couldn't you make the argument that Safety Last looks better in widescreen? We aren't watching it in the twenties, you know! Until I see definitive proof, I'm going to assume it looks more correct in 1.78

Fred Holywell

#24 Post by Fred Holywell » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:Harold Lloyd was such a genius though, surely he composed for both ratios. I'm just saying, couldn't you make the argument that Safety Last looks better in widescreen? We aren't watching it in the twenties, you know! Until I see definitive proof, I'm going to assume it looks more correct in 1.78
You may have something there...

Moe Dickstein

#25 Post by Moe Dickstein » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Your crop is just a little high there. Nudge it to get his foot in there just right and I think you've cracked the case.