725 Eraserhead

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 725 Eraserhead

#51 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:56 am

So in actuality no essay though but an interview-- what Criterions have no critical essay included?

The Narrator Returns

#52 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:13 am

Chasing Amy and The Life Aquatic, to name a few off the top of my head. It's very rare, even Armageddon got a scholarly defense.

MichaelB

#53 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:05 am

zedz wrote:I was really annoyed when I couldn't skip immediately to the nudity in The Straight Story.
We briefly debated not including chapter stops on Arrow's Borowczyk discs for this very reason! One of his short stories features the sexually explicit material in mirrored text to force the reader to put in a bit of effort, and we thought that it might be fun to frustrate voyeurs in similar fashion.

But then we thought better of it and added skip points.

colinr0380

#54 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:17 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:Chasing Amy and The Life Aquatic, to name a few off the top of my head. It's very rare, even Armageddon got a scholarly defense.
By Jeanine Basinger, one of Michael Bay's former teachers. Who went one better for the Pearl Harbor Director's Cut DVD and joined Bay for a three hour commentary track!

Roger Ryan

#55 Post by Roger Ryan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:49 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Blu-ray.com
I expected the feature to look good, but the screen-caps for the short films look fantastic (save for THE AMPUTEE, which I wasn't expecting to amount to anything); a significant improvement over the DVD versions. I'm also really pleased that the excerpt from the PRETTY AS A PICTURE doc was included - this very interesting and, frankly, touching segment showing Lynch and Nance reminiscing about their first work together was shot shortly before Nance's death. I only saw it once some 15 years ago, but it has stayed with me.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#56 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:So in actuality no essay though but an interview-- what Criterions have no critical essay included?
Likely Lynch's choice, as he doesn't want the symbolism in his films picked apart and analyzed on the releases of those films.

FrauBlucher

#57 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:38 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:So in actuality no essay though but an interview-- what Criterions have no critical essay included?
Likely Lynch's choice, as he doesn't want the symbolism in his films picked apart and analyzed on the releases of those films.
....Which is unfortunate because Mulholland Drive will also come without a scholarly essay.

Adam X

#58 Post by Adam X » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:42 am

While I know it's not the point, there's plenty of 'scholarly' writing about Lynch's films out there, if you're interested.

djproject

#59 Post by djproject » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:53 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Likely Lynch's choice, as he doesn't want the symbolism in his films picked apart and analyzed on the releases of those films.
Assuming that anyone has successfully analyzed Lynch's films, especially Eraserhead.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#60 Post by tenia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:25 am

There are some very good analytical books in France by Guy Astic, Michel Chion and Hervé Aubron. They cover Twin Peaks and Lost Highway (Guy Astic), Mulholland Drive (Hervé Aubron) and Lynch's overall career up to Mulholland Drive (Michel Chion, but more superficially).

colinr0380

#61 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:02 am

And there is also our very own Society for Equal Nudity Rights For Laura Harring! :shock:

djproject

#62 Post by djproject » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:08 pm

DVD Beaver

It also looks like there are no chapters and no timeline option.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#63 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Nope. There is none of that, so you can't even save bookmarks.

criterion10

#64 Post by criterion10 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Interesting that something like Blue Velvet, which Lynch approved the transfer of, has chapters, whereas this does not. Wonder if MGM forced him on that title and ultimately if the Criterion Blu-Ray of Mulholland Dr. will follow after Eraserhead.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#65 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Intriguing that they have the Eraserhead location revisit footage from Pretty As A Picture. It'd be a dream if Criterion could reissue that documentary with Lost Highway if they ever got the rights. Still, that's a highlight from the documentary for me so it's nice they have it here.

felixemartinez

#66 Post by felixemartinez » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:05 am

I understand this was scanned from the OCN.

There appears to be a change or missing element - an optical? Around @65 min when Henry confronts the Lady In The Radiator it cuts to black instead of going to white. It looks wrong and certainly changes the feeling and perhaps meaning of the sequence. Was this intended? It definitely goes to white on the official DL.com DVD I've held onto.

criterion10

#67 Post by criterion10 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:51 pm

felixemartinez wrote:I understand this was scanned from the OCN.

There appears to be a change or missing element - an optical? Around @65 min when Henry confronts the Lady In The Radiator it cuts to black instead of going to white. It looks wrong and certainly changes the feeling and perhaps meaning of the sequence. Was this intended? It definitely goes to white on the official DL.com DVD I've held onto.
I haven't ordered the Blu-Ray yet, but there are some posters on the Blu-Ray.com forum claiming the same thing.

kristophers

#68 Post by kristophers » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:53 pm

felixemartinez wrote:I understand this was scanned from the OCN.

This is a big surprise for me and made me sit up straight as an arrow when it happened. The odd part about it is that the soundtrack is fine throughout this part so it doesn't seem to me to be an error of the disc itself or a 'glitch'.

Chris Stangl

#69 Post by Chris Stangl » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Oh, you are sick…
Email from Criterion.com with the pertinent details:
Thank you for purchasing ERASERHEAD from criterion.com. We are writing to let you know there is an issue on the current pressing of the film. It has come to our attention that about 65 minutes into the original camera negative, from which our new 4K master was created, there are 5 seconds of black where there should be a reaction shot of Jack Nance surrounded by fades to white.

We are aware of this issue and are preparing a corrected run of the ERASERHEAD Blu-ray disc and DVD Disc One (DVD Disc Two is not effected). When the replacement discs are available in a couple of weeks, we'll send you the correct version.
Plus instructions to respond with shipping address, further apologies, etc.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Re : 725 Eraserhead

#70 Post by tenia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:39 am

Between this, L'eclisse and browning BDs, Criterion are doing shitloads of replacement discs these days.

Rupert Pupkin

#71 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:02 am

cdnchris wrote:Nope. There is none of that, so you can't even save bookmarks.
yes I did notice this (this is so far the first Criterion Blu-Ray title without the time-bar + saving bookmarks (an option which I really like))
but wasn't this is a request of David Lynch himself ?
I didn't think that could be an authoring error since David Lynch for instance requested that Mulholland Drive from StudioCanal (DVD) doesn't the traditional chaptering...

on the other hand I was surprised to find on a new x4 transfer approved by David Lynch an error a-la Mala Noche

So I can contact J.Mulvaney right now for a replacement copy ?

heu... and well... tenia, I wasn't aware : what was the "L'Eclisse" problem ??? :?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#72 Post by tenia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:08 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:heu... and well... tenia, I wasn't aware : what was the "L'Eclisse" problem ??? :?
The DVD has the audio commentary from Riot in Cell Block 11.

Rupert Pupkin

#73 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:23 am

OMFG : all pressings? ](*,) I only watched the movie (which I pre-ordered) and the bonus; I didn't swatch on the audio commentary...
is there an official announcement for "L'Eclisse" with a replacement ? (oh, I've read the thread an apparently it affects only the DVD. The Blu-Ray is OK? if this is the case, well I don't care)

sorry for the aparté

let's go back to Eraserhead... I'm waiting for an announcement before asking J.Mulvaney (if this continues he will have to send to me all replacements disks in a cardboard box (Walkabout, Eraserhead, etc...)

Yaanu

#74 Post by Yaanu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:OMFG : all pressings? ](*,) I only watched the movie (which I pre-ordered) and the bonus; I didn't swatch on the audio commentary...
is there an official announcement for "L'Eclisse" with a replacement ? (oh, I've read the thread an apparently it affects only the DVD. The Blu-Ray is OK? if this is the case, well I don't care)

sorry for the aparté

let's go back to Eraserhead... I'm waiting for an announcement before asking J.Mulvaney (if this continues he will have to send to me all replacements disks in a cardboard box (Walkabout, Eraserhead, etc...)
Only the DVD Edition has the swapped commentary.

mteller

#75 Post by mteller » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:45 pm