It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: 24 High and Low
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:34 am 

One delight in High & Low is this: during the nightclub scenes, music plays...music that later appeared in Godzilla Vs the Sea Monster when the Big G fights some jet planes!

Post subject: Re: High and Low
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:15 pm 
Bringing Out El Duende

Michael Kerpan wrote:
I love the first half -- and find the second half (on average) only so-so (largely because of the fairly ineffective scenes featuring the kidnapper).

I remember sharing that impression on the first few viewings. Revisiting this tonight after about 10 years. Perhaps, like much from Kurosawa, I'll pick up on things missed in my callow youth. :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:20 pm 
Bringing Out El Duende

Well, I certainly did miss - well, half the beauty of this fine film by that early assessment of the second half of High and Low. It is a much more straightforward police procedural as far as the narrative goes but so wonderfully handled, save one aspect that I don'the feel was necessary but is trademark Kurosawa. The depiction of the nightclub and drug den sequences are disturbing, not necessarily because of what they illustrate, but the manner in which they're illustrated bugged me a bit. Do we really need to linger over the female victim of the kidnapper for such lengths? The film's main subject isn't drug addiction, by any stretch, and then to suddenly confront a woman going through withdrawl in such harrowing detail and significant length turns the film briefly into a horror show.

Also, the scene in the nightclub littered (the best way I can describe it) with black (presumably) enlisted military, one of who doesn't seem to have bothered learning Japanese and has to gesticulate a pint of ale for the bartender, creates an impression of decadence, corruption and nascent crime as an influence and springboard for the resourceful kidnapper. The ploy (and commentary) is a rather cheap one. I think these scenes have the opposite effect than K had probably intended, steering the film toward more of a polemic than entertainment. From Drunken Angel on it's rather obvious that K has no taste for Americans in Japan and in this film K's sympathies have certainly been with the police but the scenes (not in the Ed McBain source novel) push the film into an area where K comes off as a bit disingenuous.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:41 pm 

Yes - those are the aspects of High and Low's second half that I found very much below the level of the first half and the better parts of the second half.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5