786 Dont Look Back

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
flyonthewall2983

Re: 786 Dont Look Back

#51 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Drucker wrote:I mean, there is no investment in great rock music anymore. Simple as that. Radiohead and U2 are the two examples I give as bands that took years to become as great as they would become. There isn't even an infrastructure in place anymore that could allow bands to evolve and thrive like that anymore. Today, bands that do last for years live meager lives and most assuredly don't have resources like "studio time" on someone else's dollar at their disposal. We don't invest in much these days :/
At the very least, the technology is such now that you can record something that sounds decent enough to release independently.

I think going underground will somehow work out for Rock to survive as a genre artistically, if not financially. A lot of the newer music I listen to is somewhat steeped in nostalgia, wearing a classic rock influence on their sleeve. But done in a way that I, a 32 year old guy, can see some of it resonate on a purely modern level. My favorite artist right now, Steven Wilson, talked about how awful it was when his band Porcupine Tree opened for Yes. Mainly because the older audience didn't get it and they weren't Kansas or some other band of the era they knew of. As even a fan of Yes, I take some pride in knowing that his music which has been easily dismissed by some as purely nostalgic, could garner such an apathetic or negative response from the purely nostalgic. And fortunately he's doing well enough for someone that's mostly unknown in mainstream circles, but in his own way he has to hustle, while keeping his integrity intact as well.
AfterTheFlood wrote:I think the people who worship 1960s rock fail to realize that the VAST majority of music was lame. You had all the dumb hippie rock bands (Strawberry Alarm Clock) and bubblegum pop (Tommy Roe), as well as the music the older adults listened to (Herb Alpert). I think the Baby Boomers want everyone to believe that every band back then was The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, when that wasn't remotely close to reality. Yes, I have some amazing albums in my music collection from the 1960s, but to act as if every Westerner was listening to The Velvet Underground type quality music is such nonsense.
The 60's XM station plays a lot of that stuff, and hearing it blast in the next room during a brief stay at my mom's was when I realized what you said was true. I kind of always knew it to some degree, but actually listening to the numerous one-hit wonders and so on hammered the point home.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

hearthesilence

#52 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:41 pm

AfterTheFlood wrote:I think the people who worship 1960s rock fail to realize that the VAST majority of music was lame...Yes, I have some amazing albums in my music collection from the 1960s, but to act as if every Westerner was listening to The Velvet Underground type quality music is such nonsense.
Hah, just finished Elvis Costello's memoir where he says the same thing:

"Engelbert Humperdinck's sentimental version of the Ray Price country hit 'Release Me' stayed at the top of the charts for six weeks, while the Beatles' 'Penny Lane'/'Strawberry Fields Forever' could only make it to number two.

"The next time anyone tells you how groovy everything was in the 1960s, you just have to mention that little statistic."

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#53 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:45 pm

I can guarantee that most of the music one heard over the radio in the 1960s and 70s was genuinely dreadful (unless one was in range of an alternate rock music station). Even worse, for a while in the 70s they had Top 15 radio (which made you hate even the occasional good songs that made it onto the playlist).

Mr Sausage

#54 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#55 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.
At least. ;-)

Rupert Pupkin

#56 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:07 am

frankiecrisp wrote: I suspect the alternate video is the same one included on the original DVD release of Don't Look Back, so it has indeed been around for years. However, a newly-edited version has just been released on-line to promote the new BOOTLEG TAPES VOL. 12 which features three different audio takes edited together and previously unseen footage of Dylan doing the cue card routine on a rooftop.

it would have been nice to have a dvd/blu ray included in the 19 cd set maybe Eat The Document will be considered for bootleg vol. 13 :wink:

"frankiecrisp" one of my favorite track of All Things Must Pass triple album by zeu way...

sorry for this newbie question-
due to my lack of money, I can't afford the extensive set Bob Dylan bootleg series...
the time where I could spend all my money in the obscure Vigotone box set "Jewels And Binoculars" is far away now...

I'm very happy with the Criterion Blu-Ray (very nice thin box set in the vein of the Monterey box) "Don't Look Back" :
I've watched almost all the extras now (great interview by Patti Smith, 65 Revisited (which is a amazing), etc...)
in fact there's a ton of extras, far more than I expected, for instance :
Snapshots from the Tour, a new piece featuring never-before-seen outtakes from Dont Look Back where I expected a photo gallerie with audio, these are even more film outtakes which are amazing!
In the end, I did not 3 different movie-cut of "Subterranean Homesick Blues"

New conversation between Pennebaker and Neuwirth about their work together -> here there some very exciting excerpts of what looks "Ballad of a thin man" (I have on DVD several transfer of "Eat The Document") - this looks more like the excerpt from "No direction home", but I don't know- perhaps due to my excitation I had the feeling that the camera angle is somehow different- alternate cut? (of course the song is not complete - u n f o r t u n a t e l y)
I've watched feverishly for the ending credits of this documentary and this footage is (c) 2015. They don't write next to (c) 2015 "Eat The Document".
The footage was in great shape (it doesn't look upscaled, but really in 1080 HD (as far as I can tell M.Scorsese's "No Direction Home" was not released on blu-ray).
You talked about a volume 13 of Bob Dylan bootleg series.
I've read some threads here and there on the steve hoffman forum.
Do you have read some rumours about the OST/soundtrack of the performance of "Eat The Document" to be released officially at last...
And what about "Eat The Document" on blu-ray...?
A Criterion release would have been fantastic judging all the extras on Don't Look Back
Is the presence of this color footage of the live performance of "Ballad Of A Thin Man" a hope that it will be released soon ?

Roger Ryan

#57 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:31 pm

I'm not frankiecrisp, but it appears you are addressing my quote (for the record, I like the Harrison song as well). I believe the alternate "Subterranean Homesick Blues" promo film with the additional rooftop footage (the strong winds keep blowing Dylan's lyric cards around!) was just recently put together to promote the recent Dylan box set and it's likely Criterion did not have access to the footage when compiling the Don't Look Back set. Or, perhaps, an additional licensing fee was required to use the previously unseen footage and Criterion demurred.

As to your question: although No Direction Home was only given a DVD release, I'm almost certain that the Eat The Document footage was scanned in HD in preparation for use in the Scorsese film. Therefore, the appearance of some of this footage in HD on the Don't Look Back set is not indicative of a full Eat The Document release. By the way, wouldn't "The Bootleg Series Vol. 4" release already constitute a soundtrack to that film?

zedz

#58 Post by zedz » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:07 pm

A really great release, with the new material of a very high quality. Patti Smith's interview is an unexpected gem, and the new outtakes dredged up for Snapshots of the Tour somehow manage to be revealing. The most interesting scene is one where Joan Baez offers a bag of fruit to a guy with his family crammed into a van, then asks him if he wants to meet Bob Dylan. He does, and, lo and behold, Dylan is relaxed and charming with him. A sweet scene that would have completely changed the tenor of the original film. There's also the Baez version of Dylan's encounter with Donovan, where she rather obnoxiously 'leads' Marianne Faithfull in a singalong of 'As Tears Go By', drowning out Marianne with her ostentatious invented harmony part.

hearthesilence

#59 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:41 am

Roger Ryan wrote:As to your question: although No Direction Home was only given a DVD release...
Actually a 2k DCP (or most likely 2k - this was 2005, so I doubt 4k would've been done) was created for this film when it premiered at the Ziegfeld prior to its television broadcast - that ain't cheap, so I imagine an HD master must exist somewhere.

flyonthewall2983

#60 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 pm