167-169 The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
flyonthewall2983

Re: 167-169 The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

#76 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:03 pm

dwk wrote:The following seems to be a new addition to the special features:
1987 interview with Pete Townshend on Monterey and Jimi Hendrix
That was on the previous one too.

Ribs

#77 Post by Ribs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:17 am

Ribs

#78 Post by Ribs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 pm

hearthesilence

#79 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Ribs wrote:Beaver
The 2009 doesn't look bad at all, but the color and especially the grain on the new one is quite impressive.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#80 Post by cdnchris » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:ok, so the "outtakes" are not "expanded" ? :oops: (for instance : Laura Nyo (still only 2 songs (Poverty Train and a little bit of the end of Wedding Bell Blues)
they were not in 1080p24 contrary to the main movie "Monterey", "just" "i" but still the picture was really good.
I don't know if only the main movie has the X4 treatment... (and they could re-author and re-encoded the "outtakes" blu-ray to 1080p24 (using their previous transfer) without being a X4 transfer...)
Moby Grape, Steve Miller (Blues) Band, and Grateful Dead have been added. Otherwise everything else is the same, still lossy audio, still looks like SD upscale.

Rupert Pupkin

#81 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:51 am

thanks chris; too bad for Laura Nyro...

By the way, is the outtakes Blu-Ray now in 1080p24 ?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#82 Post by cdnchris » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:21 am

They don't look any better than what was on the old Blu-ray and look like standard-def upscales sadly. I'm not at all sure why they get their own disc. They're still in Dolby Digital as well. The only advantage here are the new outtakes.

rossen

#83 Post by rossen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Is the UK version region free? That's what it says on Amazon UK site. I've preordered it (when the price dropped to 14.99 pounds) but I don't have a region free player.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#84 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:05 pm

I believe the US releases are Region A locked and the UK releases Region B locked.

rossen

#85 Post by rossen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Thank you, Swo. Gift to my wife's brother then.

charal

#86 Post by charal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:30 am

I have various region A Criterion blu rays and they all play on my region B Panasonic. (As discussed elsewhere all you need to do is to press stop after the region warning appears and then press top menu: the disc then plays.)

The odd thing about this 3 disc set is that only 2 discs work. The OTIS/HENDRIX disc will not play. Anyone got any theories? This is the first time a Criterion disc has let me down. (Fortunately I still have my original DVD set so I’m not too bothered.)

Anyone noticed that the Grateful Dead footage is edited? If you watch it on YouTube you will notice that about 1 minute is cut before the finale chorus. This is the famous ‘freakout’ section. Good to see it in better quality.

hearthesilence

#87 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:06 am

Is the Otis/Hendrix disc a clone of the old one? That wasn't restored like the main feature, so unless they added extras, it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to continue pressing discs from the old disc master. Perhaps that's why the region compatibility would be different?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#88 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:11 am

They changed the menu but otherwise everything else is identical.

charal

#89 Post by charal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Were the original blu ray menus different on the first Criterion issues? Did that apply to other releases at the same time too? Thanks for the info, it seems plausible.

flyonthewall2983

Re:

#90 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:52 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Well, maybe aggression-wise Mitchell was Moon-influenced.. to deny his influence over every Brit drummer would be total lunacy. But whereas Mitch was a double-breasted spiffy jazzboy prior to his Hendrix audition (interesting tidbit is it was a tossup between Mitch & Aynsley Dunbar, who wound up getting snatched up by the only rock guitarist who could, at the time, or any time, show Jimi a thing or two: Zappa. Dubar later went over to join Journey), Keith Moon was an undisciplined maniac who played from pure, raw, instinct. Rumor had it if he laid off the drums between albums/tours, he had to sit down over a few days & totally reteach himself. Proof of his lack of training is his complete initial obliviousness to a hi-hat, even by the time of playing w the Who (later he used one, as he gained god status in the 70's). Look at his set in monterey-- he has his usual kit for the period which stuck a thinner, atrophied ride or a dampened little crash (doubt it was a splash) cymbal in the hihat position. Mitch had full jazz-chops & varied abilities (very Elvin Jones influenced), whereas Moon was just a storm of fills and his own very cool groove. But limited.

When I compare him to masters like Colaiuta above, I mean that from the purely maniacal-monster angle, in filling spot after spot with the heaviest, impossibly fast & deafening rolls & fills. Colaiuta could match that crazy emotional energy to the tee.
Nick Mason of Pink Floyd and Stewart Copeland were guests on Amazon's The Grand Tour recently, and I think Mason said the only thing the two of them agreed on was that Mitchell was their favorite drummer. I've been listening to a lot of Hendrix lately, and I've grown to appreciate his style much more, having preferred the flash Buddy Miles would bring on certain songs and definitely during the Band of Gypsys period.

Moon reminds me of what I think of Jim Morrison, in that there's no way he could have flourished the way he did in any other band. Conversely that the other members of their respective bands without them could have become reasonably successful (on their own or in other bands), but never as iconic with that wildcard they both were. This video on Moon's technique and role in the band made me respect a little more of what he was doing, even as a huge Who fan.

rrot

#91 Post by rrot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:34 pm

charal wrote:Anyone noticed that the Grateful Dead footage is edited? If you watch it on YouTube you will notice that about 1 minute is cut before the finale chorus. This is the famous ‘freakout’ section. Good to see it in better quality.
Other than that edit, do we get the complete set here?

charal

#92 Post by charal » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:25 pm

Viola Lee was the only track apparently filmed. This is stated on the info band on the disc.

flyonthewall2983

#93 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 am

Watched all 3 for the first time. The Hendrix and Redding films stand on their own a bit for me from the main feature, though the Ravi Shankar finale is mesmerizing. I read he played for something like 4 hours.
dwk wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:55 pm
The following seems to be a new addition to the special features:
1987 interview with Pete Townshend on Monterey and Jimi Hendrix
Minor nitpick but this interview is definitely from around a decade later. Townshend is fully bald and looks like he did during the Quadrophenia tour.

flyonthewall2983

Re:

#94 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:01 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:49 am
Speaking of 60's rock & Monterey....

Hendrix' supposed last concert with the original Experience lineup ( i e w Noel Redding on bass), at the Royal Albert Hall on 2-29-69, was filmed with the intention of being released theatrically under the title "EXPERIENCE".

Except for an apparently single screening, maybe two, the film was never released. The soundtrack has floated around in two parts, sometimes one, usually under the title "Original Soundtrack to the Film EXPERIENCE".

This file exists as something called a "torrent" file at the Traders Den. Inasmuch as I have no idea what the hell that file is, nor do I have the kind of setup to make my own DVDs at home, does anyone know of any official or unofficial releases out there of this excellent Hendrix concert, i e a SuperHappyFun type of release. The footage exists-- obviously-- but it's never been put out and it's been sort of a Holy Grail for me for years. I love these versions of ROOM FULL OF MIRRORS, LITTLE WING (called 'Little Ivey' here), SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE (as an instrumental), Elmore James' BLEEDING HEART, and THE SMASHING OF THE AMPS where you here him fiddling around with lines from STAR SPANGLED BANNER before demolishing his setup, months before Woodstock. There's a great gloomy, maudlin tone to the concert here, though the playing is very tight & Jimi is in great form. Dave Mason also sits in with the band, right around prior to the formation of BLIND FAITH.

It's been rumored that Experience Hendrix LLC has acquired the rights to this, but god knows how long it'll take, if it comes out at all..
Later this month it will have it's first public screening, at the Royal Albert Hall. It's being touted as "one night only", with no plans for any further release. Highly odd, but I'd guess this is down to legalities that may have prevented it from being released all this time.