895 David Lynch: The Art Life

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Minkin

Re: 895 David Lynch: The Art Life

#26 Post by Minkin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:25 am

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#27 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:15 pm

NWRdr4

#28 Post by NWRdr4 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:26 pm

About seven minutes into this, Lynch appears to be coloring with some sort of inky material on what looks like a sheet of plastic. Does anyone know what exactly he’s doing? I’m guessing he’s going to make a print off it—it looks like some of his lithographs I’ve seen, although I always assumed lithography generally required a lot of specialized material (like you see in his film Idem Paris: limestone tablets, big machine presses, etc.). What Lynch is doing seems much more casual—the kind of thing you can do with stuff from a local art store... As an amateur artist who knows very little about this type of stuff, I’d love to try and emulate it if possible.

I actually did show some clips of the film to employees at a local art store. They were very patient with me (God love them) but weren’t entirely sure themselves. Any help in the right direction (purpose, technique, materials, etc.) would be much appreciated!

R0lf

#29 Post by R0lf » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:49 pm

It looks like he's drawing on acetate. It would have the benefit when working with soft/water based materials that he could smudge/shade/build texture AND erase as he goes - where if he was working directly on paper it would mark and he wouldn't have the same freedom to shape it.

NWRdr4

#30 Post by NWRdr4 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Ah, thanks a bunch! That gave my detective work some direction, and I found some examples of how these drawings on acetate could be turned into prints. You mentioned
R0lf wrote:soft/water based materials...
Do you have any idea what specific materials Lynch is using in that scene? (Alas, if only I could just phone him up and ask...)