903 Jabberwocky

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Morbii

Re: 903 Jabberwocky

#26 Post by Morbii » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 am

I’m with Hate Ball on this one. I was excited for it, but was ultimately disappointed in a big way, save for one scene which I found genuinely hilarious.

Industriousness

#27 Post by Industriousness » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:39 pm

hi,
Reviving this instead of starting a new thread..
In contrast to most of the opinions posted above, I like this movie, and was going to pick up the blu this week. But looking at the description, I see that the original mono soundtrack isn't included, only a 5.1 remix. Is/was anyone else disappointed by this? I don't see any discussion of the subject online.
Personally, I'm not sure if I'm still going to buy it; I really hate revisionism..

knives

#28 Post by knives » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:28 pm

I can definitely see why this is stirring up little conversation as this is a film built for seemingly nobody. You can call me Nemo though as I got a kick out of it. It’s almost as if Gilliam couldn’t figure out a way to start a film outside of Terry Jones’ interests, but also was incapable of being Jones. So instead of a Gilliam feature necessarily we get an irreverent and detail oriented medieval tale aka Jones that completely lacks his narrative sense and replaces it with Gilliam’s interest in man’s cruelty through apathy.

There’s a lot here that feels like a Brazil dry run as Palin is rendered unique by being sincere and optimistic. Everyone else, king included, is oblivious to the point of being completely dispassionate. The beggar who cut off his foot might be the strongest human connection in the first half of the film.