898 Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Dylan

Re: Forthcoming: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

#126 Post by Dylan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Even though David Lynch has said numerous times that he wouldn't be interested in creating an alternate cut of any of his films, I still have to wonder if there will be a director-approved "comprehensive" re-edited version of Fire Walk With Me here. I'm one of those who finds every single "Missing Pieces" scene to be indispensable, and for me (and I imagine some other Twin Peaks fans) it would be great if Lynch could supervise an official extended version, putting all (or some) of the "Missing Pieces" back in.

Again, going by what Lynch has said in the past anything of this sort is probably not happening, but if this isn't it I have no idea what could possibly be added to a Fire Walk With Me release. I guess we'll find out.

Gregory

Re: Criterion Newsletter: Clues and More, Volume Four

#127 Post by Gregory » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:41 pm

soundchaser wrote:The Entire Mystery Set can be had for nearly the SRP of a standard Criterion, and cheaper than a 2-discer, with a minimum amount of searching.
I've only rarely done any real shopping on eBay in recent years, so maybe I'm missing something but it looks like five brand new copies of the set just blew out the door for $14.99 + shipping. Odd... why so cheap?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#128 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Could be cut-outs or just stolen (ahem, "fell off a truck")

teddyleevin

#129 Post by teddyleevin » Tue May 02, 2017 1:35 am

I love this film; I would be glad to buy a Criterion edition. I just can't see it happening or being anything but superfluous. We know the recent Doc is coming in one form or another, so maybe it's just a sideways clue towards Lynch. It would be such a waste of a slot and I can't imagine CBS wanting to split sales when a new season is coming out.

The Narrator Returns

#130 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue May 02, 2017 1:46 am

I wonder if this will be part of a catch-all Lynch box set, with maybe the doc, his remaining shorts, and the three Lynchs not available on Blu-Ray in the U.S. Otherwise, I can't see the point unless they really go all-out (although I'd probably buy even a mediocre separate release like the dope that I am).

Minkin

#131 Post by Minkin » Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 am

Did most of Lynch's films revert back to him, and Criterion then picked them up?

It seems rather coincidental that Janus now own the rights to both Fire Walk with Me and Mulholland Dr around the exact same time.

dwk

#132 Post by dwk » Tue May 02, 2017 9:32 am

I do think it is possible that the US rights The Straight Story and Lost Highway have reverted to Lynch's Asymmetrical Productions and Janus has/will license them.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#133 Post by jindianajonz » Tue May 02, 2017 12:44 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:I wonder if this will be part of a catch-all Lynch box set, with maybe the doc, his remaining shorts, and the three Lynchs not available on Blu-Ray in the U.S. Otherwise, I can't see the point unless they really go all-out (although I'd probably buy even a mediocre separate release like the dope that I am).
Has Criterion ever hinted at a lone film from a box set as opposed to the box itself?

jwd5275

#134 Post by jwd5275 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Taipei Story and Mysterious Object at Noon immediately come to mind...

kcota17

#135 Post by kcota17 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:53 pm

But c'mon, with how much each Lynch film would be a big seller (even The Straight Story or Lost Highway), I doubt they'd throw all his films into a boxset.

If Wes Anderson, Chaplin, Lloyd, Bergman. Fellini or Kurosawa don't get their films just thrown into boxsets, then Lynch, who is equally or even more popular than some of those directors, definitely wouldn't.

The Narrator Returns

#136 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue May 02, 2017 12:57 pm

jindianajonz wrote:
The Narrator Returns wrote:I wonder if this will be part of a catch-all Lynch box set, with maybe the doc, his remaining shorts, and the three Lynchs not available on Blu-Ray in the U.S. Otherwise, I can't see the point unless they really go all-out (although I'd probably buy even a mediocre separate release like the dope that I am).
Has Criterion ever hinted at a lone film from a box set as opposed to the box itself?
I believe they only specifically hinted at Stromboli from the Bergman-Rossellini box set.

Werewolf by Night

#137 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue May 02, 2017 3:22 pm

kcota17 wrote:Fellini or Kurosawa don't get their films just thrown into boxsets, then Lynch, who is equally or even more popular than some of those directors, definitely wouldn't.

Werewolf by Night

#138 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue May 02, 2017 3:24 pm

I could totally see Criterion doing some kind of limited Complete David Lynch box set if the rights to everything are available to them.

kcota17

#139 Post by kcota17 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:37 pm

..... okay that ONE time.

I just don't see it happen. They would've have done it with Chaplin or Lloyd first before if they were planning on going to the boxset route with a popular director whose films they own the rights to.

It'll definitely be a release on its own. It will definitely sell. Lynch and Twin Peaks are guaranteed top sellers.

And if Criterion could do a release of Dr. Strangelove and find some way to make that release seem of value, then they can do that with any movie.

They'll release it in a nice digipak with nice artwork, add some new interviews, all the old existing features, MAYBE a new cut or the Lynch doc and there ya go.

But I just can't see them going the boxset route with Lynch at all.

McNulty

#140 Post by McNulty » Tue May 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Cutting into their own profits by releasing a box set of Lynch films that bear no connection to one another would be beyond silly and there's no chance Criterion of all labels would do that. Each of his films have been and will be huge sellers, standalone releases are guaranteed. See: Chaplin, Lloyd, Tarkovsky, etc

med

#141 Post by med » Tue May 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Plus, high-school kids can't afford large box sets.

Dead or Deader

#142 Post by Dead or Deader » Tue May 02, 2017 5:16 pm

The kids are too busy uploading Twin Peaks episodes onto their tablet to even cared about purchasing physical media!

dda1996a

#143 Post by dda1996a » Tue May 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Hey I watched the second season abroad on my tablet, and I'm a physical media, 35mm loving sort of guy

oh yeah

#144 Post by oh yeah » Wed May 03, 2017 2:35 am

Wild at Heart already has a solid blu-ray or two, right? If not, I could see a "Lynch in the 90s" set. I wish, anyway - that was, to me, easily his most fruitful and successful decade (even though I'm not a huge fan of WAH).

kcota17

#145 Post by kcota17 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:43 am

No, Wild at Heart will get an individual release as well.

oh yeah

#146 Post by oh yeah » Wed May 03, 2017 3:05 am

kcota17 wrote:No, Wild at Heart will get an individual release as well.
Sorry, my sarcasm detector's off - are you joking or is this actually in the works?

Actually, looking it up now, WAH seems to only have that Twilight Time blu in terms of US representation, and the other few Euro releases are quite a bit older. I could definitely see that happening, especially as the TT was a limited edition, and thus pretty much impossible to buy new for less then $50-60 now.

Finch

#147 Post by Finch » Wed May 03, 2017 6:05 am

For FWWM, the biggest draw would absolutely be an extended version of the film cut by Lynch himself or Caleb Deschanel since Lynch and Sweeney seem to be estranged from each other (I did an edit myself which was 15 mins or so longer which included the Black Lodge and Bowie sequences in their entirety, the scene at the Haywards, the drive to Partyland, the scene of Laura smiling under the fan, the extended scene of Bobby and Laura on the couch in the basement, with Major Briggs and wife bookending that scene with their bible reading and the Log Lady hearing Laura's and Ronette's screams).

Criterion could interview critics and cast members who disliked FWWM back then but have changed their mind since; an interview with Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise would be essential as well.

teddyleevin

#148 Post by teddyleevin » Wed May 03, 2017 11:12 am

Finch wrote:For FWWM, the biggest draw would absolutely be an extended version of the film cut by Lynch himself or Caleb Deschanel since Lynch and Sweeney seem to be estranged from each other (I did an edit myself which was 15 mins or so longer which included the Black Lodge and Bowie sequences in their entirety, the scene at the Haywards, the drive to Partyland, the scene of Laura smiling under the fan, the extended scene of Bobby and Laura on the couch in the basement, with Major Briggs and wife bookending that scene with their bible reading and the Log Lady hearing Laura's and Ronette's screams).
Though, with Lynch (as recently as 2014) opting to include all of those extended/missing scenes as an alternate and separate feature-length idea, I would be shocked if he would be so quick as to change the theatrical edit at all. When I watch the film, my knowledge of the missing scenes fills the landscape of my mind anyway, even if I don't need to see them all. I think the nearly 4-hour fan-edits are a bridge-and-a-half too far, but I think your choices are excellent and are pretty much exactly what I suggest to folks when they ask which deleted scenes I would want back in (even if I love the more comical scenes to feature the TP regulars). My only addition would be Laura's tense escape from her window, nearly being discovered on her way to James' motorcycle. That under-the-fan scene could be the 2nd or 3rd greatest moment in the film/deleted scenes.

All this said, I still don't see this happening, but as previous posters have stated, it would seem more on-the-ball if we got a few other (or just one) Lynch features in the same month.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#149 Post by swo17 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:26 am

Let's be realistic here--it's just going to be a 4K transfer of the theatrical cut, a couple of interviews, and a bad cover.

teddyleevin

#150 Post by teddyleevin » Wed May 03, 2017 11:43 am

Brutally true. I can see it now.....