898 Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
teddyleevin

Re: Twin Peaks

#101 Post by teddyleevin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:57 pm

Definitely not legal (like most fan-edits, it's essentially a bootleg that goes out of its way to defy the creators, regardless of whether or not its an improvement), so much so that any Twin Peaks podcast or website I've found may mention it but will go out of its way to not even directly recommend it. Given the current publicity for TP, I'd be shocked if they didn't get a cease and desist.

willoneill

Re: Criterion Newsletter: Clues and More, Volume Four

#102 Post by willoneill » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:25 pm

I guess the justification is that right now, FWWM is only available in the complete Twin Peaks set?

criterion10

#103 Post by criterion10 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:26 pm

FWIW, Paramount did re-release the Twin Peaks set a little while back, leaving out the tenth disc of Fire Walk with Me-related extras. It really does seem odd and pointless for Criterion to bother with, but perhaps (I'm still not sold) it is simply a way of giving the film an individual release that could sell on its own -- and timed accordingly with the revival.

oh yeah

#104 Post by oh yeah » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Can't see how FWWM would happen after barely 3 years ago getting an official, extremely comprehensive, basically perfect director-approved release/transfer, stacked with loads of extras, etc.

But I guess that this would allow people to purchase the film separate from the series? I love the way that the new set forces you to contemplate them as a full package, but that would be nice I suppose. What could Criterion do with the transfer that wasn't already perfected on the latest release, though? It's just odd.

dwk

#105 Post by dwk » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Other than a new 4K remaster, I'm not sure what they can add to Fire Walk with Me, but I can't think of anything else that it could be. Maybe they are doing a Blu-ray box set of a number of David Lynch's films.

PfR73

#106 Post by PfR73 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:32 pm

But why would anyone even want to buy the film separately from the series? Is there really a subset of people who want Fire Walk With Me, but don't want the series AND decided to hold off buying the set in hopes it would be released separately? I could maybe see it the other way around, but not like this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#107 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Let's hope we're all wrong here, because think of all the titles Criterion is sitting or or not licensing and then putting out a film already well-represented in Blu-ray

oh yeah

#108 Post by oh yeah » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:37 pm

PfR73 wrote:But why would anyone even want to buy the film separately from the series? Is there really a subset of people who want Fire Walk With Me, but don't want the series AND decided to hold off buying the set in hopes it would be released separately? I could maybe see it the other way around, but not like this.
I've actually seen a decent amount of posts from people who don't have blu ray players and want the new FWWM release, complete with Missing Pieces, or already have the Gold Box maybe but are really only interested in getting FWWM on blu (?), etc. It's not too unusual.

Also even though the series and film are obviously related, the cost of the EM set is a bit prohibitive and a lot of people will just buy Lynch films as Lynch films while either ignoring the series or being content to stream it on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/Showtime, and so on. It's an odd decision to put this out but especially with the new season coming up it makes enough sense.
Last edited by oh yeah on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#109 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Fire Walk with Me will supposedly get an individual French BD release by Potemkine, who is at least re-releasing the movie in French theaters. There might thus be an opening for independant labels.

EDIT : here is the cover art for the French BD :
Last edited by tenia on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#110 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:40 pm

tenia wrote:Fire Walk with Me will supposedly get an individual French BD release by Potemkine, who is at least re-releasing the movie in French theaters. There might thus be an opening for independant labels.
As someone who considers the entire TV series apocrypha, this move makes perfect sense to me.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#111 Post by soundchaser » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:43 pm

The Entire Mystery Set can be had for nearly the SRP of a standard Criterion, and cheaper than a 2-discer, with a minimum amount of searching. If it is Fire Walk With Me - one of my favorite films of all time, mind you - it's a truly baffling move and a tremendously frustrating waste of a slot, given that The Straight Story and Lost Highway remain unreleased on Blu-Ray in the US.

Newsnayr

#112 Post by Newsnayr » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:22 pm

To lend further evidence, according to Jon Dieringer (of Screen Slate) the rights for Fire Walk With Me revert to Janus next month. https://twitter.com/jondotd/status/858037663605166081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FrauBlucher

#113 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:39 pm

In that case, this release is probably not around the corner.

HitchcockLang

#114 Post by HitchcockLang » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:47 pm

I am of the tiny camp that has only seen FWWM and never seen the series (I bought the movie on DVD for $3 from Dollar General when I was in high school). I have been eyeing the blu-ray box though. Still, I agree this is a weird choice for Criterion.

Ribs

#115 Post by Ribs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:27 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:In that case, this release is probably not around the corner.
Is it? Surely if with CBS they'd have been permitted to work on it if the rights haven't yet reverted as they have a working relationship with them?

Is there any chance they're releasing *the show*? I still think back to the SCMS gossip where they said they had TV releases upcoming, and since then we've only had Dekalog.

ianungstad

#116 Post by ianungstad » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:43 pm

SCMS gossip?

Ribs

#117 Post by Ribs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:16 pm

I might be misremembering the source, it's from a few years back now.

AquaNarc

#118 Post by AquaNarc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Unlikely but...maybe Criterion will be doing the Season 3 blu-ray and this will come out the same month?

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#119 Post by Omensetter » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Jgh8xxx wrote: What the hell could Criterion possibly add to this release?
David Lynch: The Art Life

A smart business move to capitalize on the new season, nineties nostalgia, its massive cult following, etc.

To echo others, Lost Highway or The Straight Story would have been preferable.

ianungstad

#120 Post by ianungstad » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Why would Amazon Studios agree to release the doc as an extra? I would think they would demand a standalone release. Remember, it's their film and they are just using Janus as their "distribution partner".

captveg

#121 Post by captveg » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:02 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:In that case, this release is probably not around the corner.
They'll undoubtedly time it in the Fall when Showtime releases the new series on BD/DVD.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#122 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Is it possible that they aren't actually going to release FWWM but were just really proud to have come up with the pun Fire Wok with Meat?

Roger Ryan

#123 Post by Roger Ryan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 am

Criterion could fix the audio synchronization problem found on the Blu-ray set so I could watch the film in 1080/24p instead of 1080/60p (the setting which corrects the synchronization issue on my player). Still, as big of a Lynch fan as I am, I doubt I'd buy this title again.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#124 Post by cdnchris » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:15 am

I bought the set (the cheaper one) primarily for FWWM. I like the show but am not sure how much I may watch it so... meh.

eerik

#125 Post by eerik » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:16 am

dwk wrote:Other than a new 4K remaster, I'm not sure what they can add to Fire Walk with Me, but I can't think of anything else that it could be. Maybe they are doing a Blu-ray box set of a number of David Lynch's films.
The Entire Mystery version already is from a 4K master.