936 Bull Durham

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Fiery Angel

Re: 936 Bull Durham

#26 Post by Fiery Angel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:44 pm

And don't forget: Costner almost made the collection earlier, but Kasdan cut him from "The Big Chill."

flyonthewall2983

#27 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Criterion put out Silverado on laserdisc

Fiery Angel

#28 Post by Fiery Angel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:19 pm

What's a laserdisc?

hearthesilence

#29 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:17 pm

domino harvey wrote:Robin Hood is great. All you're doing is convincing/reminding me that Costner is awesome, hearthesilence
And everything I do, I do it for you.

Luke M

#30 Post by Luke M » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 pm

This thread got me thinking about how I still hadn’t watched A Perfect World all the way through yet. I watched it tonight and I think Costner’s performance is actually better than the movie itself. I also wasn’t ready for a young-ish Laura Dern to be tenaciously fighting off her male colleagues every scene.

Also, the scene where Costner parks next to the side of a building where there’s a huge Bull Durham sign nearly took me out of the movie.

flyonthewall2983

#31 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:31 am

John Shade wrote:I still prefer Field of Dreams to Bull Durham as the baseball movie, even if it has a few annoying moments and cliches. If Draft Day isn't for sports fans, I'm not sure who it's for; that being said I like sports, the NFL draft, and the almost soap opera quality of that movie (the "super bowl" chant at the end was icing on the cake). It's a sports movie that seems eternal, seeing as the Browns are days away from being on the clock yet again.
If you framed it right, the 30 For 30 on the 1983 draft, Elway To Marino would make for a hell of a movie I think. Besides setting the tone for much of the NFL in the 80's there are a lot of personal narratives that could be ripe for dramatic retelling.

I'd say The Natural is better than both, since Redford is a more convincing leading man. Even if I'm just channel-surfing I still get goosebumps at the end.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#32 Post by barryconvex » Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 am

I just remembered Costner's appearance in Truth Or Dare from 1991. His "your show was really....neat" comment to Madonna and her reaction to it kinda put him in the uncool ghetto for life.

miless

#33 Post by miless » Sun May 27, 2018 3:01 pm

barryconvex wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 am
I just remembered Costner's appearance in Truth Or Dare from 1991. His "your show was really....neat" comment to Madonna and her reaction to it kinda put him in the uncool ghetto for life.
I guess it was... uh, "neat" enough for Kurt Cobain to recreate with Sonic Youth

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#34 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 27, 2018 3:31 pm

I can't believe I forgot my fav Costner perf/movie is also tangentially sports-related, Mike Binder's the Upside of Anger, which casts Costner as a former baseball pro who hosts a sports radio show. Costner was robbed of an Oscar nom, as was Binder for his screenplay-- the movie is the closest thing to American Desplechin I've ever seen

FrauBlucher

#35 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Luke M

#36 Post by Luke M » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Beaver yikes

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 pm

I was never going to buy this anyways, but gross

hearthesilence

#38 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 pm

The blue color on the uniforms looks completely off. This is especially egregious as team uniform colors have probably the most recognizable use of color anywhere. (For example, any baseball fan will recognize the shade of red associated with the Cincinnati Reds vs. the shade of red used by the St. Louis Cardinals - it'll be as clear as night and day.)

nitin

#39 Post by nitin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Although as his own review (and some comparison caps) points out, the tealing seems to be noticeably exacerbated by Gary’s capturing software and technique.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#40 Post by Drucker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Regardless of how it actually looks, directionally it is similar to the recent poor looking 4k of Seven-Ups.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#41 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:40 am

nitin wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:22 pm
Although as his own review (and some comparison caps) points out, the tealing seems to be noticeably exacerbated by Gary’s capturing software and technique.
This is basically just Gary realising because of a challenging color grading how he's been wrongly taking screencaptures so far.

The first thing I did when starting to do screencaptures (I too was using Total Media Theatre) was comparing them with caps-a-holic's one (I used Raiders of the Lost Ark for that) and with what I was seeing on my Panasonic (at least in terms of overall aspect - my TV is setup as best as possible with a Spears & Munsils disc but isn't calibrated -). Then, when I had recently to change the software for this and switched to VLC, I realised that their JPG captures were as a whole much smaller in file size that I used to. I then found out they were having weird compression blocks they shouldn't have.
A quick look at the histogram of the same frame captures by VLC, once in PNG and once in JPG, showed that their JPG compression isn't as transparent as I expected and was creating some tiny RGB changes.

I doubt Gary ever simply checked that (or never realised there was something wrong) before starting doing thousands of captures but he's probably now simply full of unfaithful captures because of that. The best example probably is his Dr Strangelove screencaps, for which the Criterion seemed to not be 100% pure B&W, except it is, but his screencaps method is that perfectible.

So kudos for him to finally act on this, but honestly, he should have done that years ago.

It's unfortunate because it's not especially long to simply have a look at that (checking the graphic cards settings and VLC ones probably took me less than an hour altogether and once and for all), while it probably took him some time to just check Bull Durham on these 3 setups.

The worse is that it's possible he still has graphic options enabled that screws up his sceencaps, so we might be comparing older badly taken screencaps with newer still-badly-taken (but with another method) screencaps.
Drucker wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:45 pm
Regardless of how it actually looks, directionally it is similar to the recent poor looking 4k of Seven-Ups.
It does seem like it.

nitin

#42 Post by nitin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am

He isn’t doing anything about it though, even in the Bull Durham review he ends up sticking with the VLC caps.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#43 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:53 am

It's actually not a problem in itself to stick with VLC caps. I used to rely on Total Media Theatre until a Windows update definitely rendered it useless and forced me to switch to VLC, but my VLC caps are now virtually identical to the TMT ones (you have to zoom at least 400% to start noticing differences due to compression). So VLC isn't an issue in itself, though it of course needs to be properly setup.
But Gary might have other issues at play (like enabled graphic cards options) that are causing at least part of the historical issues his caps have. He thus can change softwares all he wants, it isn't going to solve all his issues if he has other interferences going on (at least, he does seem to output VLC caps in PNG which is the sole good option, as I wrote above). And sadly, with screencaps, it's an all or nothing situation : they have to be fully transparent to the source (both in terms of texture and RGB values), otherwise, what's the point.

A good test, if it's a color issue, would be to go back to Sony's Dr Strangelove and see if the caps he now gets are pure B&W or if they're slightly tinted again. If they're not, it'd be good news for him.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#44 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 am

Does any of this matter when no matter how one captures the disc, it still looks teal?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#45 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:34 am

In regard of this disc, I suppose it doesn't because the intensity of the change seems to be visible no matter how approximatively the caps are taken, though it can change the caps' blue shade and make it slightly greener, or the red jersey's and make it slightly pinker or more orange.

Nevertheless, it's of course always best to enquire how precisely representative the caps are, and you can see, for instance, how it can also impact the red jersey's color (which has been discussed above). Remember : we've perceived here the different shade of B&W between the Sony and Criterion Strangelove disc, and it was a matter of 2 points (RGB), which in theory is below the eye threshold for this. Yet, we picked it up.

So in this case : probably not, or maybe just a bit.
As a whole though : definitely yes.

colinr0380

#46 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Beyond the colour issue, there does noticeably look to be a lot more picture information on all sides of the image on the Criterion edition compared to the previous one, particularly on the left hand side of the frame.

hearthesilence

#47 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:24 pm

The more I look at those screencaps, the more horrible it looks. Take a look at the aqua sky behind Costner in that one close-up shot of him at home plate. That's so ridiculously unnatural. The sweater on Sarandon looks completely wrong, and the back of one player's uniform looks so ridiculously teal, it looks more like the Miami Dolphins' team colors.

Costa

#48 Post by Costa » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:47 pm

hearthesilence

#49 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Their own screencaps have a teal hue. And look how the uniforms in blu-ray.com's screenshots compare to the real-life game photo shown in that post.
Last edited by hearthesilence on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Costa

#50 Post by Costa » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:04 pm
Their own screencaps have a teal hue. And look how the uniforms in blu-ray.com's screenshots compare to the real-life game photo shown in that post.
I know... :D