948 The Princess Bride

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
beamish14

Re: 948 The Princess Bride

#51 Post by beamish14 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:01 pm

I might be the only person in existence who detests this film, so I should probably abstain from further comments

mteller

#52 Post by mteller » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:48 pm

Had to squeeze just one in there though, huh?

beamish14

#53 Post by beamish14 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:11 pm

mteller wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:48 pm
Had to squeeze just one in there though, huh?
I filled my quota

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#54 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:57 am

I gather that along with the release of the 4K (in the clothbound book packaging) the same packaging of the Blu-ray release has been discontinued and replaced with a standard Scanavo

therewillbeblus

#55 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:36 pm

Did Criterion ever acknowledge the playback issues people are experiencing with the UHD? Trying to decide whether it's worth ordering during the sale next Tuesday or putting off until they correct the disc

nicolas

#56 Post by nicolas » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:28 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:Did Criterion ever acknowledge the playback issues people are experiencing with the UHD? Trying to decide whether it's worth ordering during the sale next Tuesday or putting off until they correct the disc
Unfortunately they didn’t, which is certainly disappointing for their otherwise great customer service.

I took the plunge and got myself the UHD despite issues being confirmed to occur on the player I use (Panasonic UB824). Mine played back flawlessly in DV all the way through. Granted, my disc wasn’t scratched but that wasn’t an issue with those reporting the problems.

I’d just say go with it and check immediately for problems at the beginning of some of the chapters. In case there are issues, Criterion could then issue you a replacement disc. I’m currently working with them in getting roughly 20 scratched discs (hands down the record in my collection- no other label comes close) replaced for free and it’s a smooth process even though I’m from Germany. Based on this, I’m surprised about their reluctance in getting this strange issue solved that likely prevents a good chunk of potential sales.

therewillbeblus

#57 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:51 pm

I've been emailing with Criterion and the latest response is that they are working on diagnosing the problem, and "ideally we hope to provide replacement discs but you may need to wait 4-6 weeks for that to get finalized."

It seems like they're still unsure what the issue is, but they named all the players being cited as having issues with the disc and it's pretty funny because I'm pretty sure it's a list of every UHD player that exists, including Oppos

nicolas

#58 Post by nicolas » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:54 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:I've been emailing with Criterion and the latest response is that they are working on diagnosing the problem, and "ideally we hope to provide replacement discs but you may need to wait 4-6 weeks for that to get finalized."

It seems like they're still unsure what the issue is, but they named all the players being cited as having issues with the disc and it's pretty funny because I'm pretty sure it's a list of every UHD player that exists, including Oppos
That’s insane! Hopefully this has a happy end for you and all other affected customers. This is one of the strangest issues to plague a new release without a culprit one can point at.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#59 Post by cdnchris » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:55 pm

Looks like Criterion has replacement discs ready. This is the email I received. Follows their usual instructions:
Since you originally wrote to us, we received additional reports of playback issues for select copies of these discs (primarily on select players, including Panasonic DP-UB820, PlayStation 5 consoles, Oppo UDP-205 and 203 players, and some Sony UBP-X700). The issue usually presents itself as skipping, freezing and pixelation. The timeframe for the error varies.

Newly pressed replacement discs are now available and we are starting by contacting folks who were in touch with us previously.

Please write your name and current date on the faulty PRINCESS BRIDE 4K UHD disc using a sharpie or paint marker and send us a photo. Also provide your shipping address within the email. Do not mark up the Blu-ray disc(s) or the packaging, as only the 4K UHD disc will be replaced.

You do not need to return the defective disc to us but please hold on to it until your replacement is received.

therewillbeblus

#60 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:58 pm

Just wanna mention for anyone who has players with the option of HDR vs. DV, this had playback issues when converted to HDR on my old player/TV not supporting Dolby Vision, but played flawlessly in DV on my new system. I imagine most people have played with this, but it's worth attempting if not