332 Viridiana

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
bunuelian

#51 Post by bunuelian » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:37 pm

I disagree. The film is the story of Viridiana's redemption from the clutches of her self- and world-denying religious oppression. She goes through a breaking down of her naiive ideals and at the end of the film finally seems comfortable in her own skin.

Bunuel doesn't mock Viridiana for trying to be charitable, but he shows how pointless charity is without an understanding of the world. The theme is often repeated in his films. Nazarin letting those around him take advantage of him, the headmaster at the school giving the boy money is Los Olvidados, Mathieu's gifts of money to Conchita. The chaotic last supper and her rape are the final obliterating events which save her from her own obliviousness, which the Church wanted to protect. We should celebrate her rebirth into the world.

Sometimes the events in Bunuel's films are more for the effect they will have on the audience rather than telling the story. The burning crown of thorns is an obvious example, but I think the final scene fits into this category. It's intended to send sexual conservatives running for the doors with their heads on fire. Bunuel intended for this film to mortally offend the people who were financing it, and it worked.

Gwynne Edwards' discussion of Viridiana in "The Discreet Art of Luis Bunuel" is quite good.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#52 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:50 pm

> at the end of the film finally seems comfortable in her own skin.

Not the way I see it. (Not up to this point, in any event).

Cinephrenic

#53 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:25 pm

I'm absolutely amazed that no documentary has ever been made about this film
I'm quite amazed that there is much material over Bunuel in general.

justeleblanc

#54 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:36 pm

bunuelian wrote:I disagree. The film is the story of Viridiana's redemption from the clutches of her self- and world-denying religious oppression. She goes through a breaking down of her naiive ideals and at the end of the film finally seems comfortable in her own skin ...
Well said. In some ways then it's similar to von Trier's ZENTROPA where you have the same protagonist drowning in their own naivete or being raped by it.

kinjitsu

#55 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:34 pm

A gift for the generalissmo!

Edit image location
Last edited by kinjitsu on Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinephrenic

#56 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:43 pm

Hilarious! :lol:

I think Bunuel would have made a great diplomat with his films.

swingo

#57 Post by swingo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:32 pm

That cartoon made by the late Alberto Isaac initiated both Buñuel and Isaac's friendship for years and years, Buñuel was grateful to Isaac because it was a truly hard time for Buñuel here in México when many people misunderstood his going to Spain.

Later, when Isaac made his film: "En Este Pueblo No Hay Ladrones" (there are no thieves in this town), Buñuel acted as a priest innit, giving a hilarious and memorable speech.

kieslowski_67

#58 Post by kieslowski_67 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:06 am

It's so funny that I originally thought that the release is for "Tristana" instead of "Viridiana".

Any more Bunuel titles are welcome and especially since I have not got this one on DVD as of yet. :D

Narshty

#59 Post by Narshty » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:42 pm

Am I right in thinking this is the first Spanish film in the (DVD) collection thus far?

Lino

#60 Post by Lino » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:12 pm

gigimonagas wrote:
cinephrenic wrote:I can't believe you guys are sidetracking this one, this news is monumental as Ugetsu!

The Milky Way, Exterminating Angel, Simon of the Desert, Tristana are pretty much Criterions.
You're absolutely right. This is big news!

This is also the first Criterion release in the Spanish language.
A few posts back.

Narshty

#61 Post by Narshty » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:28 pm

Ah yes.

Carry on.

denti alligator

#62 Post by denti alligator » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:39 pm

The AR is listed as 1.78:1
I always thought that this AR was basically a fake AR created for the era of 16x9 TVs. I must be wrong. Can someone explain?

justeleblanc

#63 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:50 am

Was this postponed?

godardslave

#64 Post by godardslave » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:43 am

JusteLeblanc wrote:Was this postponed?
what makes you think that it was postponed?

FilmFanSea

#65 Post by FilmFanSea » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:02 am

godardslave wrote:
JusteLeblanc wrote:Was this postponed?
what makes you think that it was postponed?
In Criterion's Dec newsletter, Viridiana is not listed with the other February releases:
Coming in FEBRUARY
La bête humaine
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Metropolitan
Young Mr. Lincoln (delayed from January)

Could be an oversight, or it may have been delayed a month (as Young Mr. Lincoln has apparently been). Time will tell.

Ashirg

#66 Post by Ashirg » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:33 am

FilmFanSea wrote:Could be an oversight, or it may have been delayed a month (as Young Mr. Lincoln has apparently been). Time will tell.
It was a February release from the very first announcement.
Street date: 2/28/06

Gordon

#67 Post by Gordon » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:51 pm

Oh, no, the dreaded "1.78:1" ratio for a vintage film on DVD. Especially a Spanish film from 1961. I am actually surprised that Viridiana was not composed in 1.37. IMDb states that it is 1.37:1. 1.78 may be the template ratio on the website, though, just like "non-anamorphic" and may change.

I watched That Obscure Object of Desire a few nights ago and there are at least three occassions of intrusive head cropping in the incorrecr 1.78:1 framing. This occurs in Discreet Charm; what about Phantom? I have only watched the disc once and didn't notice anything as bad as the other two. Otherwise, the transfers are beautiful.

Again, though, a Bunuel film gets silly, nay bad packaging and scant extras. These are landmark, influential and enduringly brilliant films that deserve bold, comprehensive supplements and striking cover art. That cover for Viridiana has to be the work of a non-fan, perhaps even someone who hasn't seen this furious, powerful and intelligent masterpiece. Or maybe it is a hoax? I am of the opinion that cover art for black and white dramas should generally be black and white itself; there are exceptions. of course, but I don't feel that Viridiana is one of them - and mein Gott, certainly not PINK-VIOLET and clunky fonts!

It reminds my of the Koch edition of Repulsion for sheer head-scratchability:

:?

pauling

#68 Post by pauling » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:38 pm

There it is:

Silvia Pinal to Appear on Upcoming Viridiana Release

We are pleased to announce that we have secured a video interview with Silvia Pinal, the luminous star of Luis Buñuel's Viridiana, for inclusion on our upcoming release of the film. This eleventh-hour addition will require us to postpone the street date, but given Pinal's contributions to this and other of Bunuel's Mexican/Spanish films, we feel it's well worth the wait. Look for Viridiana in May of 2006!

unclehulot

#69 Post by unclehulot » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:03 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:Oh, no, the dreaded "1.78:1" ratio for a vintage film on DVD. Especially a Spanish film from 1961. I am actually surprised that Viridiana was not composed in 1.37. IMDb states that it is 1.37:1. 1.78 may be the template ratio on the website, though, just like "non-anamorphic" and may change.
I've said it before (and I guess I'll say it again), IMDB is an authoritative source for NOTHING! User-submitted data? No thanks! I'm sure the recent Wikipidea flap has reminded us of the perils of that route.

I distinctly remember the chagrin of the staff at Newark, Delaware's long-defunct State Theater, when they received a 16mm cropped 1:37 print, rather than the 35mm they were expecting, which was certainly at least 1:66, according to those who had the 35mm in their hands previously.

I don't have the TCM b'cast handy right now, but wasn't it around that ratio? If somebody could check that would answer the question of what the Criterion is likely to be. Of course, that's not to say that 1:78 wouldn't be incorrect either.....

tryavna

#70 Post by tryavna » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:17 pm

unclehulot wrote:I've said it before (and I guess I'll say it again), IMDB is an authoritative source for NOTHING! User-submitted data? No thanks! I'm sure the recent Wikipidea flap has reminded us of the perils of that route.
Interestingly, I just read an article about Wikipedia. A group of scientists compared the Wiki's articles on science to those contained in Britannica and found that both contain about the same number of critical and superficial errors. Of course, that's only the scientific content, but a number of studies have confirmed that open intellectual forum can be a fairly reliable means of obtaining correct information -- if that information is properly reviewed. (The key difference between Wikipedia and IMDb seems to be that IMDb doesn't really review the info that gets posted in any consistent way.)

Cinesimilitude

#71 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:14 am

I hope they are adding more than just an interview. I can deal with the delay for different cover art, but if its just the interview, that seems a bit much.

pzman84

#72 Post by pzman84 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:13 pm

I am wondering something: the Criterion release says it has a 1.78:1 aspect ratio but IMDB says it is standard academy frame. While IMDB is notorious for being wrong, I am wondering does anyone know the real aspect ratio?

daniel p

#73 Post by daniel p » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:31 pm

We have just been informed by the studio that the release date for 'Viridiana (Criterion)' has been changed to 5-23-2006.
Got this from dvdempire today.
Wonder what's going on with this release...

Narshty

#74 Post by Narshty » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:41 pm

Have a look back over this thread for clues.

daniel p

#75 Post by daniel p » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:59 pm

Narshty wrote:Have a look back over this thread for clues.
Thanks for the advice :wink: I meant, apart from what was already mentioned.