34 Andrei Rublev

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
krnash

Re: 34 Andrei Rublev

#301 Post by krnash » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Yakushima wrote:Criterion just posted on their Facebook an amazing behind the scene footage from the making of "Andrei Rublev". A hopeful sign? [-o<
Don't get your hopes up. The video they posted was originally posted to their Facebook page by a user. They commented that they liked it and then re-posted.

(though I'd like this upgrade more than any other, so I'm always hopefully optimistic)

Roger Ryan

#302 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Bittersweet to see footage of the late, great Vadim Yusov behind the camera only a few weeks after his passing and quite a surreal experience watching this footage in color. Here's hoping a Criterion Blu-ray will eventually happen.

onedimension

#303 Post by onedimension » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Maybe a sign Criterion will include the rare, color version of 'Andrei Rublev' on a future release?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#304 Post by Drucker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Criterion made clear at the Wexner Talk that there's no plans in the works to upgrade Andrei. I'm pretty sure the primary issue is with materials available. (and rights, perhaps?)

warren oates

#305 Post by warren oates » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:01 pm

I thought the gist of it was that they wanted to upgrade but had, at that point, "no immediate plans." The feeling I got was 2-3 years at the earliest. And though it seemed to be about the materials, situations like that can and do sometimes change quickly, as with Cinema Guild's Sokurov set.

Roger Ryan

#306 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:49 am

As I mentioned before, I strongly suspect that Criterion is skittish about releasing only the 205 min. cut on Blu-ray since the print quality is fairly weak. If they could acquire the rights to the 183 min. edit, which is in much better shape print-wise, I'm sure they would issue an upgraded set including both versions.

nils

#307 Post by nils » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:06 am

I think, quality of 205 min. cut unacceptable for BD release. In Russia has perfect issue of 183 min. cut. by Digital Element (available for order). There is no point in waiting Criterion release.

Moe Dickstein

#308 Post by Moe Dickstein » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Is the added footage just dropped in or is it a lot of alternate footage and/or re-arranged? Point of the question is, could they just drop in the lower quality 205 footage into the 183 with a branch so that most of it looks its best at least? Would also allow them to do one disc rather than 2

knives

#309 Post by knives » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:07 pm

I imagine such an effort would cost a lot more money than this would sell.

albucat

#310 Post by albucat » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:Is the added footage just dropped in or is it a lot of alternate footage and/or re-arranged? Point of the question is, could they just drop in the lower quality 205 footage into the 183 with a branch so that most of it looks its best at least? Would also allow them to do one disc rather than 2
My recollection was that it contained alternate footage, but I'm not finding anything about this online. It's baffled me for years that the longer cut remains unrestored, since it's such a recognized masterpiece.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#311 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:09 pm

knives wrote:I imagine such an effort would cost a lot more money than this would sell.
But with a canonical film like this, there are more important considerations than "cost" and "profit"...

movielocke

#312 Post by movielocke » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 pm

at the very least they can rescan the element of the long cut they have and run it through phoenix.

Then they can acquire the theatrical cut from whatever the best they can source it.

drop on a passle of extra features and you're pushing whether they'll need three bluray or just two, probably three.

Since we're now in the DF era that probably means a 3 disc bluray plus 4 DVDs, seven disc set! ;)

zedz

#313 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:58 pm

albucat wrote:It's baffled me for years that the longer cut remains unrestored, since it's such a recognized masterpiece.
The source of the longer cut is just a single stray (festival) distribution print, isn't it? The film's owners presumably have far, far better elements for the shorter version, and may not even have access to the print of the longer version, and since both are "director's cuts" it's no wonder they've focussed their restoration attentions on the final version.

A restoration of the long cut would be a separate undertaking, and one that would most likely be up to the owners of that print, who don't necessarily hold secure rights to the film, so it's financially a much shakier proposition.

I'd be happy with Criterion issuing a good BD of the shorter version, with a fresh, unrestored warts-and-all scan of the long cut as an extra.

I imagine this prospective release is a bit of a conundrum for Criterion. I'm sure they wouldn't want to leave out either version, since the shorter cut is the canonical one and likely to be in much better shape, but the longer cut is a huge selling point and major Criterion exclusive. They'd also be expected, and no doubt want to, include extensive bonus material - at the very least they'll have to address the convoluted history of the different versions - but all of that suggests a five-disc edition at minimum (two Blus for the two versions, with extras spread across them; a DVD apiece for each version plus a third for extras), which makes for a very pricy release of a single film.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#314 Post by swo17 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:17 pm

zedz wrote:The source of the longer cut is just a single stray (festival) distribution print, isn't it?
Didn't Scorsese smuggle it out of Russia, or was that just a dream I had?

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#315 Post by jindianajonz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:25 pm

swo17 wrote:
zedz wrote:The source of the longer cut is just a single stray (festival) distribution print, isn't it?
Not necessarily smuggled that I can see, but Scorsese did provide it to Criterion

zedz

#316 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:58 pm

swo17 wrote:
That's a rumour I heard as well, but I also heard a similar thing about The Colour of Pomegranates, which sounds more plausible. A 35mm print for a film as long as Rublyov would probably be larger than Scorsese himself!

movielocke

#317 Post by movielocke » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:28 am

in my imagination, it's a classic spy story switcheroo smuggling run. Scorsese comes to russia with prints of a few of his films to show to the filmmakers he wants to meet. He leaves russia with the print of Andrei Rublev in the cans that are marked as his films, and no one ever opens the cans to catch them in customs. And he leaves his prints in russia. :-p

Gregory

#318 Post by Gregory » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:07 am

And then in a series of unbelievably tense moments, the screaming and borderline violent Russian officials discover the ruse at the last possible moment and try to catch the plane Scorsese is on by chasing it down the tarmac in jeeps as it takes off?

pzadvance

#319 Post by pzadvance » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:35 am

Gregory wrote:And then in a series of unbelievably tense moments, the screaming and borderline violent Russian officials discover the ruse at the last possible moment and try to catch the plane Scorsese is on by chasing it down the tarmac in jeeps as it takes off?
and oscars were awarded to all, the end

Roger Ryan

#320 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:41 am

albucat wrote:
Moe Dickstein wrote:Is the added footage just dropped in or is it a lot of alternate footage and/or re-arranged? Point of the question is, could they just drop in the lower quality 205 footage into the 183 with a branch so that most of it looks its best at least? Would also allow them to do one disc rather than 2
My recollection was that it contained alternate footage, but I'm not finding anything about this online. It's baffled me for years that the longer cut remains unrestored, since it's such a recognized masterpiece.
My understanding is that when Soviet officials took issue with elements of Tarkovsky's initial long edit and demanded cuts, he took the opportunity to rework the film to make it more aesthetically pleasing to himself (in addition to trimming the footage he was asked to remove). This resulted in a number of sequences in the later, shorter version that feature different editing and even different takes than what appeared in the 205 min. edit. Comparing the two versions completed by Tarkovsky, many of the editorial alterations he made for the later, shorter version are subjectively better than what he did the first time around. This is not just a case of the director's version being bastardized for release; Tarkovsky even expressed preference for the 183 min. edit.

What remains a point of conjecture is whether Tarkovsky would have retained the censored portions in his final cut if he had the opportunity. While it might be entertaining to have a "Comprehensive Version" that combines elements from both versions, I think the best approach* for Criterion would be to issue both existing edits in one set as "zedz" suggests.

*By "best approach", I mean the one I would really like to have on my shelf!

MichaelB

#321 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:52 am

Roger Ryan wrote:My understanding is that when Soviet officials took issue with elements of Tarkovsky's initial long edit and demanded cuts, he took the opportunity to rework the film to make it more aesthetically pleasing to himself (in addition to trimming the footage he was asked to remove). This resulted in a number of sequences in the later, shorter version that feature different editing and even different takes than what appeared in the 205 min. edit. Comparing the two versions completed by Tarkovsky, many of the editorial alterations he made for the later, shorter version are subjectively better than what he did the first time around. This is not just a case of the director's version being bastardized for release; Tarkovsky even expressed preference for the 183 min. edit.
This is pretty much in line with my own understanding of the situation, and I agree - to me, it's very clear indeed that some sequences (notably the prologue) are substantially more effective in the shorter cut, and undoubtedly benefited from Tarkovsky being given the chance to revisit his work wholesale.

albucat

#322 Post by albucat » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:48 am

Roger Ryan wrote:My understanding is that when Soviet officials took issue with elements of Tarkovsky's initial long edit and demanded cuts, he took the opportunity to rework the film to make it more aesthetically pleasing to himself (in addition to trimming the footage he was asked to remove). This resulted in a number of sequences in the later, shorter version that feature different editing and even different takes than what appeared in the 205 min. edit. Comparing the two versions completed by Tarkovsky, many of the editorial alterations he made for the later, shorter version are subjectively better than what he did the first time around. This is not just a case of the director's version being bastardized for release; Tarkovsky even expressed preference for the 183 min. edit.
Well there's a fair amount of debate about this, too (of course). His opinions about the changes he made in order to get it released in the USSR were, of course, made while in the USSR for the purpose of courting the local censors. He didn't really have much say in which cut was his favorite if he wanted the film released--which also may have informed his later opinion of the film. In any case, I think it would be a mistake to ignore either cut, like with many Welles films. My main irritation with the re-edit would be that it adds cuts to certain shots that are whole in the longer version, giving us the first and last minute of longer takes. It's a different experience for me.

zedz

#323 Post by zedz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:59 pm

albucat wrote:Well there's a fair amount of debate about this, too (of course). His opinions about the changes he made in order to get it released in the USSR were, of course, made while in the USSR for the purpose of courting the local censors. He didn't really have much say in which cut was his favorite if he wanted the film released--which also may have informed his later opinion of the film.
This is negative evidence, but given Tarkovsky's personality, I'm pretty sure his diaries would have been full of endless moaning about the injustice of it all if he'd been truly unhappy with his final edit. He was not one to take professional slights - real or imaginary - lightly. He was pretty candid about his misgivings regarding Rublyov, and the 'forced re-edit' wasn't among those recorded.

nils

#324 Post by nils » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:30 pm

I forgot to say: movies from Mosfilm you can see (and buy/download) on their site (some in HD, including Rublev). For watch Rublev short cut in HD on here page, press word "Смотреть".
All movies for Mosfilm site hosted on Youtube service and after beginning play you can select quality up to 1080p as usual for video on Youtube.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#325 Post by Drucker » Mon May 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Last edited by Drucker on Mon May 18, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.