306 Le samouraï

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
NABOB OF NOWHERE

Re: 306 Le samouraï

#201 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 am

david hare wrote:
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:As a gentle reminder we will see next week what the Melville SC french box has to offer. As I keep harping on I have seen a better version via the Tavernier doc. which may or may not be a viable alternative used by SC
Happy to see the Tavernier is out on Cohen next month. Have not been able to see it anywhere this year, can't wait.
David. There is also supposed to be a 6hour plus TV version coming as well but no news yet of a DVD release.
Also just to be clear the 'better' in this case is in relation to the Pathé which is not a hard task.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#202 Post by cdnchris » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am

I haven't seen the Pathe disc: after seeing the grabs I totally passed on it. But is it safe to assume that the clips from the film used in the 2011 documentary on here (d'honneur et de nuit, which appears to have been made for that Pathe release) come from that restoration? Because if they do... fuck. What a disaster!

MichaelB

#203 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 pm

It’s staggering. I finally got a copy courtesy of StudioCanal’s big Melville box (the French edition), and it’s hands down the worst Blu-ray transfer I’ve ever seen. How anybody with functioning eyes signed it off is a total mystery.