11 & 477 The Seventh Seal and Bergman Island

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: 11 & 477 The Seventh Seal and Bergman Island

#151 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Criterion will likely be able to replace your disc if you have an issue, you'd just need to e-mail them at mulvaney@criterion.com and/or orders@criterion.com. I'd say go ahead and buy it (although you may want to buy the releases separately so you can get the newer release of The Seventh Seal anyway) and sort out any possible issues later.

Ubermensch

#152 Post by Ubermensch » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:48 am

Yep, this set is really good for a beginner of Bergman. And I know Criterion will replace the disc if you tell them. But I am quite disappointed at how they have handled this blunder so far. They should have retrieved all the wrong sets from the very first but not rely on us who discover the problem and demand them for replacements. I even can't see any warning about the problem on their website. I wonder most of the people who bought this set might just not notice the wrong disc at all. Even some of those who did might feel too troublesome to bother them again. That have saved Criterion a lot of trouble but they have been really risking their precious reputation.

zedz

#153 Post by zedz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Wait a minute - you're complaining bitterly about Criterion's shabby behaviour when you've had no actual problem with them and you have no evidence whatsoever that this entire problem wasn't completely cleared up years ago?

Production gaffes like this happen all the time. Responsible companies do their best to sort them out, and it looks like that's exactly what happened in this case, but you're still pissing and moaning even though, for all you know, there is a 0% chance of you picking up a faulty set?

giovannii84

#154 Post by giovannii84 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:48 am

I was wondering if someone could explain the Restoration Demonstration, which appears on the original criterion DVD.
How long is it, does it have narration and is it a short documentary (similar to the one on 'Beauty & the Beast') or is it a series of clips (similar to the one on 'Grand Illusion')?

Also is 'Bergman 101' the same filmography which appears on the original Criterion DVD release?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#155 Post by cdnchris » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:49 pm

The original DVDs restoration demonstration runs over 3-minutes (3:20) and compares the new restoration and transfer to what was found on Criterion's laserdisc. It's text notes mixed in with before-and-after video footage and comparisons.

The Bergman 101 feature was originally a multimedia essay (as they used to call it) put together by Cowie. It was set up as a gallery with text notes, stills, and then video footage. The new version updates it to a visual essay with Cowie narration in place of text and he covers the same information. He also updates it to mention his work since 1987 (when Cowie did the original essay) which includes up to Saraband.

Hope that helps.

zedz

#156 Post by zedz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:57 pm

The big point of interest with the 'Bergman 101' feature for a very long time was that it illustrated the different films with either stills or brief film clips. The film clips all came from movies Criterion released within a few years, except for The Magician, which didn't arrive until the BluRay era. Which probably made it the longest gap between absolute confirmation that Criterion had rights (and materials) for a title and release.

Zot!

#157 Post by Zot! » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:14 pm

zedz wrote:The big point of interest with the 'Bergman 101' feature for a very long time was that it illustrated the different films with either stills or brief film clips. The film clips all came from movies Criterion released within a few years, except for The Magician, which didn't arrive until the BluRay era. Which probably made it the longest gap between absolute confirmation that Criterion had rights (and materials) for a title and release.
There was a Criterion Laserdisc of Magician.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#158 Post by cdnchris » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 pm

I had been waiting a long time for The Magician (on DVD) because of that special feature on the original Seventh Seal DVD, but it never materialized so I believe I got the idea MGM had it and that's why Criterion never released it. I'm still not sure why they waited but it was worth it because based on the video quality of the film in that feature it was in need of a lot of work.

zedz

#159 Post by zedz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Okay, ". . . and DVD release."

Graham

#160 Post by Graham » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:44 am

I've just tried to watch the blu-ray of The Seventh Seal for the first time after owning it for three years or so. Everything was fine until 1hr and 23mins in when Block is playing chess with Death in the forest and it freezes. I've tried cleaning the disc, fast-forwarding it etc, but the fault appears to continue until the end (if you do manage to forward a chapter it auto freezes again).

Is this a known issue? Looks like I'll be firing off an email to Criterion, but thought I'd ask here first. Thanks.

Matt

#161 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:13 am

No trouble with mine.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#162 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:36 pm

No problem with mine either.

Zot!

#163 Post by Zot! » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:42 pm

I have problems with a couple of early Criterions. I suspect it's my player.

Graham

#164 Post by Graham » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:33 am

Thanks for the replies. I fired off an email to Criterion, so we'll see what happens.

Kris

#165 Post by Kris » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Graham, any news concerning the issue? I rewatched the movie after two years or so - back then I had a different player (very old Samsung) and no problems, just now my Oppo 103 froze at exactly the same scene you described. No chapters selectable beyond that point.

SteveK

#166 Post by SteveK » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:39 am

I'm having the same freezing problem at 1hr 23min. I just bought this copy so I'm really bummed out about it. I tried everything Graham did, but nothing. I'm using an older PS3 slim - first time I'm having blu ray playback issues.

Graham

#167 Post by Graham » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Sorry, I've only just been alerted to this thread by a PM from Steve.

Criterion sent me a replacement disc, which looks to work fine (I haven't sat down to watch it yet, but did check out the relevant scene). I provided them with details of when and where I bought it and a screenshot of the freeze as well as a photo of the box/disc.

SteveK

#168 Post by SteveK » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm happy to report Criterion sent me a new disc with no playback issues on my PS3. There must be a certain batch of discs with encoding problems. The replacement disc they sent has a dark grey "C" logo, while the original is more of an off-white color.

If anyone experiences similar issues with their copy I would just contact Criterion.

Kris

#169 Post by Kris » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:53 pm

SteveK wrote:I'm happy to report Criterion sent me a new disc.
Same here, thanks for the advice. Ah, I wish I had a car to hang the old disc on the rear driving mirror, how cool was that...!