4 Amarcord

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
psufootball07

#51 Post by psufootball07 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:32 pm

The Fascism was brought up again with the marriage at the end. It was really sad that she left with the Fascist leaders, and maybe would visit the town again? The marriage is the end for her, and is extremely moving when no one catches her bouqet of flowers.

LightBulbFilm

#52 Post by LightBulbFilm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:13 am

Good to see you here psu, but I wish you would use the spoiler tags.

psufootball07

#53 Post by psufootball07 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:21 am

Thanks, yeah probably should have done that. Amarcord is great, a must see for fans of Fellini. Anyways does anyone know how this film can be up for Academy Awards in two separate years? I mean I love this film, maybe it is that good. Its disgusting to see how some really great films do not get the credit they deserve from the Academy.

jbeall

#54 Post by jbeall » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:29 am

psufootball07 wrote:The Fascism was brought up again with the marriage at the end. It was really sad that she left with the Fascist leaders, and maybe would visit the town again? The marriage is the end for her, and is extremely moving when no one catches her bouqet of flowers.
Right, but it doesn't "resolve" the storyline into a comfortable narrative (the townspeople turning their collective back on fascism, for example, or whatever).

Foam

Re: 4 Amarcord

#55 Post by Foam » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:05 am

This is one of my favorite Fellini flicks, certainly my favorite of all the ones without Masina.
Watching this you can really see Fellini's influence on Woody Allen.

psufootball07

#56 Post by psufootball07 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Is the updated, wacky C edition now about to get upgraded again? I own this edition and it is absolutely fabulous, but I see Janus has "new prints" and a "new restoration" and is releasing it nationwide this summer. I will definitely be heading to Pittsburgh for a screening or 2.

Maybe it will only need or get a Blu-Ray release?

HerrSchreck

#57 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

My guess is this is a similar scenario to that of La regle de jeu... a new transfer for the cinema/theatrical-print circuit can be old news in the dvd realm.

AtlantaFella

#58 Post by AtlantaFella » Thu May 14, 2009 10:54 pm

jbeall wrote:I suspect that people who don't like this film feel that way because it's more a series of vignettes than a single, coherent plot. This film, like so much arthouse dismissed as "pretentious," simply doesn't conform to narrative expectations, certainly not in the way La Strada does.
I was just catching up on the posts in this thread after seeing Amarcord in the theater (thank you Janus, for bringing Fellini to the big screen here in Atlanta).

It's funny that you refer to this film as a "series of vignettes", because I've always thought of this one as something of a Roma-light. Roma is one of my favorite Fellinis, and I love -love- the meandering feel and the relaxed flow of joy exuded by the varied, seemingly disconnected scenes. For me, the approach employed in Roma yields magic and beauty. (The scene with the frescoes makes me cry every time.)

The reason Amarcord doesn't work as well for me is that it is the same sort of storytelling but watered down by a more pronounced attempt at accessibility and cohesion. In short, I feel that he tried to have it both ways with Amarcord (something of a hybrid between I Vitelloni and Roma) and it just doesn't hold together as well for me as most of his other endeavors.

That being said, this one has grown on me with repeated viewings. It's my least favorite Fellini but still one of my favorite films.

kinjitsu

#59 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

atcolomb

#60 Post by atcolomb » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Great News..this is one Criterion re-release that deserves a blu-ray treatment..and new extras...

zedz

#61 Post by zedz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm afraid it's already got the new extras.

kinjitsu

#62 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Exactly. The only change I would expect is a HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray.

ShellOilJunior

#63 Post by ShellOilJunior » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Michael

#64 Post by Michael » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 am

When I was traveling through the Amalfi coast of Italy last year, I kept seeing characters from Amarcord coming to life. The fella who recounted the night he made love to 28 women in the visiting sultan's harem walked across a piazza where I was having the last espresso of the night. One morning driving to Sorrento, the coastal fog was so dense that the gnarly olive trees were transformed into spooky creatures - like that boy's morning walk in Amarcord.

La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 are magnum opuses, both involving one man journeying through ages within a week. With Amarcord, that same man, older and off screen this time, sits in a piazza - the center of life - reliving splendid, poetic prisms of his cinema within a year of four seasons, ending with life goes on, cinema goes on with the Fellini winds playing music for eternity.

Puffballs whirling in the BD air, what a celebration to anticipate.

giovannii84

#65 Post by giovannii84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:02 pm

New restored version of 'Amarcord' at Venice film festival.
Wonder if this will get an upgraded bluRay upgrade in the next year or so

http://variety.com/2015/film/global/ven ... 201519661/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FrauBlucher

#66 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:05 pm

I love Amarcord. I have the blu ray, but do we really want to see them start upgrading the upgrades before other titles get their first upgrade.

giovannii84

#67 Post by giovannii84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:11 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:I love Amarcord. I have the blu ray, but do we really want to see them start upgrading the upgrades before other titles get their first upgrade.
No. They've re-upgraded 'The 400 Blows' & 'Breathless', so could see this happening at some point.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#68 Post by Drucker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:16 pm

No they haven't. They just reissued its packaging with Dual-Format. The transfer has never changed.

The only blu-ray that has featured 2 different transfers from Criterion is Playtime.

At this time, Criterion seems more than keen on waiting for major restorations than issuing their own transfers of blu-rays when possible (see what happened with The Leopard, for example). But in most cases, we are going to have the transfers we already had for the foreseeable future in all likelihood.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#69 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:29 pm

Drucker wrote:No they haven't. They just reissued its packaging with Dual-Format. The transfer has never changed.
That's not quite right either. They issued it on DVD, then re-issued it on DVD, then put out a Blu-ray.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#70 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:39 am

What Drucker mean is that The 400 Blows or Breathless various HD releases (being BD-only or DF) shares the exact same BD.

Except Playtime, there isn't any Criterion BD which has been upgraded by re-releasing the title for the sake of using a more recent / better source, like SC is doing next month with The Third Man for instance.

nitin

#71 Post by nitin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Comparison of the new restoration on the Italian blu ray vs the Criterion:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=10016&d2=7210&c=2928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One guess as to who is responsible for the new restoration.