It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:12 pm 

7/10 isn't very good on SuperHappyFun's scale is it? By the way, they've had that for a while, so it's possible that the TV recording dates back 10-20 years. The Sundance/FLIX print probably looks a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:41 pm 
Waster of Cinema

Dylan wrote:
The Sundance/FLIX print probably looks a lot better.

Undoubtedly. But what are the chances of it coming to DVD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm 

Gordon McMurphy wrote:
Dylan wrote:
The Sundance/FLIX print probably looks a lot better.

Undoubtedly. But what are the chances of it coming to DVD?

Hopefully its' current recirculation with a (most likely newly struck w digitized telecine) clean print bodes favorably viz the odds of a DVD. 'Specially since studios are really sweeping out the vaults these days looking for surprise gems to slap on DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:39 am 

Gordon McMurphy wrote:
DVD-R from a TV broadcast available HERE.

Sounds like an interesting film, especially the now-vanished NY locales and Eugen Schüfftan's cinematography - he had just finished working on The Hustler, I believe.

Has anybody had a look at this Super Happy Fun disc/boot of SOMETHING WILD? The memory of my one viewing of this film is kicking & squiriming down inna roots of my head, and I'm jonesing to see it again. Beautiful film & still no sign of DVD, so willing to go with a boot. If it's decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:44 am 

Those who havent managed to catch a look at this rare gem-- it's coming up on TCM on April 9th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:02 am 

HerrSchreck wrote:
Those who havent managed to catch a look at this rare gem-- it's coming up on TCM on April 9th.

Rip that joint, someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:24 pm 

This was sitiing in my to watch pile, where I thought it was the Demme! It came in fact in a bundle of trades from old chum in NYC. Dunno the source, possibly cable, although there is no watermark:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:32 pm 

This got a brief release at IFC maybe a year ago in a new 35mm print. The film ain't all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:49 pm 

The two Garfeins I've seen (this and the completely fruity The Strange One with Ben Gazarra playing Military School S&M Queen "Jocko de Paris") are structurally challenged - Something Wild runs like a series of set pieces with Carroll put through the wringer of projected rape and bondage fantasies. And Jocko is worshipped by a fellow cadet who is writing the book of Jocko's life called "Night Boy", which reuslts in escalated scorn and humiliation from Jocko/Gazarra.

But these are mere charades upon which Garfein (Caroll's mentor at Actor's Studio and her lover for years) hang outs his extremely taut performances. Carroll in particular has a ripe, luscious quality that makes a fascinating contrast to her constantly thwarted attempts at escape to freedom in this God knows Wild aint Magnificent Ambersons, but it has Carroll, and Ralph Meeker, the wonderful Aaron Copland score and New York CIty in 1961 photgraphed by no less than Eugen Shufftan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:56 pm 

Barm-o as a NYer I'm surprised the location shooting alone didn't capture you (not to mention edith bunker as a sailor-bouncing slut). It's definitely one of those films that blooms in your mind when you're not watching it-- but the rampant oddness, the unspoken props to the balm (losing ones-self in the low budget anonymity) of the ghetto... and just the flat out weirdness of the narrative. It has its flaws, but they are part of its charm along with its oddness, If this film were made in France or by a frenchman at the exact same time we'd a had a dvd years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:19 pm 

Yes - I can certainly re-watch it for the performances alone.

The "tone" is seemingly tied into the narrative structure, and it has a singularity of mood, but I find I'm far more impressed by the performances Garfein obtains from his Actors' Studio players than almost anything in Cassavettes. They are completely immersive.
(And the film looks absolutely gorgeous. )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 pm 

Sony are releasing Jack Garfein's The Strange One in June, which gives the possibility that "Something Wild" may follow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:04 pm 

Well well well, six years later look what finally came out on disc.. The r e a l SOMETHING WILD.. it's an MGM on-demand disc, and in full 1.33 AR.. Here's DVDTalk on the fulm itself:
Quote:
with Miss Baker). Final Thoughts: A strange mix of realism and dreamy symbolism, played out in a sweltering, grimy New York City. Carroll Baker's portrait of a psychologically tortured rape victim is one of the most honest, vivid ones I've seen within that category, and Ralph Meeker, excellent as well, pulls off the impossible task of making his shadowy character both charismatically intriguing and repellent―two performers who were sadly undervalued during their careers. Sure to piss-off the most dogmatic of the woeful "politically correct" set (they don't enjoy anything), Something Wild's strange, illogically romantic spiral down into violence and madness, and eventually love (?), surely marked it as one of the most unusual dramatic offerings of 1961...and within that context, it's still quite arresting today. I'm highly, highly recommending Something Wild―a must-see for fans of the stars and this genre.

DvdTalk link.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:41 am 

HerrSchreck wrote:
If this film were made in France or by a frenchman at the exact same time we'd a had a dvd years ago.

Garfein said pretty much the same thing on last night's TCM broadcast. Apparently Otto Preminger called him up around the film's release and consoled him about its dismal reception. He told him to give several decades for the film to gain appreciation and that if it had been a subtitled European one it would've been immediately acclaimed.

I think it probably works better thinking of it in a general sense as a film about "Trauma" rather than a more narrow-focused "Lost Girl in the City." The Holocaust survivor comparison someone made feels especially apt. A topic the director is well acquainted with.

Last edited by Numero Trois on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:37 pm 

Isn't it painfully obvious that the man read my post from back then and of course parroted my statement? :wink:

I'm really getting tired of Jack posting with a Magical Maestro image (he thinks he's slick by using the censored pen-ink/blackface Ink Spot gag) on BBS's and writing with a sort of canine snap and bark.. last I heard he was posting elsewhere under the handle "Herr Fanny's-Husband."

Love,

Herr Fanny's-Husband

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:33 pm 
Dot Com Dom

What a great release this looks to be-- wish Criterion dug into the vaults for stuff like this a bit more often, but what a way to start the year!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:49 pm 

Agreed. Also wish it had been paired with The Strange One...but maybe that's forthcoming as a stand alone as well.

Very excited for the Foster Hirsch piece as he was a mentor of mine and quite the authority on Garfein.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:52 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I know Kino's been doing a good job of rescuing MGM's MODs, but is this the first one from Criterion?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:18 pm 

Well I'll be. I can't believe this is finally getting the recognition it's deserved for so long. I don't know who's run the telecine on this, but christ the brain reels with the thought of throwing this up in HD on a large screen. With Copeland's score in restored audio. I think I did see it once in the cinema, and I felt like running up to the screen with a magnifying glass to look in the shop windows and examine all the battered faces on all those midcentury NY streets. I also have a heavy connection to this film beyond it's brilliance and Eugen S. shooting it, via The Actor's Studio (used to be there all the time in the 90's when I was an actor), the street & subway scenes up in the old 1960's Bronx... when she's sick on the train I think she gets off at 103rd on the 1 (Burroughs dealing territory in JUNKY), which was my stop for a few years when I was living with an ex by Columbia U.

This promises to be frigging sublime.. thanks CC... and hello all... and off I go. An old forum friend cued me in to the fact that this is coming, so I had to come see for meself, here and on the CC site.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:41 pm 

Beaver... It looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:21 pm 

jwo17 wrote:
Agreed. Also wish it had been paired with The Strange One...but maybe that's forthcoming as a stand alone as well.
Very excited for the Foster Hirsch piece as he was a mentor of mine and quite the authority on Garfein.

Never heard of this title & assumed when I first heard of the announcement (w/out seeing cover) that it was just a repackaging of the Demme film. Now that I know it's from the same director as The Strange One, I'll have to check it out. Surprised Criterion released this one first, hopefully they're just waiting for licensing rights to expire for that one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:23 am 

I've received it yesterday and watched it with my video-projector... What a stunning photography! great transfer...
so far I only knew the 1:33 ratio SD transfer...

The booklet is interesting- I didn't think at first about the Travis Bickle connection (although "Something Wild" announces the Taxi Driver B.Hermann theme "all the animals come out at night ...")
some nice photos (too small) in the booklet : Carol Baker in white dress, barefoot sitting on a bed, reading a magazine (a which magazine it is ? b) do you know where I can find this picture in high-res ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:21 am 
Dot Com Dom

Well, I surely hated this film. Utterly contrived in every motivation and narrative misstep, with atrocious acting exercises masquerading as set pieces and a plot trajectory so misinformed I’m sitting here afterwards second-guessing whether it actually happened. Sadly, it did. The notes the actors hit are false and protracted (watch the tortuous first meal between Meeker and Baker for a preview of some godawful Freshman Drama prompt), and even the set bends to the will of the need for ugly and elongated areas to create open stages and prosceniums where none are called for in the filmic medium. I could not give less of a shit about how New York is shot in this film— we’ve all seen countless noirs from this era that tethered this aesthetic to something worthwhile, why praise a movie for doing the bare minimum here?

There’s certainly a key detail to talking about this movie that gets conveniently left out, namely that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Something Wild is what would happen if the troupes from Out 1 put on a performance of the Collector. I assume everyone skirts around the second half of the film because addressing it is more weight than a defense can possibly hold. The film was already pretty bad before Meeker showed up, and then when we think we've suffered the most we can in the film, those last fifteen minutes kick in and oh ho one learns the meaning of going off the rails. There’s a good reason no one ever wanted Terence Stamp to get with Samantha Eggar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:52 am 

Am I correct, in reading a synopsis, that this movie essentially ends with
[Reveal] Spoiler:
What if it turned out Elizabeth Smart actually loved being held captive and married her captor?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:06 am 
Dot Com Dom

You left out
[Reveal] Spoiler:
and got knocked up. It's like, who doesn't watch Room and think Old Nick was a pretty swell guy all things considered