358 Pandora's Box

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
otis

#301 Post by otis » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:53 pm

A prompt reply from Mulvaney about the whole Cher DVD thing:
I'm sorry to hear you got a Cher DVD instead of a booklet--this is definitely the first we've heard of that mistake! I'd be happy to send you the booklet for your DVD, and please feel free to write in again if you have other questions.

Best,

JM
I still have a sneaking suspicion they're planning an Eclipse box set of The Witches of Eastwick, Suspect, Moonstruck, Mermaids and Tea with Mussolini. Only time will tell...

Antoine Doinel

#302 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:08 pm

Dear God, I hope this isn't some sort of hint that Cher is planning on starring in a remake.

perkizitore

#303 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:15 pm

I have taken advantage of the DD Criterion sale and bought Pandora's box.
I've been wanting the Cher DVD for ages!!!That means that i will get one Criterion for free plus one Cher DVD!The deal of the century :lol: :D =P~

Gregor Samsa

#304 Post by Gregor Samsa » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:56 am

Ya know what I blame for the mixup? The GAZE. :wink:

lubitsch

#305 Post by lubitsch » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:08 pm

The probably last surviving member of the cast had his 95th birthday this year in February. It's Dr. Schön's exquisitely beautiful bride who nevertheless loses to Louise. Daisy D'Ora was additionally a Miss Germany in 1931. Here's a German article with two photos.

stwrt

Re:

#306 Post by stwrt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
jt wrote:Don't think anyone ever answered this question and I'm wondering the same. Am finally going to get round to this for the first (and probably second, third...) time in the next couple of days. I usually prefer orchestral scores but I read somewhere that the piano one was the best way to go.

Anyone care to comment?
I tried all four and the improvised piano score was by far the most appropriate
Just watched this with the piano score soundtrack, it does accompany the film very well, also liked the musical quotations from Alan Berg's opera Lulu (also taken from Wedekind's plays).

PillowRock

Re: 358 Pandora's Box

#307 Post by PillowRock » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm not sure that there is anybody else here close enough to care, but .....

Pandora's Box will be showing July 12 and 14 as the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor. It'll have a live organ accompaniment. (The theater is a late 1920s "movie palace" that still has its original pipe organ.)

dr. calamari

#308 Post by dr. calamari » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:16 am

Wish I could be there to see it...the Michigan was my favorite theater when I was growing up in Ann Arbor in the '60's. I remember my Mom taking my younger brother and I to see The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly there in 1967, when I was 8 years old. It was a great theater, and I imagine it's been restored since then. I think we also saw Yellow Submarine there too, but it was 40+ years ago, so maybe not.

Is the old Fifth Forum art theater still there on S. Fifth St.?

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#309 Post by Tribe » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:01 pm

dr. calamari wrote:Wish I could be there to see it...the Michigan was my favorite theater when I was growing up in Ann Arbor in the '60's. I remember my Mom taking my younger brother and I to see The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly there in 1967, when I was 8 years old. It was a great theater, and I imagine it's been restored since then. I think we also saw Yellow Submarine there too, but it was 40+ years ago, so maybe not.

Is the old Fifth Forum art theater still there on S. Fifth St.?
The only other downtown theatre in Ann Arbor these days is the State...which is less than a block from the Michigan.

PillowRock

#310 Post by PillowRock » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:19 am

Tribe wrote:
dr. calamari wrote:Is the old Fifth Forum art theater still there on S. Fifth St.?
The only other downtown theatre in Ann Arbor these days is the State...which is less than a block from the Michigan.
I believe that the Fifith Forum is what was called the Ann Arbor Theater (or Ann Arbor Twin Theater?) by the time I got to town as an undergrad. It has been closed for some years now.

I'm not sure what state you would remember the State Theater being in. It was originally one big single screen, with main floor and balcony seating, also a pretty old theater. By the time I came to college it had been subdivided into four screens: two lower ones using the old main floor seating, and two upper screens seating in the old balcony. Somewhere along the line they gave up the two lower screens in favor of streetfront shops. So now they just have the two balcony screens.

And, yes, the Michigan has had a major renovation / restoration ..... probably 10 years or so ago now. (I'm not sure of the exact timeline for that.)

dr. calamari

#311 Post by dr. calamari » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:25 am

The State Theater was still in pretty good shape the last time I went there, in 1972. I remember it, and the Michigan, as being the 2 theaters my folks most liked to take us because they were big and within walking distance of our home, so we didn't have to fuck around finding a place to park. They were the 2 first-run theaters in Ann Arbor, although the Fox up by Maple Rd. got some first-run movies too (like Tora Tora Tora), but it was farther away.

Sure do miss Ann Arbor, at least as it was in the 1960's.

jwd5275

#312 Post by jwd5275 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Does anyone have any information on this restoration and the differences between it and the Criterion release? It is a full ten minutes longer....

TMDaines

#313 Post by TMDaines » Thu May 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Nope, but am I the only one who held off on this after Joan and this were supposedly on the way for Blu-ray? Oh the perils of waiting for Criterion to get around to doing stuff.

htom

#314 Post by htom » Thu May 17, 2012 3:08 pm

jwd5275 wrote:Does anyone have any information on this restoration and the differences between it and the Criterion release? It is a full ten minutes longer....
I assumed it was the same as the version announced here in 2010, but the names pinned to it are not the same...

stwrt

#315 Post by stwrt » Fri May 18, 2012 6:46 am

jwd5275 wrote:Does anyone have any information on this restoration and the differences between it and the Criterion release? It is a full ten minutes longer....
Ignore - apologies.

greggster59

#316 Post by greggster59 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:28 am

I did a Google search on the longer version and found this piece: http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/new ... as-box.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote: "The restoration is projected at 19 frames per second, slightly slower than the film used to be shown. How does that change how you approach it musically?

“I have to say I find 19 fps slightly too slow for my own taste. Some moments are spot on, but some feel slightly elongated. Twenty would be my preferred speed for the whole thing; but it does give me the chance to open the music out, and I get longer to complete my themes and fill things in with experimental stuff. I still experiment each time I play it, because I’m still trying to find that mythical, perfect score, and it ain’t there yet! I never will find it, of course, but the beauty is that each time there may be just one scene that I hit right on the nose in that performance, and I pride myself on that.”"

Assuming this is a slower rate than the Criterion transfer, which doesn't mention frame rate in their notes, could this account for the longer running time?

Lowry_Sam

#317 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:19 am

Apparently the print that Criterion used was from a single German source. The new 143 minute restoration is a frame-by-frame restoration from multiple prints from around the world. It is getting it's 3rd showing (1st was a private party by Hugh Hefner, 2nd was a rare BFI screening) & tonight is apparently its 3rd (1st open to the public) screening @ The Castro in SF... See you there...& hope this print will be the one Criterion uses for the Blu Ray.

Ashirg

#318 Post by Ashirg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:38 pm

The title is now out-of-print. Is there a new pressing coming or a re-release?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#319 Post by Drucker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Being that this is a Janus release, I assume a re-release or upgrade would have to be imminent, and they have not lost the rights.

mhurne

#320 Post by mhurne » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Shows as back in stock/print on the Criterion site.

manicsounds

#321 Post by manicsounds » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:23 am

It may have been mentioned, but I suddenly wanted to hear the OMD song with the "It's a long long way" chorus line. (First OMD song I'd ever heard.) I did see the video on MTV when I was a kid, but rewatching it now as a film buff, it's a different experience.

So I guess this music video was my first exposure to Louise Brooks subconsciously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMFKib_Byb8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FrauBlucher

#322 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:45 pm

Peacock

#323 Post by Peacock » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:12 pm

Just for the record, from what I can tell, the restoration being publicised by Janus is the 2009 one released in 2012 in San Fran. The same one used by Eureka. The blacks look deeper than the MoC going by that trailer but otherwise we are talking about the same 2K restoration.

I only state this here because all over the internet I’m seeing mention of Janus’ “new restoration” and Criterion releasing it. Very misleading! (Even I got it wrong stating it was a 2016 restoration in another thread).

If I’m wrong about all this I would be very happy though!