Criterion Laserdiscs

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
majorsenta

Re: Criterion Laserdiscs

#126 Post by majorsenta » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi !
I will like to know what was the printing of a Criterion laserdisc 10 year ago for all the world ?
For exemple The taxi driver Cav ? what was the number of Ld ?
We like a lot all the criterion laserdics in France but we miss some data, information about the printing of all this Laserdisc ...
Can someone tell me if it was 1000 ? 10000 ? more or less ..
Have a good day ...

greggster59

#127 Post by greggster59 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:38 pm

majorsenta wrote:I will like to know what was the printing of a Criterion laserdisc 10 year ago for all the world ?
For exemple The taxi driver Cav ? what was the number of Ld ?
We like a lot all the criterion laserdics in France but we miss some data, information about the printing of all this Laserdisc ...
Can someone tell me if it was 1000 ? 10000 ? more or less
You can find a complete list of the laserdiscs issued by the Criterion Collection here.

Some titles released by the same company are listed as Voyager laserdiscs, such as "For All Mankind" and are not listed here.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Gregory

#128 Post by Gregory » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:36 am

If I understood right, he or she was asking about total print runs for each title on LD. Only Criterion themselves have that information. I would guess that it varied to a huge extent from title to title. I remember reading on the forum that one title in particular (Andrei Rublev?) was only produced in the hundreds.

majorsenta

#129 Post by majorsenta » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:33 pm

Thank You , Gregory ..
Thank you to both of you ...Gregory was right ...
I will like to know what was the average printing number for a criterion laserdisc ?
You can find a lot of criterion laserdisc in France , Japan ..Hong Kong.
So i thought it must be hudge ...
Sorry for my poor english !

majorsenta

#130 Post by majorsenta » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:25 pm

I wrote to Criterion ..
And they told me that the range can be between 1,000 to 25,000 ...
I will like to know which one was a big hit ? and which one didnt work ..?

Hellfrick

Re: Criterion Laserdisc Commentaries as mp3s

#131 Post by Hellfrick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:26 am

About 4 years ago there was discussion in this thread of converting OOP commentaries to mp3s. Has that practice continued? There are some I'd be very interested in (i.e. The Graduate, The Magnificent Ambersons, Taxi Driver). I have a friend with a nice collection of laserdiscs already (I don't have the list however) and between he and I, we could create mp3s of some titles--so I can be sure to bring something to the table--but I'm initially curious if people are still making mp3s out of their commentaries.

Thanks!

Matango

#132 Post by Matango » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:27 pm

I was surprised to learn that the official death knell for Laserdiscs was only just sounded this month. http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/011509pioneer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

atcolomb

#133 Post by atcolomb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Matango wrote:I was surprised to learn that the official death knell for Laserdiscs was only just sounded this month. http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/011509pioneer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeap...my first player was bought in 1989 and now i have over 200 discs and 6 players. Yes dvd and Blu-ray have better sound and image but still i do play a disc from time to time. :(

Matt

#134 Post by Matt » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:25 am

Ulysses1922 wrote:Didn't want to step on anyone's toes, or post something people might get mad at, but I found free copies of the LD criterion bond commentaries:

http://listentoamovie.com/popup.php?Act ... st&ID=3720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://listentoamovie.com/popup.php?Act ... st&ID=3742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://listentoamovie.com/popup.php?Act ... st&ID=3736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

exte

#135 Post by exte » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:42 pm

The audio track on the From Russia with Love laserdisc caused serious legal problems for Criterion and it was this that eventually led to the fallen out between Criterion and MGM and caused a three year delay on "Robocop"

Powell&Pressburger

#136 Post by Powell&Pressburger » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:59 am

exte wrote:
The audio track on the From Russia with Love laserdisc caused serious legal problems for Criterion and it was this that eventually led to the fallen out between Criterion and MGM and caused a three year delay on "Robocop"
Does anyone know what was it about these commentary tracks that caused a riff? Was it just a film scholar MGM/UA didn't approve of? Or was it telling tales out of school? I bet those LDs are worth a good amount.

I recently found the Criterion CAV TAXI DRIVER w/ commentary and isolated score etc for 14.99! Was a nice deal. Been wanting that release forever... i also Have the CARRIE LD with commentary but to be honest it is one of the dullest commentary tracks ever. It wasn't informative at all. Maybe it is because we are in the age of the internet and we know so much more. It was just boring.

broadwayrock

#137 Post by broadwayrock » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:30 am

Powell&Pressburger wrote: Does anyone know what was it about these commentary tracks that caused a riff? Was it just a film scholar MGM/UA didn't approve of? Or was it telling tales out of school?
The screenwriter of From Russia With Love called Ian Fleming a snob and Terence Young alleged that Chris Blackwell (founder of Island Records and location scout for Dr No) smoked a lot of marijuana. The commentaries are more opinionated than the current ones.

Stefan Andersson

#138 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Are the CC laserdisc liner notes still available online, or should I keep my printouts?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#139 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:25 pm

They're all on the Criterion site, but they are organized by day of release.

JonDambacher

#140 Post by JonDambacher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:22 pm

Keep the print-outs.

jordof131

#141 Post by jordof131 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:29 pm

I have a quick question. It may be a stupid question but hopefully someone can help me out. Do laserdiscs have menus and chapter selection menus like dvds do. I just bought a Pioneer CLD 1070 and a couple criterion laserdiscs for real cheap. Im asking because i want to convert them to DVDs so i don't lose them in case some get laser rot. Thanks

jedgeco

#142 Post by jedgeco » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:33 pm

chapter stops, but no menus. Of course, you'll lose the chapter stops when you convert to digital, unless you want to go back and put them in.
Last edited by jedgeco on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jordof131

#143 Post by jordof131 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:36 pm

thank you very much.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

Re: Re:

#146 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 am

jedgeco wrote:
domino harvey wrote:someone should start ripping all these OOP Laserdisc commentaries. I'd be happy to host them online if it's a matter of there not being anywhere to put them up.
I'll "donate" my files (Graduate, Ambersons, Damage, Taxi Driver, Sweetback, Se7en, maybe Crash) if someone's willing to host them. Be nice if we could combine a mirror of the pre-DVD site w/ downloadable commentaries.
I have both The Magnificent Ambersons and Sweetback laserdiscs. I would be more than happy to share them if someone is willing to explain how I can record the audio off of my laserdisc player and put it into my computer. I don't want poor audio quality either by putting a microphone next to my television speaker either.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#147 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:15 pm

How does the sound come out of the laserdisc player? The easiest way would be to buy a cheap wire (>$3 at Radio Shack) that is audio L/R at one end and single jack on the other. Most PCs (not Macs though) have a mic jack, just plug in and use a free audio capture device to record the audio

jmalina

#148 Post by jmalina » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:17 am

I have a bunch of these archived, but there are still a ton more I would love to hear. If anyone is interested in exchanging, shoot me an email and we can trade lists.

Zumpano

#149 Post by Zumpano » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Came across this forum that has a lot of commentaries for download including CC Fisher King, The Game, and others...

MyNameCriterionForum

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vo

#150 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:55 pm

CSM126 wrote:
MyNameCriterionForum wrote:Will Something Wild be both John Sayles' and John Waters' introductions into the collection?
Waters had a couple of movies on Criterion laserdisc - Pink Flamingos and Polyester
What's a "laserdisc" ?