438 Mon oncle Antoine

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
HistoryProf

Re: 438 Mon oncle Antoine

#51 Post by HistoryProf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:13 pm

So am I the only one that has taken to revisiting this every Christmas? I watched it Christmas Eve after the wife and kid went to bed early and for reasons I can't fully articulate, it grows on me more and more with each viewing. I said much of what strikes me about the film above, but all of its power seems greater with repeat viewings. Somehow it's entirely new to me each year, and i'm profoundly moved by the final act each and every time I see it.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#52 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:02 pm

I don't rewatch this every year (though I do _think_ about it every year at Christmas time). ;~}

Revelator

#53 Post by Revelator » Fri May 15, 2015 4:21 pm

HistoryProf wrote:perhaps you need to live in a snowy clime for it to really 'work' for you?

I live in California (on the coast, not by the mountains), and it works like gangbusters. It's like a dream of living in a land of snow.
that kid did an incredible job of conveying that almost wordlessly - basically just with his eyes

Agreed. Does anyone know what happened to him? As far as I know this was his only film. Apparently he was a hitchhiker Jutra stumbled upon.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#54 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 15, 2015 4:50 pm

I suspect this is a fairly common name in Quebec -- so it would probably be hard to track down what happened to him after his brief movie career.

Oedipax

#55 Post by Oedipax » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:28 pm

Claude Jutra accused of being a paedophile. Another article here about the fallout in Quebec (stripping Jutra's name from awards, streets, statues, etc.)

knives

#56 Post by knives » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:56 pm

This is terrible of course, but technically what is being described in the article is not pedophilia. Rather it sounds like endophilia.

Gregory

#57 Post by Gregory » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:15 pm

He liked to be indoors?

Revelator

#58 Post by Revelator » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:43 pm

knives wrote:This is terrible of course, but technically what is being described in the article is not pedophilia. Rather it sounds like endophilia.
That was my initial reaction as well, though I think the term is Ephebophilia and/or Hebephilia, and from what I understand 14 was the age of consent in Canada during those decades.
However, Yves Lever’s biography alleges that Jutra also had relations with boys younger than 14 on two occasions.
Interestingly, Denis Côté states in a French-language article that he studied film under Yves Lever and never heard Lever speak a good word about Jutra. Lever's antipathy was well known in the film community and Côté was suprised to hear that Lever had decided to write a biography of Jutra.

That said, the allegations still look true, especially in light of two other a French-language articles. One has an interview with an unnamed victim who says Jutra began molesting when he was 6. Another has a brief interview with someone who knew Jutra well, believes the allegations, and also interviewed the victim.

This an all-around tragedy--first and foremost for Jutra's victims, and secondly for his films and legacy. Mon oncle Antoine is one of my favorite films, and I will never be able to watch it the same way again.

knives

#59 Post by knives » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:58 am

Revelator wrote:
knives wrote:This is terrible of course, but technically what is being described in the article is not pedophilia. Rather it sounds like endophilia.
That was my initial reaction as well, though I think the term is Ephebophilia and/or Hebephilia, and from what I understand 14 was the age of consent in Canada during those decades.
Oops, and that's even with checking to make sure I got the spelling correct. I really hope the truth of this turns out to be mitigated to that though and the six year old thing turns out exaggerated (as unlikely as that seems).

zedz

#60 Post by zedz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:20 pm

Gregory wrote:He liked to be indoors?
That's one hell of a euphemism.