Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Feego

Re: Shout! Factory

#101 Post by Feego » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 pm

hearthesilence

#102 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Man, it's creepy to look at those well-defined capillaries in Nicole Kidman's eyes...

Yojimbo

#103 Post by Yojimbo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:45 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Man, it's creepy to look at those well-defined capillaries in Nicole Kidman's eyes...
I've always thought her a bit wacko; capillaries, or no capillaries

Jean-Luc Garbo

#104 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 am

Feego wrote:DVD Beaver on Portrait of a Lady.
Beside the non-anamorphic image the Blu-ray is negligibly cropped
No examples of this cropping on the BR are in the review, however.

hearthesilence

#105 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:14 am

Check the caps with Viggo. Assuming this was a lock down shot, notice that the top DVD cap shows the entire candelabra sitting left on that table while the Blu-Ray cap slices off one candle. Curtain on the right side of the DVD cap also has a sliver of light peaking out of the opening, and we don't see that on the DVD cap. There's more information on the top part of the frame on the DVD cap as well.

In this case, losing the information on the sides actually feels significant - for any shot looking that meticulously composed, it throws things off. The shot I just referenced loses a sense of balance when those elements aren't shown whole (as they do in the DVD cap) but are clipped off like that. It's true again in that later cap with Malkovich and (once again) candelabras on both sides of the frame. And that cap with the blue wallpaper and Barbara Hershey, nudging that 'portrait' (not sure what to call that) further to the edge on the left side of the frame pushes it further out of your sight/point-of-concentration.

yoshimori

#106 Post by yoshimori » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:25 am

hearthesilence wrote:Check the caps with Viggo. Assuming this was a lock down shot, ...

... And that cap with the blue wallpaper and Barbara Hershey, nudging that 'portrait' (not sure what to call that) further to the edge on the left side of the frame pushes it further out of your sight/point-of-concentration.
Neither of the shot comparisons on Beaver referenced above are exact frame matches. Not sure if the camera was moving -- though it's certainly possible the shot with Mortensen was a push-in -- but the position of Ms Kidman's hair viz the window is not the same in the two framegrabs. And the Hershey shot referenced above (also not an exact frame match) clearly involves some movement (certainly subject movement, likely also camera movement) too, thus possibly accounting for the difference in information at the frame edges.

A couple other shots show ever-so-slightly less picture info on the left frame edge of the blu-ray, but to me these differences seems negligible. Can't wait to receive the disc.

captveg

#107 Post by captveg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:52 pm

Some March titles:

From Beyond (Unrated Director's Cut) (1986) (Scream Factory Label) - 3/26/13
Futureworld (1976) - 3/26/13
Phantasm II (1988) (Scream Factory Label) - 3/5/13
Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann (1982) - 3/19/13

I know From Beyond and Futureworld are licensed from MGM, and that Phantasm II is licensed from Universal, but is Timerider licensed from either one of them or another company? There's an old Anchor Bay DVD, but that's it.

In any case, it's good to see that, like Universal, Shout was able to license some MGM titles outside of the horror genre and MST3K.

dwk

#108 Post by dwk » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Some March DVD releases you didn't mention:
Action Packed Movie Marathon (Cyclone, Alienator, Eye Of The Tiger & Exterminator 2) - 3/19/13
Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot: The Complete Series - 3/26/13

Jameson281

#109 Post by Jameson281 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:14 pm

captveg wrote:I know From Beyond and Futureworld are licensed from MGM, and that Phantasm II is licensed from Universal, but is Timerider licensed from either one of them or another company? There's an old Anchor Bay DVD, but that's it.

In any case, it's good to see that, like Universal, Shout was able to license some MGM titles outside of the horror genre and MST3K.
TIMERIDER is from MGM.

captveg

#110 Post by captveg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Jameson281 wrote:
captveg wrote:I know From Beyond and Futureworld are licensed from MGM, and that Phantasm II is licensed from Universal, but is Timerider licensed from either one of them or another company? There's an old Anchor Bay DVD, but that's it.

TIMERIDER is from MGM.
Cool. Thanks!

dwk

#111 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Jameson281

#112 Post by Jameson281 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 pm

dwk wrote:April 16 -Message From Space
And their ROLLING THUNDER Blu-ray comes out April 9.

Extras announced for LIFEFORCE and VAMPIRE LOVERS:

EXTRAS for LIFEFORCE:
- Both Theatrical & International Versions of the film (Theatrical cut available on the Blu-ray only.)
- New Commentary with Director Tobe Hooper
- New Retrospective with Cast & Crew including Star Steve Railsback, Tobe Hooper and others!
- Original vintage “Making-Of Lifeforce” Featurette
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spot
- Still Gallery
- And more to be announced!

EXTRAS for THE VAMPIRE LOVERS:
- Feature Length Commentary with Roy Ward Baker (Director), Tudor Gates (Writer) and Ingrid Pitt (Carmilla) moderated by Jonathan Sothcott.
- Excerpts from the novella Carmilla, that inspired the film, read by Ingrid Pitt
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- New Interview with Madeline Smith (Emma)
- New Interviews with Hammer Films Scholars
- Original Radio Spot

dwk

#113 Post by dwk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:51 pm

From Cliff Mac's facebook page
Tonight we start the new HD transfer of THE FOG, supervised by the great cinematographer, Dean Cundey.

Adam X

#114 Post by Adam X » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:33 am

dwk wrote:From Cliff Mac's facebook page
Tonight we start the new HD transfer of THE FOG, supervised by the great cinematographer, Dean Cundey.
Nice, looking forward to this one. It's been a while since I've watched any vintage Carpenter, come to think of it.

colinr0380

#115 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 pm

It's a great example of a film where the atmosphere is more successful than anything to do with the actual plot! Imagine seeing all that swirling fog in HD!

(I guess that I'm biased about the great locations in this film though, since I had an unattainable dream for a few years of one day living in a converted lighthouse with Adrienne Barbeau!)

dwk

#116 Post by dwk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 pm

According to a post on Facebook by Cliff Mac, Shout is releasing Knightriders this summer.

They are also releasing Fridays and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

dwk

#117 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Back in December, Cliff announced on facebook that Shout will be releasing Electra Glide in Blue. (don't know why I never posted this news)

dwk

#118 Post by dwk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Roger Ryan

#119 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Ah, CRIMEWAVE. I still remember when this was being shot in Detroit and called THE XYZ MURDERS. The cast and crew were staying at the (now-demolished) Ramada Inn on Telegraph Rd. in Southfield, MI and all of the production trucks and prop vehicles (including the exterminator truck with the rat on top) were parked in the hotel parking lot! The film is a crazy mess. One of the more disconcerting elements is that Detroit radio DJ George Baier (doing his "Dick The Bruiser" morning show voice) dubbed all of actor Paul L. Smith's lines; Brion James' lines are dubbed as well in an even loonier fashion.

dwk

#120 Post by dwk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Bruce Campbell tweeted
“@whatalanwatches: @GroovyBruce are you involved with the CRIMEWAVE blu-ray?” I am! The Mother of all Commentaries.

captveg

#122 Post by captveg » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Jeff

#123 Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 am

Great choice. I think I entered manhood the day I saw Jennifer Connelly's titillating role in this film twentysomething years ago. Nice to see Shout digging into some of the deeper cuts in MGM's catalog. Maybe since Criterion wasn't interested, Shout can rescue Smile.

dwk

#124 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:52 pm

zedz

#125 Post by zedz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Jeff wrote:
Great choice. I think I entered manhood the day I saw Jennifer Connelly's titillating role in this film twentysomething years ago.
That's not quite enough information to know whether or not that's too much information (but let's leave it at that!)