Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Shout! Factory

#51 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Not if you buy it from Amazon!

warren oates

#52 Post by warren oates » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Blu-ray preorder links up at Amazon.com for Shout Factory editions of Ridley Scott's The Duellists and Jane Campion's Portrait of A Lady.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#53 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Thank god the Campion is back. And in a dual format edition! Stuart Dryburgh's photography should look especially wonderful. Not one of the best films I've seen, but still one with personal sentimental value. I'd wondered where it had disappeared to.

dwk

#54 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Cliff Mac posted at the blu-ray forums that the only Paramount films that Shout licensed are The Walking Tall Trilogy and The Duellists. He also said that they asked them for other titles, but Paramount said no.

dwk

#55 Post by dwk » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:03 am

August Ragone posted on his blog that Shout is releasing Ultra Seven: The Complete Series on DVD on December 11th.

On December 18th, Shout is releasing Paul Newman's Sometimes A Great Notion on Blu-ray

And, finally, the following was posted yesterday on Scream Factory's facebook page:
Get set for some REALLY great new titles coming up in 2013 which we'll be beginning to start slowly announcing soon.

We've been working on a deal for over a year and we're happy to report its been finalized. Some films have never been available before and some have even been requested here on the Facebook page from you guys already. We'll also be introducing some fun DVD double and triple features into our future mix as well.

Have a great weekend and thanks for the support!
I'm going to assume that this means they finalized a deal with MGM.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:25 am

Nice, Sometimes a Great Notion is a GREAT rescue from MOD Hell (though I have the R2 DVD), it'll look beautiful

Gregory

#57 Post by Gregory » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:50 am

I should pick up Sometimes a Great Notion, having recently skipped a local screening of it, which was promoted as a projection of "the only known 35mm print in existence." That made me wonder about the status of the film's preservation.

dwk

#58 Post by dwk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Scream Factory has announced the first two titles in their MGM deal: TERRORVISION (1986) and THE NEST (1988)

dwk

#59 Post by dwk » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Next title in the MGM deal: Renny Harlin's Prison (1988).

Also, last week, Cliff Mac said the the MGM deal is not limited to Horror/Sci-fi. No word on how many titles they licensed.

AfterTheRain

#60 Post by AfterTheRain » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:37 pm

dwk wrote:Next title in the MGM deal: Renny Harlin's Prison (1988).

Also, last week, Cliff Mac said the the MGM deal is not limited to Horror/Sci-fi. No word on how many titles they licensed.
Oh, boy! Just consider the possibilities with that bit of news!

dwk

#61 Post by dwk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:07 pm

This weeks Scream Factory announcement: The Video Dead (1987).

Fear Net has a short interview with Cliff MacMillan. No title announcements, but he does say that they are working on a box set for next Halloween.

dwk

#63 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:00 pm

This week's MGM/Scream Factory announcement: The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) and The Evictors (1979)

Taketori Washizu

#64 Post by Taketori Washizu » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 am

I have a couple of quibbles with Shout/Scream Factory's otherwise solid release of Halloween II:

1) No fucking scene selection on the main menu. You either have to fast forward or chapter skip on your remote.

2) No closed caption for the hearing impaired.

Anyone care to guess why? Just sheer sloppiness on their part? These are basic features going back to the inception of DVD technology. I don't get it. I posted on their Facebook page about my concerns and I'm still waiting for a reply.

peerpee
not perpee

#65 Post by peerpee » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:38 am

Fascinating interview about GET A LIFE: http://www.avclub.com/articles/cocreato ... ass,85851/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dwk

#66 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:50 am

Taketori Washizu, I don't have the disc, so I don't what is up with the lack of scene selection, but, regarding your second issue, I do know that Cliff Mac said all future releases will have English subtitles.

Taketori Washizu

#67 Post by Taketori Washizu » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:05 am

dwk wrote:Taketori Washizu, I don't have the disc, so I don't what is up with the lack of scene selection, but, regarding your second issue, I do know that Cliff Mac said all future releases will have English subtitles.
'

Good to know.

Apparently their release of Halloween IIIalso has no scene selection. Someone else complained on their Facebook page about that problem as well. If enough complaints come out of the woodwork, maybe they will rectify this on future releases. I just don't understand why their quality control people didn't address this issue before releasing these discs.

manicsounds

#68 Post by manicsounds » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:58 am

I thought Shout! Factory doesn't put a scene selection menu on their discs. Not a big deal, you can always press the chapter buttons on your remote. I remember they said they don't provide English SDH subtitles because it's cost prohibitive for their releases.

Taketori Washizu

#69 Post by Taketori Washizu » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:14 am

manicsounds wrote:I thought Shout! Factory doesn't put a scene selection menu on their discs. Not a big deal, you can always press the chapter buttons on your remote. I remember they said they don't provide English SDH subtitles because it's cost prohibitive for their releases.
It's a big deal for me. Chapter skipping is far more time consuming getting to a specific scene. Is that also cost prohibitive? I'm not quite buying that. Anchor Bay had scene selection going back to their early days. Blue Underground also has scene selection as a feature. So Shout! are too cheap, unlike the other labels? Also see the the above post by dwk. They ARE putting English subs on future releases at least. They can go the extra mile to include scene selection as well.

dwk

#70 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm

FROM BEYOND (1986) - from the Director of Re-Animator- will be coming out as a Collector's Edition Bluray & DVD combo next year! There will be new extras along with the older ones which were on the prior 2007 DVD release.

Forrest Taft

#71 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:45 am

DVDTalk on They Live.Looks like a very good release.

dwk

#72 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:22 pm

This weeks MGM announcement:
Cult classics THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970 - Starring Peter Cushing) and THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN (1977 - with gooey Rick Baker make-up effects) will both be coming to Blu-ray for the first time next year!

Jean-Luc Garbo

#73 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:29 pm

dwk wrote:This weeks MGM announcement:
Cult classics THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970 - Starring Ingrid Pitt) and THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN (1977 - with gooey Rick Baker make-up effects) will both be coming to Blu-ray for the first time next year!
Fixed.

dwk

#74 Post by dwk » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:24 pm

They've announced both these titles but not that they are going to be a double feature (due in February):

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#75 Post by domino harvey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:03 pm

The garish neons of TerrorVision looked great on MGMHD, and will no doubt look great here. I resent the idea of owning the odious the Video Dead along with it, though! Ah well, I'm sure it'll cost the same as a single title