Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
JamesF

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#1026 Post by JamesF » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:15 am

As I’ve said elsewhere here before, all the more frustrating in that an anamorphic widescreen (albeit SD) master of the uncensored death exists as it was used for the initial UK DVD from Universal, and at the very least those few frames could easily be upscaled and put in as a viewing option (have Shout ever used seamless branching?). Guess i’m still holding on to that DVD...

Adam X

#1027 Post by Adam X » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 am

Yeah, I can’t see why they couldn’t. I may just have to hunt down a copy. I used to have it on VHS, but, no longer. Hopefully someone in the UK’ll be able to finally put it back together.

kindaikun

#1028 Post by kindaikun » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:16 pm

JamesF wrote:As I’ve said elsewhere here before, all the more frustrating in that an anamorphic widescreen (albeit SD) master of the uncensored death exists as it was used for the initial UK DVD from Universal, and at the very least those few frames could easily be upscaled and put in as a viewing option (have Shout ever used seamless branching?). Guess i’m still holding on to that DVD...
I thought the problem was, like with the censoring of the Mulholland Drive discs, that Lynch would only allow them to use the expurgated version on disc and wouldn't grant them permission to release it if they didn't.

AfterTheRain

#1029 Post by AfterTheRain » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Survive! (1976) is coming out on June 26th. The movie was distributed by Paramount, so I'm wondering if Shout/Scream has a new licensing deal in place with them.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1030 Post by Drucker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Pretty good burn by Gary in the Downfall review.
This is under Shout! Factory's 'Shout! Select' label and is a 'Collector's Edition'. Perhaps for someone who collects DNR - as this release is smeared liberally with it. The green-ness is inherent but all the grain is gone from this Shout! Factory 1080P. It remains in the 1.78:1 but the digitization softness is nasty. Ughhh...

McCrutchy

#1031 Post by McCrutchy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Drucker wrote:Pretty good burn by Gary in the Downfall review.
This is under Shout! Factory's 'Shout! Select' label and is a 'Collector's Edition'. Perhaps for someone who collects DNR - as this release is smeared liberally with it. The green-ness is inherent but all the grain is gone from this Shout! Factory 1080P. It remains in the 1.78:1 but the digitization softness is nasty. Ughhh...
Perhaps it's just my computer's LCD screen, but, it seems to me that in addition to the liberal DNR, the Shout! screencaps also appear to have a chroma noise issue that is so bad, I'm shocked they actually let the disc out. Is anyone else seeing all the nasty green blotches in dark areas on the Shout! caps?

Costa

#1033 Post by Costa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 pm

I wouldn't say no to a collector's edition with new 4k/2K scan of Battle beyond the Stars! :D

JamesF

#1034 Post by JamesF » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Yeah, tempting to speculate if Shout will double dip on any of the titles they've released previously. Blu-Ray of The Lady In Red for me, please! :D

Some of the tentpole New World titles are owned by MGM outside the US (Piranha, Humanoids From The Deep and Galaxy Of Terror off the top of my head), so I'll be intrigued to see what take-up there is for the library internationally.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1035 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:34 pm

Complete series Blu-ray set of Gravity Falls coming in July

AfterTheRain

#1036 Post by AfterTheRain » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Piranha II: The Spawning is back on the release schedule, now due on July 17, sans the "collector's edition" branding.

dwk

#1037 Post by dwk » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:15 pm

final specs for the It's Alive box set
IT’S ALIVE
• NEW 2K scan of the original film elements
• NEW Cohen’s Alive: Looking Back at the It’s Alive Films featuring interviews with writer/producer/director Larry Cohen, actors James Dixon, Michael Moriarty and Laurene Landon and more…
• NEW It’s Alive at the Nuart: The 40th Anniversary Screening with Larry Cohen
• Audio Commentary with writer/producer/director Larry Cohen
• Radio Spots
• TV Spots
• Theatrical Trailer
• Still Gallery

IT LIVES AGAIN
• Audio Commentary with writer/producer/director Larry Cohen
• Theatrical Trailer
• Still Gallery

IT’S ALIVE 3: ISLAND OF THE ALIVE
• NEW interview with Special Effects Makeup Designer Steve Neill
• Audio Commentary with writer/director Larry Cohen
• Trailer
• Still Gallery

dwk

#1040 Post by dwk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:06 pm

In addition to In the Mouth of Madness, Scream Factory announced that they are also releasing John Carpenter's Someone's Watching Me and Memoirs of an Invisible Man. So all of his full length films will be available on Blu-ray

Big Ben

#1041 Post by Big Ben » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Have a bit of a soft spot for Mouth. I don't think all of it works but it has one legitimately weird/spooky sequence involving someone on a bike that I'm quite fond of. I don't however know anything about Someone's Watching Me. Is that any good?

dwk

#1042 Post by dwk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:22 pm

I remember thinking that Someone's Watching Me was ok, but it probably has been 10 years since I watched it and I haven't been compelled to revisit.

Big Ben

#1044 Post by Big Ben » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Bloody Disgusting also confirmed on their site that the transfer for In the Mouth of Madness is new.
Extras and specs are still in progress and will be announced at a later date. However, we can confirm today that we will be doing a brand-new film transfer!

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#1045 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:59 pm

I think the first time I became aware of John Carpenter was while watching an Entertainment Tonight segment a few months ahead of Madness’ release when I was 11 or so. It was a close-up look at the practical effects work behind the grotesque Lovecraftian monster that appears in the climactic sequence, and it succeded in burning an impression of that creature design into my mind to an extent that it effectively kept me from watching the movie for another several years. It also established an impression of Carpenter as the master of horror movies, and that hasn’t much changed in the decades since; very excited to pick this up and see the film again (and hopefully revisit through the extras some of that creature design work).

Lost Highway

#1046 Post by Lost Highway » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:33 am

I’m most excited for Somene‘s Watching Me, though I haven’t seen it in a while. I always thought it was the second best made for TV thriller of the 70s after Duel. It’s Carpenter‘s homage to Rear Window by reversing it’s premise, but what I like most about it is the casting of Lauren Hutton and Adrienne Barbeau whose characters and friendship are a little ahead of their time. In many ways it’s a routine women in peril thriller, but Carpenter elevates it by bringing a Hawksian touch to its female characters and he handles the suspense well and with style. Its one flaw is that Carpenter wasn’t allowed to contribute his own score and the score is a run-of-the-mill TV movie score of the period.

In the Mouth of Madness is the last Carpenter movie I find watchable. It has several individual sequences which are powerful, but when I rewatched it not too long ago, I didn’t think hung together that well.

M Sanderson

#1047 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:19 am

I really like It’s Alive 3: Island of the Alive. In fact I’m an admirer of all Cohen’s collaborations with Michael Moriarty. How long until we see Return to Salem’s Lot get a release, I wonder?

colinr0380

#1048 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:50 pm

dwk wrote:I remember thinking that Someone's Watching Me was ok, but it probably has been 10 years since I watched it and I haven't been compelled to revisit.
I only saw Someone's Watching Me! once on a television screening decades ago but there was an aspect that always stayed with me that involved Adrienne Barbeau's supporting character. I'm not sure how impactful it will be now (or even if I am remembering it correctly!) having not seen the film since that time, but I seem to remember it being an enjoyable Hitchcock homage moment too. The moment is a major spoiler:
SpoilerShow
It is the Rear Window-style (and Body Double-anticipating) scene of Lauren Hutton's main character helplessly watching Barbeau being murdered in the opposite tower block.
I am quite excited for these John Carpenter releases. I have not seen Someone's Watching Me! in decades, and have not seen either In The Mouth Of Madness (which I think is very funny! I agree that it collapses in the final third, but then that mirrors the fictional and non-fictional worlds collapsing together in an amusing manner. As well as suggesting that Sutter Kane might be an immensely powerful emissary of Lovecraftian evil, but he is still a bit of a hack writer who cannot reach a satisfying ending!) or Memoirs of An Invisible Man (which has always felt fundamentally flawed by being a thriller-comedy rather than a horror film. Though it makes a great double bill with the 'disembodied Chevy Chase-gets mashed up with-Benji' film Oh! Heavenly Dog!) in their original widescreen ratios, which is always essential to fully appreciate a John Carpenter film!

Costa

#1049 Post by Costa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:26 am

Does anyone know what's the progress with PLAGUE DOGS?

Are they already working on the uncut version or are they contemplating IF and HOW they will include it in their release?

Calvin

#1050 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:38 am

As far as I know, there's been no public comment further to the delay.