Third Window Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
colinr0380

Re: Third Window Films

#101 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Excellent news about Bullet Ballet and Tokyo Fist! I still contend that Bullet Ballet is Tsukamoto's best, or at least most emotionally complex and mature film, in the sense that it sketches in a whole ensemble cast of characters with different motivations and reactions surrounding the central figure's quest to understand his girlfriend's suicide and get his hands on a gun of his own, whereas many of Tsukamoto's other films usually end up honing in on a single character, an antagonistic duo, or a love triangle often to the exclusion of the outside world, as if nothing matters beyond the protagonists (or that the small scale conflict is a microcosm of the wider world, and usually ends up transforming it).

In Bullet Ballet you get a sense of a world carrying on beyond the narrative with so many different elements sketched in such as youth culture (gang wars, risk taking, dropping out of education, the sometimes fatal sloughing off of reckless behaviour to take up employment); culture clashes (the search for a gun takes in yakuza figures, the underworld, nightclubs, scrapyards, green card marriages, gaijin drug dealers, and so on); generational clashes (young, middle aged and WWII generations); violence on a societal scale compared to small scale skirmishes; along with authority figures (Tomoroh Taguchi's policeman cameo and Tsukamoto's advertising job) vs anti-authority groups (the pimps and gang bosses).

And especially the moments of heavenly transcendence (floating detachment in the ether with telephone calls and the ecstatic loss of self) contrasted against the earthily physical loss of self through self-harm, jealous lashing out occasionally resulting in death, and self-punishment (most tellingly the turning point moment of Bullet Ballet involves the fate of a boxer, which immediately ties the film in with the preceding Tokyo Fist which had more fully explored the ideas of expression vs loss of self through physical pummelling). With the final scene amazingly managing to meld both the 'heavenly transcendent' and 'earthily physical' methods of loss of self together in an utterly exhilarating, and extremely moving, sequence.

repeat

#102 Post by repeat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 am

Worrying news from TWF:
Third Window Films wrote:Due to the current uncertainty of HMV/FOPP/PLAY.COM/BLOCKBUSTER and the current mess of the UK entertainment market, we unfortunately have to push back some of our 2013 releases.

Takashi Miike's FOR LOVE'S SAKE - will be pushed back to JUNE 10th
Kiyoshi Kurosawa's EYES OF THE SPIDER / SERPENT'S PATH will be moved to late summer. Release date TBC
VULGARIA will keep its April 15th release date

Everything else on hold until we can see how things will pan out over the next coming months.

We are in a very bad position, as is the UK market so please bear with us and please place your orders with AMAZON or MOVIE MAIL for now as they seem to be some of the only places that are going as usual.
If anyone's been putting of getting some of their titles, now might be a good time to show your support...

gyorgys

#103 Post by gyorgys » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:30 am

repeat wrote:Worrying news from TWF: (...)
If anyone's been putting of getting some of their titles, now might be a good time to show your support...
Done! (ordered five blu-ray titles)

Adam X

#104 Post by Adam X » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:13 am

I was afraid of this. I first heard of the demise of HMV via a recent email from TWF. It sadly wasn't a very optomistic one either. Hopefully they manage to pull through, at the very least to make it through their announced 2013 slate (some really exciting films in there - the Tsukamoto's & Kurosawa's especially).
If it were ever true, it doesn't seem to easy for distributor's of such specific areas of cinema right now. Especially Asian cinema, one region where it certainly doesn't sound easy to obtain rights and decent materials to work with.
Will definitely be ordering those Lee Chang-Dong's, and perhaps others, sooner rather than later, now.
Last edited by Adam X on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ellipsis7

#105 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 am

Relevant piece on implications of HMV collapse from The Guardian...

manicsounds

#106 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:24 am

In order for fairness, there has to be some agreement to stock the smaller (better?) titles along with the big titles at Tesco/Asda, etc.

One of the best parts about Amazon is not just the convenience, but they have everything. At physical shops, they are always limited to shelf space by display. So to say "the physical stores must stock at least ___ copies of every title ever made is unfeasible. But also, it is quite frustrating that on a smaller title's release date that the store has no physical copies.

But a more feasible example for those big chains:

Every new release of the week must be stocked at the store. That would be the new release shelf.
They must be kept on the store shelves for at least one month. If the title continues to sell well, the stores have the option to keep it and order more. If they decide to not carry it after 1 month, then they send the stock back or sell it off online only.

Wouldn't something like that be more fair in the marketplace? (Supermarket place?)

Adam X

#107 Post by Adam X » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 pm

The problem is that suppliers are rarely in a position to dictate any kind of terms to large chain stores (along with Amazon). It's usually a take it or leave it proposition from what I understand, making it harder and harder for indie producers to survive.

Personally, I can't understand why anyone even considers a supermarket/department store as a viable place to buy a dvd/bd. Not just in terms of range of stock, but in the way said stores treat their stock.
And I guess HMV must be a sight more expansive than their short-lived presence in Australia showed them to be, in order to have such a potentially significant impact on the UK industry by their loss.

But yes, as has been said many a time, people on this board aren't a typical representation of the general buying public.

Hopefully these events don't have quite as large an impact as some might believe, and that the industry can somewhat role with the punches, like book publishers/stores are currently having to do (Borders & Dorchester et al notwithstanding).

repeat

#108 Post by repeat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:Personally, I can't understand why anyone even considers a supermarket/department store as a viable place to buy a dvd/bd
I know what you mean - from the point of view of someone living in a small country where practically everything has to be ordered separately (whether through a shop or online), it's difficult to understand the impact of something like this (QED recently in the New Wave Films thread) - but I do trust the labels on this, and if they're this worried then it's surely cause for concern. I do wish there was a more direct way of support, like buying directly from the label - but then again TWF has suggested that ordering through Amazon might be the best way to increase their visibility and attract new audiences.

Anyway, to accentuate the positive, The Woodsman and the Rain is out today, and I think I'm ready to give anything with Koji Yakusho in it a go...

Adam X

#109 Post by Adam X » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 am

He's certainly one of those actors...
Though I think I'm much more interested in checking out "The Foreign Duck...".
Both look like enjoyable films though.

It's starting to seem like the one of the only real ways forward for labels like TWF, aside from visibility on Amazon, are direct sales and/or kickstarter/bandcamp style fundraising. Though of course rights negotiation might make this approach a tad more complex.

repeat

#110 Post by repeat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:37 am

Kurosawa's Eyes of the Spider / Serpent's Path is now up for pre-order on Amazon UK, with a September 9 release date.

Adam X

#111 Post by Adam X » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:33 am

September cannot get here soon enough. Thankyou TWF.
On a whim, I did a search, and discovered The Land of Hope is up for pre-order too, BD or DVD - 12th August.
While perhaps inevitable, since they co-produced it, it's great to see this Sion Sono film coming out through them too. Been looking forward to this one, it sounds really interesting.

Cinosyrc

#112 Post by Cinosyrc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:36 am

Is it likely The Land of Hope will receive a UK theatrical release?

Adam X

#113 Post by Adam X » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:39 pm

As far as I'm aware, Third Window last year withdrew from theatrical distribution.
I guess it's possible someone else
might take that task on, though with TWF's reasons being predominantly financial, I'd imagine film festivals would be your best bet for seeing Land of Hope theatrically.

thirdwindowfilms

#114 Post by thirdwindowfilms » Thu May 23, 2013 3:07 pm

The Third Window Films store, ordering direct from us at TWF, is now back and running, and will stay open until around the end of summer.

All DVDs (except limited editions or box sets) are £5
All Blu-rays (except limited editions or box sets) are £10

Free Shipping within the UK, flat rate shipping elsewhere of £4 within Europe and £5 ROW.

http://shop.thirdwindowfilms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!

Adam X

#115 Post by Adam X » Sat May 25, 2013 7:38 am

Wonderful, thanks for the heads up.

manicsounds

#116 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:02 am

Finch

#117 Post by Finch » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Third Window Films is pleased to announce the acquisition of 2 new Korean comedies: The Boomerang Family from director Song Hae-Sung (Failan, Calla, Rikidozan) and How to Use Guys with Secret Tips from debut director Lee Won-Suk.

While Third Window Films started distribution with a variety of Korean films such as No Blood No Tears, Green Fish, The President's Last Bang, Oasis and more, it's been a while since the last Korean film release from Third Window (Peppermint Candy was the last back in early 2010) due to the main focus of distribution being Japanese cinema. Now though, Third Window is giving Korean film distribution another go with the acquisition of two new Korean comedies which fit very well into the Third Window catalogue.

Boomerang Family is a wonderfully quirky and black comedy starring some of Korea's finest actors with Park Hae-Il (The Host, Memories of Murder), Youn Yuh-Jung (The Housemaid, Behind the Camera), Kong Hyo-Jin (Daichimawa Lee, Love Fiction) and Yoon Je-Moon (Dirty Carnival, Mother) teaming up to play a totally dysfunctional family. It has been a big critical success and in our opinion is one of the best off-beat Korean comedies of late.

On the more zany and off-the-wall side of things, How to Use Guys with Secret Tips, while possibly too mad for some, perfectly fits in with the Third Window catalogue of strange and bonkers comedies from the Far East. Winner of the Audience Award at the Udine Far East Film Festival, How to Use Guys.. is really an over-the-top, candy-coated and visually blinding romantic comedy that will certainly be loved by those who like their films from Asia a little more 'mad' than others. They loved it at Udine and we really do too, so let's hope more will get into it!
We are aiming for an early 2014 release of both these films so we hope to bring the new year in with some great comedies from Korea!

Adam X

#118 Post by Adam X » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:56 am

Interesting news.
Hopefully this is a sign that their recent & upcoming releases from more 'high profile' directors has gone well for Third Window, and allowed them to venture back to more 'marginal' titles.
Though apparently even the Tetsuo double bill sold poorly, so I guess it's hard to say.

perkypat

#119 Post by perkypat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:15 pm

The link to the shop doesnt seem to be working, either here or on the website. Ill buy if you fix it!

Aunt Peg

#120 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:18 am

Created in error.

bigP

#121 Post by bigP » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Tokyo Fist coming to Blu-ray and DVD 25th November.

manicsounds

#122 Post by manicsounds » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:33 am

Rewind review of "The Story Of Yonosuke" BD

Considering the Japanese BD had a making-of, deleted scenes, etc, it's disappointing that the UK release only has a trailer.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#123 Post by tenia » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:35 am

manicsounds wrote:Rewind review of "The Story Of Yonosuke" BD

Considering the Japanese BD had a making-of, deleted scenes, etc, it's disappointing that the UK release only has a trailer.
It's unfortunately quite often the case, though I suspect it's usually an issue of prohibitively expensive licence fees to get access to these asian extra features.

MaxCastle

#124 Post by MaxCastle » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:44 am

tenia wrote:
manicsounds wrote:Rewind review of "The Story Of Yonosuke" BD

It's unfortunately quite often the case, though I suspect it's usually an issue of prohibitively expensive licence fees to get access to these asian extra features.
Third Window have said that they only released this on BD rather than DVD because enough people seemed to want it, and that the extra costs of that already mean they may end up making a loss on it; given that, any further costs for extra features was probably already a non-starter.

manicsounds

#125 Post by manicsounds » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:22 pm

would have liked to put extras on it, though actually the producer of the film wouldn't license them overseas for some strange reason. No extras on HK release for the same reason
If the BBFC makes it even more expensive for the little companies, Third Window should start considering booklets in their releases.