Gaumont French Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Finch

Re: Gaumont French Releases 2010

#76 Post by Finch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:12 pm

I could ](*,) my head for selling my Criterion copy of Rififi - should have waited to see if the Gaumont had English subs! Hope Criterion reissue this film on Blu sooner than later.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#77 Post by tenia » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:01 am

Finch wrote:I could ](*,) my head for selling my Criterion copy of Rififi - should have waited to see if the Gaumont had English subs! Hope Criterion reissue this film on Blu sooner than later.
I will check if there are English subs. Maybe this preview isn't complete. Still hope !

Zazou dans le Metro

#78 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:49 am

Finch wrote:I could ](*,) my head for selling my Criterion copy of Rififi - should have waited to see if the Gaumont had English subs! Hope Criterion reissue this film on Blu sooner than later.
No english subs according to the Gaumont site and they weren't on the dvd version either. Criterion to the rescue?

rockysds

#79 Post by rockysds » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:44 am

Regarding the April titles "Cousin cousine" will have English subs, but it appears "Le sucre" won't, according to Gaumont's site.

perkizitore

#80 Post by perkizitore » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:35 am

Arrow has confirmed that they are releasing Rififi on blu-ray in June.

andyli

#81 Post by andyli » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:48 pm

A rather lengthy interview with Gaumont Video by dvdclassik.

Highlights:
Et attendez de voir le résultat pour 8 et demi ! Vous pourrez comparer notre travail avec celui de Criterion, c'est le jour et la nuit.
:-k
Pour 2012, nous allons éditer un certain nombre de films de Pialat en Blu-ray. Nous avons fini une grande partie de la restauration pour Police et Sous le soleil de Satan.
\:D/
Sérieusement, nous sommes sur un projet de restauration de la Jeanne d'Arc de Dreyer.

Saturnome

#82 Post by Saturnome » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 am

Et attendez de voir le résultat pour 8 et demi ! Vous pourrez comparer notre travail avec celui de Criterion, c'est le jour et la nuit.
- Wait until you see ! Then you'll compare our work with Criterion's, it's day and night.
Pour 2012, nous allons éditer un certain nombre de films de Pialat en Blu-ray. Nous avons fini une grande partie de la restauration pour Police et Sous le soleil de Satan.
- Pialat on Blu-Ray in 2012. Restoration of Police and Sous le soleil de Satan is almost done.
Sérieusement, nous sommes sur un projet de restauration de la Jeanne d'Arc de Dreyer.
- No joke, we're on a Restoration project on Dreyer's Joan of Arc.

It's a fascinating interview, they are totally transparent, telling how much they sell some titles and how much they make, admitting they screwed a release (Herzog's Nosferatu), how hard it is to get certain titles (Fanny & Alexander), etc.

I only have their Eyes Without a Face Blu-Ray so far, it's great. (No english subs though. Learn french, it's facile comme tout!).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#83 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 am

Good and bad news - Good - Un Carnet de Bal and Allo Berlin from Duvivier, J'étais une aventurière from Raymond Bernard in September courtesy of Gaumont a la demande.
Bad- French HoH subs only and it looks like Gaumont's Le Cinema premier volume 3, which would probably have taken us into Epstein country has been cancelled due to the poor performance of the preceeding 2 volumes( from which Kino draw their Gaumont compilations).

Moderate news- There are tentative plans to release some Epstein through co-operation with CNC.
Whither some follow up on Moc plans for Le grand Jean?

zeroman987

#84 Post by zeroman987 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Has anyone ordered directly from the Gaumont site to the United States? I read on another board that there have been problems with amazon.fr and customs. Looking at the prices + shipping at both sites the prices are pretty comparable and I would rather give Gaumont money than pay amazon for shipping.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#85 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:00 pm

Doing a quick calculation it's only 4 euros more expensive to ship 4 DVDs to USA rather than France once the removal of tax is taken into consideration. Obviously the gap widens the less dvds you buy. How they handle the tax declaration for the value as far as customs is concerned is of course another kettle of poisson.

McCrutchy

#86 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 pm

andyli wrote:A rather lengthy interview with Gaumont Video by dvdclassik.
Thanks for posting this (I posted it on Blu-ray.com when I found it here) even though my French is very bad, that was a fascinating read in French and Google-translated to English.

Also, it would seem that, according to Boutique Gaumont, Fellini's La città delle donne (La Cité des femmes) will have English subtitles as well as French and French SDH ones...the only Fellini to be so described.

eerik

Re: Gaumont French Releases 2011

#87 Post by eerik » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:30 am

Boutique Gaumont says 8 1/2 will be BD+DVD combo pack and has only French audio. :(

andyli

#88 Post by andyli » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:26 am

It cannot be, can it? Even their 2009 dvd with the same cover design carried the Italian audio option.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#89 Post by tenia » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:33 pm

I just asked the question to Jerome Soulet, head of the video edition dept of Gaumont.
I should probably have an answer within a few days.

Documaniaque

#90 Post by Documaniaque » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:51 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:There are tentative plans to release some Epstein through co-operation with CNC.
Any idea which ones?
Last edited by Documaniaque on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McCrutchy

#91 Post by McCrutchy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:04 pm

andyli wrote:It cannot be, can it? Even their 2009 dvd with the same cover design carried the Italian audio option.
The BG listings often omit A/V specs to be included on pre-releases (Case in point: A Man Escaped was not listed with English subs for the longest time...), but so far, *knocks on wood* they have not included any A/V specs that turned out not to be on the release.

I would be shocked if, especially after the Nosferatu BD debacle, 8 1/2 is released without the original Italian track.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#92 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:31 am

For 8 1/2 : it is indeed one BD + 1 DVD, because the DVD comes from the previous 2 DVD edition, and is the extras feature devoted disc. However, there will be the original Italian track and the French dub track. The specs on the Gaumont website are full of mistakes.
However, I don't have input for the English subs. Sorry.

As for Nosferatu, it was a rightholders issue with the Herzog fondation, which was asking a lot of money to use the alternative cut and/or the german tracks. Gaumont had no choice but to do without, since it would have doubled (litterally) the cost of the launch for them.
For 8 1/2, it is not the case since they had access to this Italian track for the previous DVD. However, there weren't English subs on this DVD edition.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#93 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:41 am

Documaniaque wrote:
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:There are tentative plans to release some Epstein through co-operation with CNC.
Any idea which ones?
No.... but here are those copyrighted by Gaumont.

Giulio

#94 Post by Giulio » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Documaniaque wrote:
Any idea which ones?
No.... but here are those copyrighted by Gaumont.
WOW! \:D/

McCrutchy

#95 Post by McCrutchy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:18 pm

tenia wrote:For 8 1/2 : it is indeed one BD + 1 DVD, because the DVD comes from the previous 2 DVD edition, and is the extras feature devoted disc. However, there will be the original Italian track and the French dub track. The specs on the Gaumont website are full of mistakes.
However, I don't have input for the English subs. Sorry.

As for Nosferatu, it was a rightholders issue with the Herzog fondation, which was asking a lot of money to use the alternative cut and/or the german tracks. Gaumont had no choice but to do without, since it would have doubled (litterally) the cost of the launch for them.
For 8 1/2, it is not the case since they had access to this Italian track for the previous DVD. However, there weren't English subs on this DVD edition.
Nevertheless *again knocking on wood*, I haven't seen the BG list an A/V spec that turned out not to be on the release. Regional coding is often wrong, but if BG says a release will have English subs, then it should have English subs, but it could also have more subs that are not listed.

What I am trying to say, tenia, is please don't crush my dream of an English-friendly Gaumont Fellini BD (City of Women). :D

McCrutchy

#96 Post by McCrutchy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 am

I performed an interesting experiment with the BD of Tourneur's La main du diable (1943). This was the first non-English language film I viewed without the use of English subtitles--I used the included French SDH ones as a guide instead and tested my comprehension of French. I have a very difficult time with other languages, so even though I have been studying French in various capacities for a number of years, I am still struggling to attain any modicum of fluency. However, I was surprised at how much of the film I understood just through the images--and yes, the French SDH subs helped a large amount, too.

You can read some brief thoughts on my experience and my review of the disc here at Blu-ray.com.

For the technically inclined, I also posted a BDInfo scan of the disc at AVS Forum.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#97 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:15 am

As a little snippet of info Main du Diable is one of the films shown in production in Tavernier's Laissez-Passer

jerome

#98 Post by jerome » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:15 am

Some HD screencaps frome The fellini Blu-ray discs from Gaumont

http://www.planete-hd.com/-PREVIEW-8-1- ... -a694.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.planete-hd.com/-PREVIEW-La-C ... -a695.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.planete-hd.com/-PREVIEW-Et-v ... -a696.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finch

#99 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:55 am

French Blu-Ray of Joe Dante's Matinee coming up in June courtesy of Carlotta so probably no forced English subs

Bless the French
SORTIE EN BLU-RAY LE 1ER JUIN 2011 (24.99€)

BD 50 • MASTER HAUTE DÉFINITION • AVC
Version Originale / Version Française PCM Stéréo
Sous-Titres Français
Format 1.85 respecté – Couleurs
Durée du Film : 99 mn

SUPPLÉMENTS (EN HD)

. PARANOÏA EN FOURMI VISION (31 mn)
Dans cet entretien exclusif réalisé par Michael Henry Wilson (auteur d’Eastwood par Eastwood), Joe Dante parle de ses influences cinématographiques et revient sur la genèse du film, au gré de nombreuses anecdotes personnelles.

. "MANT! (L’HOMME-FOURMI)"
. PRÉFACE DE JOE DANTE (6 mn)
. LE COURT-MÉTRAGE (1992 – Noir & Blanc – 16 mn)
Nouveau master restauré Haute Définition supervisé par Joe
Dante. Mant! (L’Homme-fourmi) dans sa version intégrale et
en exclusivité mondiale !
. BANDE-ANNONCE

. MAKING-OF D’ÉPOQUE (4 mn)

. BANDE-ANNONCE

. GALERIE PHOTOS

andyli

#100 Post by andyli » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:57 am

Can anyone visit planete-hd.com? Mine is keeping showing me the error page.