It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:52 am 

I have check discs from Gaumont for the 3 latest Malle which I need to review very soon, so I should be able to give a quick feedback within the next days (hopefully).
Worst case, I'll just post a few screen caps.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:38 pm 

Can you confirm if Atlantic City and Black Moon have English soundtracks? Amazon.fr say they have just French tracks. And if they do, can they be played without French subtitles? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:10 pm 

There are both French and English tracks for Atlantic City & Black Moon.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:40 pm 

Ah, many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:24 am 

tenia wrote:
There are both French and English tracks for Atlantic City & Black Moon.

When playing the films in English are there forced subtitles?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:25 am 

Shucks, I should have checked that at the same time.
Most likely are optional (I can't recall a Gaumont BD having forced subs), but I'll double check tonight.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:14 pm 

tenia wrote:
Shucks, I should have checked that at the same time.
Most likely are optional (I can't recall a Gaumont BD having forced subs), but I'll double check tonight.

Thanks so much.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:09 pm 

I confirm subs are optional. The menu allows you for both titles to choose both the soundtrack and the subs (or whether you want some or not).
The only subtitles available are French and French SDH.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:10 am 

tenia wrote:
I confirm subs are optional. The menu allows you for both titles to choose both the soundtrack and the subs (or whether you want some or not).
The only subtitles available are French and French SDH.

Thanks so much Tenia.

I'll order these along with Cosmos with is also English friendly with optional subtitling.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:21 am 

Somebody asked me about it, but I thought this might interest other people as well :

I only had a quick look at Black Moon this morning. It looks quite good in terms of PQ and grain management, in line with most of the Gaumont 2K Eclair-made restorations. Looking at blu-ray.com's screen caps of the Criterion, I'd say it looks finer and it's the usual "more recent restoration VS older restoration" competition. The Criterion seems coarser (again, judging from the caps).
However, the Gaumont certainly looks much warmer than what I'm seeing here for the Criterion. It's not annoyingly yellow, but it's certainly more yellow and warmer as a whole. I have no idea what is correct.

I'd tend to say you can probably go ahead. Maybe the color timing could be a concern, but otherwise, I don't think the PQ will disappoint you.

The extras on both Black Moon and Atlantic City are quite short, though. Apart from the trailers, there only is a 20 min documentary for each of them. Gaumont's docs used to be about twice as long.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:06 pm 

I had a look at Atlantic City, and it looks rather good too. It has less of a color timing bias, though it seems a tad cold and a bit too bright to me. Otherwise, it's fine.

Les amants is unfortunately another Gaumont / B&W Malle disaster. It's not bad as Lift to the Scaffold which was combining poor compression and green chroma issues, but it has the poorest black restitution I've ever seen. DVD Classik have posted some screen caps and mine match theirs : every single black elements in the frame (being in a normally lit shot or a low-lit one) is crushed to death, to the point any low-lit shot looks like an undescriptible blob. It doesn't have the chroma issues however.

The Lovers also have compression issues, but much less severe. However, it has the same chroma issues visible on Lift to the Scaffolds.

I have absolutely no clue what is going on on these titles that they have to get such appallingly bad encodes which are nowhere like what Gaumont have been doing so far. They had issues with black levels, but never so much with encodes, and I failed to understand why specifically Malle's B&W movies are getting beaten like that.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:23 pm 

Out of curiosity, who actually conducted these restorations? Assuming they are in fact restorations...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:59 pm 

tenia wrote:
I had a look at Atlantic City, and it looks rather good too. It has less of a color timing bias, though it seems a tad cold and a bit too bright to me. Otherwise, it's fine.
It is not a particularly warm looking film. It has that 70s film stock look. It's kind of cool with slightly muted colors. I guess the Gaumont restoration engineers thinks it was a bright film. I don't remember it being that way.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:07 am 

jsteffe wrote:
Out of curiosity, who actually conducted these restorations? Assuming they are in fact restorations...

They obviously are recent 2K restorations, more likely conducted at Eclair for/by Gaumont. No additionnal info is available, sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 pm 

Can anyone confirm that is the Coffret Nico Papatakis Blu-ray set English-friendly?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:32 pm 
Dot Com Dom

zedz sez yez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:29 pm 

Yes, the features, all the extras (except the audio-only discs) and the big book are all English-friendly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:07 am 

Le Dernier des six (1941). English subs?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:19 pm 

L.A. wrote:

Yes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:01 pm 

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
L.A. wrote:

Yes

Good to know, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:42 pm 

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
L.A. wrote:
Yes

Really? Great news, I was under the impression it did not.
How about Rendez-vous de juillet and Un carnet de bal?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:17 am 

htdm wrote:
NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
L.A. wrote:
Yes

Really? Great news, I was under the impression it did not.
How about Rendez-vous de juillet and Un carnet de bal?

According to this and this, yes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:49 pm 

So is there a definitive list of French (or EU) releases that have been confirmed to have English subtitles somewhere? I've picked up a few titles that originally listed them on Amazon, but in fact didn't, so just curious what the best source for info on this is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:57 pm 

joshua wrote:
htdm wrote:

According to this and this, yes.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:23 am 

DVDClassik actually published Gaumont's entire release schedule for 2017 a couple of days ago on their website. Quite an exciting slate of titles, among which I see new restorations of La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, two Feuillade serials, and Gance's both versions of J'accuse--and in 2018 finally the Vigo complete set.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next