Gaumont French Releases

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
david hare

Re: Gaumont French Releases

#376 Post by david hare » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am

Not much info on the Vigo integrale but I assume one disc is L’Atalante, a second disc is the sublime 90 minutes of outtakes from it, and disc 3 Zero, Taris and A Propos de Nice. Not cheap at 70 Euros but some things are more important than money.

JAP

#377 Post by JAP » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:16 am

On a related note, the Cineteca di Bologna edition of the Vigo set (2 BRs+3 DVDs) is already available for €33.00 RRP.

david hare

#378 Post by david hare » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Apparently no subs. Also not clear if it includes Eisenschitz' 90 minute outtakes film. But certinly cheaper than Gaumont's 70 Euros.

L.A.

#379 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 am

Artificial Eye releases L’Atalante & The Films of Jean Vigo in October. Wonder what this includes.

Werewolf by Night

#380 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Product Description
L'Atalante (1934)
This intoxicatingly inventive masterpiece is one of the world's great films. A simple and engaging plot is transformed into a kaleidoscope of dazzling digressions and offbeat characterizations complete with tour-de-force scenes that still seem fresh and startling.

À propos de Nice (1930)
What starts off as a conventional travelogue turns into a satirical portrait of the town of Nice on the French Cote d'Azur, especially its wealthy inhabitants.

Taris (1931)
An Inventive short portrait of a swimming champion.

Zero de Conduite (1933)
A radical, delightful tale of boarding-school rebellion that has influenced countless film-makers.

L.A.

#381 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Regarding the extras I meant. Doing some research I noticed an earlier DVD from AE so maybe it will the same release.

But I still feel enormous interest towards the upcoming French set. Like David said:
david hare wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am
...some things are more important than money.

david hare

#382 Post by david hare » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:24 pm

That AE listing does not appear to include the Eisenschitz c ommentary and outtakes feature length documentary which I think is the major part of the package (although L'Atalante is my best film of all time.) I hope the listing is an oversight and it will occupy a third disc as it almost certainly does in the Gaumont set. The outtakes are mostly silent (with continuous commentary from BE) and include an extraordinary sequence in the Parisian cafe where they watch the saleman with the bicycle sing his nonsense song. Vigo and Kaufman film it from three different angles, rtight side inside the stage, outside the stage and through the netting, and from above, in three separate takes and it's one of the few sections of the material to still have sound (recorded direct to camera.) It's electrifying. There are many other glorious, amazing things that never ended up in the finished movie, and there's a plethora of shots with VIgo himself clapping the board for the take. It is indispensible and I am sure Eisenschitz would insist on it being included.

feckless boy

#383 Post by feckless boy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:17 pm

So far the forthcoming AE Blu-ray is listed as only a single disc - so probably something similar to the Criterion disc but hopefully using the new restorations.

The Gaumont Prestige - Coffret Jean Vigo Edition with 5 DVD or 2 Blu-ray + 2 DVD, with a book by Bernard Eisenschitz. According to one BD.com-poster this set will use the new 4K restorations and at least the films themselves will be subtitled in English.

The outtakes David Hare is talking about Tournage d’hiver: L’Atalante de Jean Vigo chutes et rushes.