Oscilloscope Pictures

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: Oscilloscope Pictures

#201 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun May 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Nice! The extras on Kevin look good, but I can't wait to watch the movie. I'm glad that I joined the Circle finally last week.

neal

#202 Post by neal » Wed May 23, 2012 7:50 am

What are the rules on whether you receive a DVD or Blu-ray? I bought a subscription just under a month ago (after trying a long time ago and failing because a glitch in their website made it so they couldn't process [some?] NY orders) and just received my first disc-- We Need to Talk about Kevin. I distinctly remember selecting the "send me Blus when available" option, but got a DVD. Anyone else receive the blu?

That aside, I'm excited to see what shows up in my mailbox over the next few months.

Joshuadel

#203 Post by Joshuadel » Wed May 23, 2012 10:38 am

If memory serves, I had to send Oscope an email to specify that I wanted Blus when available. If you received a DVD but wanted a Blu, though, I'd be sure to let them know. I'd be surprised if they don't take care of the problem immediately.

I can honestly say that I've never had a better experience dealing with a company before. I placed an order for a couple titles a few weeks back, and they mixed my order up with someone else's. Rather than go through a complicated returns process, Oscope just told me to keep the titles I'd received in error and shipped me my original order as well.

Shameless shilling over.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#204 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:41 am

I'm joining the Circle of Trust the moment I have $99 kicking around that would be best served going to a movie subscription service - which might not be for a while, but I'm thrilled that this service exists.

JFarnsworth

#205 Post by JFarnsworth » Thu May 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Oscilloscope Laboratories presents

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN
Directed by Lynne Ramsay

On Blu-ray+DVD Combo and DVD May 29th, 2012

" ***** "
- Time Out New York

"Mesmerizing."
- Rollingstone

"A brilliantly frightening film."
- Ain't It Cool News

A suspenseful and gripping psychological thriller, Lynne Ramsay’s WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN explores the fractious relationship between a mother and her evil son. Tilda Swinton, in a bracing, tour-de-force performance, plays the mother, Eva, as she contends for 15 years with the increasing malevolence of her first-born child, Kevin (Ezra Miller).

Based on the best-selling novel of the same name, WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN explores nature vs. nurture on a whole new level as Eva's own culpability is measured against Kevin's innate evilness. Ramsay's masterful storytelling simultaneously combines a provocative moral ambiguity with a satisfying and compelling narrative, which builds to a chilling, unforgettable climax.

Purchase the DVD or Blu-ray+DVD Combo from Oscilloscope Laboratories:
http://www.oscilloscope.net/films/film/ ... bout-Kevin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also available at most major retailers.

SPECIAL FEATURES

- Behind the Scenes of KEVIN – insights from the set with the cast and crew
- Extra footage from the famous “La Tomatina” tomato festival in Spain
- In Conversation – Telluride Film Festival honors Tilda Swinton
- An interview with Lionel Shriver, author of the source novel
- Original theatrical trailer
- With an exclusive essay by psychoanalyst Mark Stafford

* NOTE: this one's also got a slipcover with alternate artwork on the front. Don't worry, it has the purple treatment underneath. *

neal

#206 Post by neal » Fri May 25, 2012 10:21 am

I just have to report back that all of the people singing the praises of Oscilloscope's customer service were right. I emailed them about how to make sure I received Blu instead of DVD in the future -- and they fixed it in their records and, without my even asking, shipped me a Blu copy that I received within 2 days. All this even though the error might well have been mine when signing up for the subscription.

They've got a subscriber for as long as I can afford it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#207 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 25, 2012 4:48 pm

And to answer the earlier question, yes, if you signed up for Blus you got a Blu-- got mine in the mail the other day. I believe the (very nice) guy who mails them out has a manual list of subscribers who have Blu overrides, so it's a little lo-tech (the shipment emails say "DVD" by default, regardless of what you've requested) but it works out in the end

Jeff

#208 Post by Jeff » Sat May 26, 2012 5:56 pm

mpreed

#209 Post by mpreed » Sun May 27, 2012 3:34 am

Does anyone know if the Circle of Trust is a US only thing? It seems so cheap that surely it can't also include international delivery ...

monk0nuggets

#210 Post by monk0nuggets » Thu May 31, 2012 1:58 am

hearthesilence

#211 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 am

Ticket sales for the LCD Soundsystem documentary have been insane. It helps that it's only playing for one night, but the Music Box Theater sold out in less than 5 MINUTES, prompting a second booking that sold out in less than half an hour, and now they have a midnight screening booked. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this for a movie - fans are treating this like an actual show. Again, this is for an evening that's still over a month away.

Over at BAM, it was the same deal, partly because James Murphy was scheduled for a Q&A - they just booked a 9:30 that's also close to selling out (even though it isn't even listed on BAM's site - you have to try to buy tickets for the sold out 8:00 pm show, which brings up all the show times for that day.)

I actually went to that final show, and even though it was at MSG (by far the biggest venue they've played), it was ridiculous how quickly those tickets sold out before leaving a lot of cold, angry fans who waited all morning on Houston to buy some. (The group said scalpers played a role and made up for it by booking a week of Terminal 5 shows leading up to the MSG show.)

Ashirg

#212 Post by Ashirg » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 pm

We Can't Go Home Again with Don't Expect Too Much is getting Blu-ray and DVD releases on November 13.

yoshimori

#213 Post by yoshimori » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Oscilloscope's You Hurt My Feelings (Steve Collins) is available on Amazon on Demand. I sought it out after old board member grimfarrow recommended Collins' Gretchen a couple years back, a movie I quite enjoyed. Collins is, for me, a rare subtle talent in the American Indie scene. Too bad the movie doesn't seem to be coming out on DVD or Blu.

Jeff

#214 Post by Jeff » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Perkins Cobb

#215 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Very interesting. Ordinarily I'd applaud a musician prohibiting the commercial use of his work ... but if the advertising dough were underwriting a boutique film distributor, that might be a different scenario.

JFarnsworth

#216 Post by JFarnsworth » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Folks, for those of you wondering about the Variety article, we encourage you to check out this article posted on Indiewire's Thompson on Hollywood blog.

JFarnsworth

#217 Post by JFarnsworth » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Oscilloscope Laboratories presents

SHUT UP AND PLAY THE HITS
Directed by Dylan Southern & Will Lovelace

On Blu-ray and DVD
October 9th, 2012

cover art

"Visually arresting and monumental and profound... a thrilling experience."
- Spin

"Call it THE LAST WALTZ for the electro-DJ generation."
- Twitch Film

On April 2nd, 2011, LCD SOUNDSYSTEM played its final show at Madison Square Garden. LCD frontman James Murphy had made the conscious decision to disband one of the most celebrated and influential bands of its generation at the peak of its popularity, ensuring that the band would go out on top with the biggest and most ambitious concert of its career.

The instantly sold out, near four-hour extravaganza did just that, moving the thousands in attendance to tears of joy and grief, with New York Magazine calling the event “a marvel of pure craft” and TIME magazine lamenting “we may never dance again.” SHUT UP AND PLAY THE HITS is simultaneously a document of a once-in-a-lifetime performance and an intimate portrait of Murphy as he navigates both the personal and professional ramifications of his decision.

Purchase the DVD or Blu-ray+DVD Combo from Oscilloscope Laboratories:
http://www.oscilloscope.net/lcd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also available at most major retailers.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Disc One
- SHUT UP AND PLAY THE HITS feature length film
- Extended Interview with Chuck Klosterman and James Murphy
- Outtakes featuring LCD's Manager Keith Wood and the Concert Choir
- Catching up with Keith - Keith Wood in Retirement
- Original Theatrical Trailer
Discs Two & Three
- LCD SOUNDSYSTEM FAREWELL CONCERT – the ENTIRE THREE-AND-A-HALF-HOUR CONCERT at MADISON SQUARE GARDEN on APRIL 2, 2011.
- Exclusive essay by Nick Sylvester, men's chorus singer at the final LCD SOUNDSYSTEM concert; founder of GOD MODE.

Murdoch

#218 Post by Murdoch » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:I certainly think it's about misogyny, but I really can't believe the film's endorsing the leads. There's certainly some ambiguity, I guess, in just how strongly (and successfully) the film enters the P.O.V. of its lead... and Evan Glodell has one of the strongest understanding of male insecurity and it's ravages since Scorsese-Schrader-DeNiro were working together... and I guess there's something to be said of it's characterization of the female lead; but, man, no one comes out looking good here.

It certainly posits Glodell as a talent to watch: his understanding of narcissistic self-loathing here is enough that I could see him lapsing into narcissistic self-loathing if he's not careful. In fact, there's shades of Bufallo '66 here, especially in Glodell casting himself. Then again, another Vincent Gallo wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Perhaps this is a discussion that should be moved to another thread, but while it's here...

I sat down and watched this, and my reaction is a mix of Domino's and Cold Bishop's (strongly leaning toward Domino's take). There was a moment early in the film, before the mayhem, where I realized I know people exactly like this, in fact I feel like the leads' attempt to "prepare for the apocalypse" fits a good percentage of my generation's attitude of pop culture obsessed childishness.

In regards to the final act:
SpoilerShow
The film strongly implies that Woodrow's rape and murder(?) of Milly and all the other disturbing events is confined to his fantasy. There's a line when Woodrow confronts Milly during this fantasy, before he becomes violent, where he says he was thinking about all the sick stuff he was going to do to her, so when the film cuts back to Woodrow sitting in front of the box of Milly's stuff unharmed and not strewn over her yard it strongly suggests that what we just witnessed was the sick stuff of his fantasies. Also, the film cuts back to this fantasy world toward the very end of the film, with Milly coming to comfort Woodrow in the street, somehow magically resurrected despite the large amount of blood on Woodrow's clothing and her screaming during the rape.

This realization turns Wodrow into one of the most despicable characters I've seen in any recent film, and I strongly agree with Cold Bishop's interpretation that this is a critique of this man-boy mentality. No one could see Woodrow rape and possibly kill Milly, then ignore his girlfriend's yells and suicide and find this a sympathetic portrayal of such a character. If these events weren't part of Woodrow's fantasy then I would simply call this a misogynistic and awful film, but it's not that easy. These sick events are all part of Woodrow's fantasies, making them much more disturbing than they would be if they simply occurred within the film's reality. Woodrow actually fantasizes about raping and murdering his ex, and on top of that throws in his current girlfriend's suicide. Why does the girlfriend kill herself in his fantasy land? Only because he ignores her there, as if her existence is meaningless without him, and since he doesn't care for her, her suicide is but a blip on his radar. This is a character so self-involved and despicable that his fantasies consist raping his ex and his girlfriend's suicide. This isn't a misogynistic film, it's a film about misogyny.

The female characters in this fantasy world conform to these stereotypical roles so much that they become these twisted versions: the bitch ex who gives Woodrow a face tattoo and laughs at his misfortune, the clingy girlfriend so inexplicably obsessed with Woodrow that she abandons her apartment and then kills herself. On top of that when Woodrow finally confronts Milly, the climactic point of his fantasy, she begs for his forgiveness in a complete 180 from her vindictive face tattoo-ing bitch ex, even allowing Woodrow to have sex with her. Everything in the climactic moments of this fantasy act as the ultimate male ego trip where women beg forgiveness and kill themselves merely because the man refuses to acknowledge them. This is the fantasy world Woodrow makes for himself. Perhaps despicable was the wrong word, pathetic seems a much more appropriate description of the lead's delusions.

Which isn't to say I disagree with the claims of misogyny, as there is something disturbing about a film so willing to show these events. But I think to focus on those elements ignores the very powerful critique the film throws at the male ego, and how easily these violent and animalistic tendencies are pushed to the surface. That said, I don't think I ever want to watch this again, nihilistic portrayals of killing always sicken me (the main reason I can never watch Van Sant's Elephant again). So while it was an interesting experience, I can't say it was an enjoyable one.

manicsounds

#219 Post by manicsounds » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Last edited by manicsounds on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

eerik

#220 Post by eerik » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 am

manicsounds wrote:BD/2CD
It's 3 Blu-ray discs, no CDs.

manicsounds

#221 Post by manicsounds » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 am

Oh wow. I completely misread that. I thought it was the concert film on disc 1 while 2 CDs for the music, but 3 BDs sound much better.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#222 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Circle of Trust members should check their emails for a ridic awesome deal

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#223 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:19 pm

For those who took part in the Circle of Friends sale, get ready for lots of awesome stuff to be included in your order! Also, I only just talked to their rep yesterday afternoon to give my CC info and my box already came today. Is there any other DVD label who cares this much about their fans? \:D/

TMDaines

#224 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:18 pm

For those who took part in the Circle of Friends sale, get ready for lots of awesome stuff to be included in your order! Also, I only just talked to their rep yesterday afternoon to give my CC info and my box already came today. Is there any other DVD label who cares this much about their American fans? \:D/

Edit: Fixed

triodelover

#225 Post by triodelover » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:26 pm

TMDaines wrote:For those who took part in the Circle of Friends sale, get ready for lots of awesome stuff to be included in your order! Also, I only just talked to their rep yesterday afternoon to give my CC info and my box already came today. Is there any other DVD label who cares this much about their American fans? \:D/

Edit: Fixed
My God, man, haven't you heard that we're exceptional? [-X :)