Severin Films: All the Haunts Be Ours - A Compendium of Folk Horror

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Adam X

Severin Films: All the Haunts Be Ours - A Compendium of Folk Horror

#1 Post by Adam X » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:03 am

Seems Severin arent' content to just release Kier-La Janisse's epic doco on folk horror as a standalone. This should be interesting.

mhofmann

Re: Severin Films

#2 Post by mhofmann » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:17 am

Damn! This looks like a must-have.
A bit worried about 20 feature films (plus one documentary, plus a lot of short films) on 12 Blu-rays, given that Severin do not have the best video encoding of the bunch.
But happily waiting for more info.

Adam X

#3 Post by Adam X » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:30 am

No, they don't necessarily have an Indicator-level reputation on that end, but at 2 films a disc, that'd only take up 10 discs, so not too bad.

Glowingwabbit

#4 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:49 am

Adam X wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:03 am
Seems Severin arent' content to just release Kier-La Janisse's epic doco on folk horror as a standalone. This should be interesting.

Wow that is exciting, but knowing Severin something will inevitable go wrong

mhofmann

#5 Post by mhofmann » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:14 am

Adam X wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:30 am
No, they don't necessarily have an Indicator-level reputation on that end, but at 2 films a disc, that'd only take up 10 discs, so not too bad.
I find Severin‘s encoding imperfect even at 1 film per disc, that‘s why I mentioned my worry above…

dwk

#6 Post by dwk » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Details for the Folk Horror box set

Here is the pre-order. $170 plus $15 (domestic) / $30 (international) for shipping.
Last edited by dwk on Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:13 pm

What a tease to include the plate from the Owl Service in the bundle but no the Owl Service in the box set!

EDIT And it’s in the deck of cards being offered too!

CSM126

#8 Post by CSM126 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:03 pm

I’ve only seen two of those films (Celia and Penda’s Fen, both exceptional), but I’m really intrigued. Looks like a very nice set overall, and I do like this sort of film. Oh to have $200 to drop on a (mostly) blind buy.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:11 pm

The other ones I've seen (Witchhammer, Viy, Anchoress, and Robin Redbreast) are also great. The latter two are out on DVD from BFI, and I wonder if upgrades might be forthcoming

What A Disgrace

#10 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:14 pm

Oh my dear sweet lord.

L.A.

#11 Post by L.A. » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Lake of the Dead is a nice one. Norway’s first scope film.

The earlier Severin Blu-ray of Viy had an interview with Richard Stanley.

Mr Sausage

#12 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:20 pm

Il Demonio is pretty decent, tho’ more a social problem picture than horror.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:30 pm

I’ve only seen Witchhammer, which I hated
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:04 pm
I thought this was annoyingly bad and rather obnoxious in pounding its meaning into the audience. I suspect there was a way to make a film decrying anti-intellectual witch hunts without resorting to treating the viewers like idiots, but no evidence here supports it. Two worst offenses:
01 A rando hooded old man spouting obscene imagined sins of women acting in concordance with the Devil is randomly inter-cut into the action throughout the film, in case we didn't get this movie's dog with a bone messaging in this regard
02 The noble (but doomed because books) Deacon protagonist is transformed into a literal Jesus figure, with physical features in the last act intentionally drawn to mirror the common visual perception of Christ. He is even given a Judas kiss... which the film literally brings spoken attention to in its dogged witch hunt against subtlety
But Eyes of Fire’s trailer made my watch list from one of those Trailer Trauma comps. And if these films are in an Owl Service / Wicker Man vein, they’re probably a safer bet than some other horror sets! I do love that the titles span the globe a bit

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Very happy to support this project, and I only had Viy and Witchhammer in high-def already.

(I knew about the latter’s inclusion already, unsurprisingly - and happily I preserved the original ProRes HQ master of the video essay, which they’ll be working from directly.)

mteller

#15 Post by mteller » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:27 am

I haven't seen a single one of these films but wow it looks fantastic.

L.A.

#16 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 am

Surprised they didn’t add The White Reindeer (1952) for the folk horror box. Nevertheless, this is a great release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Severin: All the Haunts Be Ours

#17 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:03 am

swo17 wrote:The other ones I've seen (Witchhammer, Viy, Anchoress, and Robin Redbreast) are also great. The latter two are out on DVD from BFI, and I wonder if upgrades might be forthcoming
Considering Severin's tech details abour Robin Redbreast, I wonder if it'll be actual HD or not.

MichaelB

#18 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:10 am

tenia wrote:
swo17 wrote:The other ones I've seen (Witchhammer, Viy, Anchoress, and Robin Redbreast) are also great. The latter two are out on DVD from BFI, and I wonder if upgrades might be forthcoming
Considering Severin's tech details abour Robin Redbreast, I wonder if it'll be actual HD or not.
I doubt it - doesn’t it only exist on SD videotape? So they might upscale it, and increase the bitrate over the DVD, but it’s unlikely to be much of an advance on that.

(Not remotely Severin’s fault, of course; you can only work with what’s available. In fact, this very week I’m subtitling the TV version of Midway, which only exists in pan-and-scan SD. Universal’s master is in fact pretty decent in all other respects, but there’s no getting around those limitations.)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#19 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:12 am

It's my understanding the source they're stating in the specs is SD but I don't know these older more video-related formats so I wasn't sure.

brundlefly

#20 Post by brundlefly » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:39 am

Do love a box drenched in context and am also happy it's got plenty new to me. (In addition to what's been mentioned already, I've seen the Wheatley, which was a bit too much of a bong rip for me.) I thought it might be a collection of already available stuff like Jug Face and Juniper Tree, so hooray.

And hopefully with this done, Janisse will be freed up to do the Cockfighter book she Kickstarter'd in times long gone before these.

agnamaracs

#21 Post by agnamaracs » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:12 am

tenia wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:12 am
It's my understanding the source they're stating in the specs is SD but I don't know these older more video-related formats so I wasn't sure.
It's a BBC production from 1970, so the first generation copy was most likely PAL videotape.

colinr0380

#22 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:30 pm
But Eyes of Fire’s trailer made my watch list from one of those Trailer Trauma comps. And if these films are in an Owl Service / Wicker Man vein, they’re probably a safer bet than some other horror sets! I do love that the titles span the globe a bit
This does look like a fun set and I second domino's interest in Eyes of Fire just from seeing the trailer.

I also want to put in a word for the very bizarre film Dark Waters. I think I may still have my old Tartan Video VHS knocking around of that one somewhere, and I do remember upgrading in the mid-2000s to the No Shame Region 1 DVD edition of the film (which came with a replica of the amulet in the film that I only take out to wear on special occasions when the stars are in the correct alignment!). It is perhaps more of a nunsploitation film than a 'folk horror' one per se, with a young lady traveling back to the island convent to uncover her mysterious heritage and instead finding out that she is the key to unleashing dark forces, and it is much more of a visually driven film than a narrative one, with its beautiful locations and Argento-style over the top death sequences, but on those terms I seem to remember it being quite enjoyable. I still have never logistically figured out exactly how that church manages to flood in the opening scene however!

Adam X

#23 Post by Adam X » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:52 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:13 pm
What a tease to include the plate from the Owl Service in the bundle but no the Owl Service in the box set!

EDIT And it’s in the deck of cards being offered too!
Finally finished all 2 hours of Severin’s latest podcast, where they go over the history and contents of the boxset with Kier-La Janisse. It’s mentioned that they did actually try to license The Owl Service, but were unsuccessful. Also discussed were failed efforts to include some Brazilian films, hampered both by their archive being closed due to the pandemic, along with the recent fire destroying a number of elements stored there.

L.A.

#24 Post by L.A. » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:44 am

L.A. wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 am
Surprised they didn’t add The White Reindeer (1952) for the folk horror box.
I sent an email to Severin regarding the film and they responded very quickly:
Severin Films wrote:The White Reindeer is referenced in the documentary. Unfortunately, another label licensed it so it couldn't be included with our box set.
Curious what other label is in question. :-k

L.A.

#25 Post by L.A. » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:27 pm

Exciting day at Severin and for Italian film history aficionados in general! When we discussed with our friend and cinema historian (and son of BABA YAGA Director Corrado) Alberto Farina that we were working on Brunello Rondi's IL DEMONIO / THE DEMON, he alerted us to the fact that the film was censored back in 1963 by the national censorship board of Italy and had likely never been released fully uncut. Well, after some extra deep searching in their vaults by the good RAI TV people, they unearthed the approximately two minutes of footage, cut from five sequences including the notorious spider walk. Almost 60 years on, we believe for the first time, the uncensored Director's Cut will finally be available as part of our behemoth folk horror box set ALL THE HAUNTS BE OURS.