Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
EddieLarkin

Re: Twilight Time

#851 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Turns out it was Born Yesterday (1950).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#852 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Clue 2: Joe Eszterhas comes again.

Clue # 2: Born Yesterday's author Garson Kanin sold the rights of the play to Columbia for a then unheard of $1 million dollars. Joe Eszterhas repeated the feat years later by selling the script to Basic Instinct (1992) for a then unheard of 3 million dollars. Hence Joe Eszterhas comes again.

Feego

#853 Post by Feego » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Wow. They could have just as easily given the clue "Melanie Griffith comes again." It would have been equally stupid but at least slightly more relevant (you know, because she like, starred in the remake or whatever?). There is truly nothing fun about attempting to guess these clues.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#854 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:29 pm

domino harvey wrote:

Clue # 2: Born Yesterday's author Garson Kanin sold the rights of the play to Columbia for a then unheard of $1 million dollars. Joe Eszterhas repeated the feat years later by selling the script to Basic Instinct (1992) for a then unheard of 3 million dollars. Hence Joe Eszterhas comes again.
Makes sense

matrixschmatrix

#855 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:38 pm

I was more reminded of this

CSM126

#856 Post by CSM126 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:51 pm

domino harvey wrote:

Uh... What? I'm seriously completely and utterly lost on what this even means and how that clue is supposed to equal Born Yesterday.

EddieLarkin

#857 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:23 pm

New freebie promotion with this month's pre-orders (20th, 4pm EST), and a list of current releases that are reaching low stock:
Twilight Time wrote:We are often asked which titles are getting low in stock, so as we have pre-orders for 3 new titles coming on Nov 20th, as well as a signed-copy promotion for MINDWARP, here is a new low-stock list for any of you looking to pick up some back catalogue:

On Blu-ray - AS GOOD AS IT GETS, BYE BYE BIRDIE, THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES, ENEMY MINE, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, BELL, BOOK, & CANDLE, THE DRIVER - and on DVD - STAGECOACH.

pointless

Re: Royal Flash

#858 Post by pointless » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:24 am

Royal Flash booklet artwork:

Perkins Cobb

#859 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Just biting my tongue....

pointless

Guess the upcoming release 3 of 3

#860 Post by pointless » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Third guessing game:
Clue #1: The Method, an Italian muse, Spaghetti sauce, it all comes out in the wash.

Clue #2: Poor Marni Nixon… he “walked the line.”

Clue #3: Richard Brooks directed “too.”

Clue #4: Franciosa, Forsythe, Parks. Who’s on first? Or is it second?

Clue # 5: Chinatown has a two-fold connection. Even if once removed.

Clue #6: The Lady Vanishes for Billie Burke.

Clue #7: The producer was going to direct till Garland or "Red" intervened.

John Doe

#861 Post by John Doe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Third mysterious title is Lynch's Wild at Heart.

Gregory

#862 Post by Gregory » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:02 pm

Rockin' bad news!

zedz

Re: Guess the upcoming release 3 of 3

#863 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:04 pm

pointless wrote:Third guessing game:
Clue #1: The Method, an Italian muse, Spaghetti sauce, it all comes out in the wash.

Wake me up when one of the answers is The Asthenic Syndrome. The clue for that would be "Strangers on a train? Or in the night?"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Guess the upcoming release 3 of 3

#864 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm

pointless wrote:Third guessing game:

Has anything ever been as awful as these fucking clues, like ever? Does whoever wrote them post here so we can vote them worst member of the year? Jesus Christ

EddieLarkin

#865 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Unlike many of Lynch releases in Region B, Universal's UK (Region B locked) disc is pretty fine. The only way I'd go for the TT is if it had a superior transfer (I suppose it'll be a different transfer either way since it's a different studio), or if it's uncensored, which the UK disc is not.

Max von Mayerling

#866 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Ugh. Obviously no hope that any of the relevant extras from the Lime Green set would be included.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#867 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Why not? Doesn't TT commonly port over extras from previous DVD releases?

Max von Mayerling

#868 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Well, I could be wrong, but while I would think maybe they would port over the extras from the MGM dvd release, I think the extra footage on the Lime Green set only appeared there, under Lynch's auspices, so I'm assuming including that would require his involvement, which I am guessing is unlikely. But who knows? Not me.

Moe Dickstein

#869 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:56 pm

No reason Lynch wouldn't work with them.

Max von Mayerling

#870 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:01 pm

Ok, you guys are getting my hopes up. Not super high, but up. Supposedly it is 120 minutes of deleted scenes?

Edit: On Facebook, Twilight Time says "Yes, we'll definitely be looking into [getting the Lime green Set's extensive deleted scenes for Wild at Heart.]" So I was clearly being too negative. Here's hoping, and I give them credit for at least saying they'll try.

matrixschmatrix

#871 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:09 pm

I was considering importing the French release of this the other day and doing a bunch of research on it- I think I read that the UK blu is inferior PQ to the most recent French one. At any rate, I'll wait around until this comes out to pull the trigger on anything.

I wonder if Criterion explicitly passed on this- I thought it was a better movie than, say, Something Wild, but then Criterion could hardly be bothered with that one, so perhaps it's not the best comparison.

EddieLarkin

#872 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:21 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I was considering importing the French release of this the other day and doing a bunch of research on it- I think I read that the UK blu is inferior PQ to the most recent French one. At any rate, I'll wait around until this comes out to pull the trigger on anything.
Colour appears to be a little better; still censored though.

The Narrator Returns

#873 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Honestly, it would be worse for me if they got the Lime Green Set deleted scenes. Then I wouldn't be able to safely ignore this release, which I would have preferred, because I ordered the DVD off Amazon just a few months ago.

matrixschmatrix

#874 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:57 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote:I was considering importing the French release of this the other day and doing a bunch of research on it- I think I read that the UK blu is inferior PQ to the most recent French one. At any rate, I'll wait around until this comes out to pull the trigger on anything.
Colour appears to be a little better; still censored though.
I was referring to this release, but in reading further (here) it sounds as though it's actually the same master as the British release. I should have taken notes when I was looking into this, but at any rate any release with halfway decent PQ and the Lime Green extras will easily be worth the $40 to me.

dwk

#875 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:10 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote: I wonder if Criterion explicitly passed on this- I thought it was a better movie than, say, Something Wild, but then Criterion could hardly be bothered with that one, so perhaps it's not the best comparison.
MGM may not have been willing to license Wild at Heart when Criterion made the deal for the batch of titles they did license.