Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
warren oates

Re: Twilight Time

#951 Post by warren oates » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:29 pm

You're right, Moe. And it's especially nice to see Paul Seydor joining him. Not only does he bring unique qualifications -- a working film industry editor, a published film scholar and an active partner in multiple reconstruction/restoration efforts -- but he's one of the consistently more insightful audio commentators there is. I should have mentioned this a week ago in the commentary thread, but one of the highlights of The Wild Bunch track for me is Paul Seydor talking about the sharing up scene ("Silver rings!"). It's an ordinary dialogue scene with fairly standard coverage and yet Seydor makes a case for the pure craft of it, as one of the best of its kind anywhere in cinema, and says that he himself learned more about editing from this low-key scene than from any other moment in Peckinpah's body of work.

criterion10

#952 Post by criterion10 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:43 pm

TT has posted on their Facebook page that they are looking into (possibly eventually releasing, the wording of their statement was vague) the Ken Russell films owned by MGM: Women in Love, The Music Lovers, and Valentino.

I think Valentino already has an HD master (there is a French Blu-Ray), so that one seems likely. I'm still hoping for Criterion to release Women in Love, though at this point, a TT release might be as good as it gets (especially since the only, and now OOP, DVD release was non-anamorphic!). I can't see Criterion being interested in releasing The Music Lovers or Valentino, so I wouldn't complain for TT releases of those films.

EddieLarkin

#953 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:54 am

HTF wrote:THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO (1966) / THUNDERBIRD 6 (1968) BLU-RAY - May 13th

ROLLERBALL (1975) BLU-RAY - May 13th

THE FIRM (2009) BLU-RAY - May 13th

FATE IS THE HUNTER (1964) BLU-RAY w/ To Whom it May Concern: Ka Shen’s Journey (2010) - May 13th

TWO RODE TOGETHER (1961) BLU-RAY - May 13th

THE MECHANIC (1972) BLU-RAY - June 10th

THE TRAIN (1964) BLU-RAY - June 10th

HEAVEN KNOWS, MR ALLISON (1957) BLU-RAY - June 10th

RESURRECTED (1989) BLU-RAY - June 10th

THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (1955) BLU-RAY - June 10th

warren oates

#954 Post by warren oates » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Definitely getting The Train, Two Rode Together and The Man From Laramie. Hopefully we'll see the existing extras, like the Frankenheimer commentary on The Train, plus some new ones too. Curious about Fate Is the Hunter, which I've never seen, for what seems like an ahead of its time depiction of a so-called system accident.

EddieLarkin

#955 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:51 pm

They've confirmed on Facebook that it will carry over the commentary.

I got the DVD of Fate is the Hunter and enjoyed it thoroughly. Though I have a bit of a man crush on Glenn Ford so...

The feature length Nancy Kwan documentary that is included, which is available separately on home video, was not on the DVD version so I don't feel too bad about upgrading at some point.
Last edited by EddieLarkin on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#956 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:53 pm

I'd highly recommend (especially for the upcoming War lists project) Resurrected which is Paul Greengrass's first feature film starring David Thewlis as a Falklands War veteran struggling to adapt back to life at home.

EddieLarkin

#957 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Speaking of which, the Protagonist Pictures acquisitions (so far Rita Sue and Bob Too, Fever Pitch, Resurrected, The Firm) will be $25 instead of the usual $30 (except for some upcoming "double bill" releases, which will be $30).

captveg

#958 Post by captveg » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:57 pm

Super excited for The Train, which is an old non-anamorphic DVD from MGM. Obvious Monuments Men tie-in, too.

Is Thunderbirds one of those "double bills" mentioned earlier?

Moe Dickstein

#959 Post by Moe Dickstein » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:13 pm

yes. Thunderbirds will be 2 films on one disc.

EddieLarkin

#960 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:29 pm

Yeah it's strange Sony gave this to TCM only a few months ago and then hand it over to TT for a Blu-ray release. Not that I'm complaining.

I wouldn't be surprised if as long as a HD master exists that Grover Crisp is happy with, TT can have what they like from Sony.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#961 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:31 pm

We knew about it for a while, someone talked about it coming in this very thread

pointless

#962 Post by pointless » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:32 am

TT, in response to a question regarding Convoy, Cross of Iron, and The Killer Elite as possible future releases, replied on Facebook that one of them would be released in the second half of 2014.

knives

#963 Post by knives » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:37 am

Given rights and relations it's probably (and semi-fortunately since it is the weakest of his career) The Killer Elite.

What A Disgrace

#964 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:41 am

Anthony Mann in HD!

HJackson

#965 Post by HJackson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:14 am

What A Disgrace wrote:Anthony Mann in HD!
We already have El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire but, erm, not exactly ideal discs unfortunately. It's a shame that Laramie (for my money the best of the Mann-Stewart westerns) is going TT. Moreso than the Renoir, Lang, Ford, and De Palmas, this title is so essential for me that I'll have to buy it from them if it gets down to the last few copies and there's no sign of an alternative edition.

Adamg11

#966 Post by Adamg11 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:02 am

The Arts Shelf on Man In The Dark 3-D

Jack Phillips

#967 Post by Jack Phillips » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:25 am

knives wrote:Given rights and relations it's probably (and semi-fortunately since it is the weakest of his career) The Killer Elite.
Weaker than Convoy? Allow me to demur.

knives

#968 Post by knives » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Definitely, though I like Convoy as a silly look into the coke fueled paranoia that Pechinpah was going through.

zedz

#969 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:34 pm

HJackson wrote:
What A Disgrace wrote:Anthony Mann in HD!
We already have El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire but, erm, not exactly ideal discs unfortunately. It's a shame that Laramie (for my money the best of the Mann-Stewart westerns) is going TT.
And don't forget Man of the West! (And Strangers in the Night.)

feihong

#970 Post by feihong » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Jack Phillips wrote:
knives wrote:Given rights and relations it's probably (and semi-fortunately since it is the weakest of his career) The Killer Elite.
Weaker than Convoy? Allow me to demur.

I'll second that. Convoy, at least, is fun to watch.

Graham

#971 Post by Graham » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:02 pm

All three of those Peckinpahs are readily available in decent European editions if you're region free.

shaky

#972 Post by shaky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 am

Seriously on the fence about which edition of Zulu to get: the TT or the UK release. Has anyone had a chance to do a closer inspection of the two releases? As Atanasov notes in his review, there does seem to be an almost complete lack of grain on the UK release. That being said, the colors do look truer to my eyes than the TT. Sigh, I don't know...

EddieLarkin

#973 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 am

Both seem as bad as each other. The UK one no doubt looked better before it was processed and filtered to death. The TT disc isn't anywhere near as bad in that regard, but it does have dull colours. I would probably give the edge to the TT simply because it shows quite a bit more image and does not have any of the heavy vertical stretching found on the UK disc.

Apparently the audio is many times better on the TT disc as well.

warren oates

#974 Post by warren oates » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Graham wrote:All three of those Peckinpahs are readily available in decent European editions if you're region free.
This is why I'm hoping it will be Cross of Iron, which is easily the best and most interesting of these three films and the one that would benefit most from the new supplements TT has been including on their upcoming releases. The Peckinpah scholars -- Redman and his colleagues -- have never done a commentary for this title (though there's a good Stephen Prince track on the region 1 Hen's Tooth DVD), so that's an obvious place to start.

chatterjees

#975 Post by chatterjees » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 pm

warren oates wrote:
Graham wrote:All three of those Peckinpahs are readily available in decent European editions if you're region free.
This is why I'm hoping it will be Cross of Iron, which is easily the best and most interesting of these three films and the one that would benefit most from the new supplements TT has been including on their upcoming releases. The Peckinpah scholars -- Redman and his colleagues -- have never done a commentary for this title (though there's a good Stephen Prince track on the region 1 Hen's Tooth DVD), so that's an obvious place to start.
Henstooth Video in USA has Cross of Iron. They do release Blu-Ray discs. I have no idea about who owns Convoy in USA. Its easy to guess that The Killer Elite would be the one easily (MGM) available to TT. I perfonally prefer Cross of Iron though.