Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
beamish14

Re: Twilight Time / Redwind

#3576 Post by beamish14 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Final Haul:

Talk Radio
No Down Payment (thanks for the rec! I like Ritt's other films but have never seen this)
Carla's Song
Fatherland
Geronimo
Wild Bill
Melvin & Howard
The Hot Rock
Cutter's Way

bluesforyou

#3577 Post by bluesforyou » Mon May 11, 2020 1:33 pm

Maybe the label would still be alive if I had done this earlier.

from Twilight Time website:

Broken Lance
Garden of Evil
Two For The Road
My Sister Eileen
Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?
Melvin and Howard
The Tall Men

From Screen Archives:

Cutter's Way
The Long Hot Summer
No Down Payment
Peyton Place
Pretty Poison
Gloria
The Hot Rock
Inferno

therewillbeblus

#3578 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon May 11, 2020 2:18 pm

I just got my order from their sale last week, but placed another one for No Down Payment, The Hospital, Adventures of Hajji Baba and Broken Lance all of which are blind except the last - though domino had to remind me of its existence (I remember liking it)

I'm particularly excited for No Down Payment given it being mentioned in the same breath as my favorite melodrama more than a few times, and I must have blindly glanced past it countless times until now

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3579 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 11, 2020 2:23 pm

No Down Payment has more in common with the Lonely Crowd or a movie like the Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (which surely must have been on TT's radar but which will no doubt never be released now) in showing how the middle classes processed the fifties

And, uh, I hated the Hospital. It operates on a very specific wavelength that those attuned to will love. But it's a big "Oof" from me

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3580 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Also can't believe I scrolled right past Baby the Rain Must Fall and the L-Shaped Room. L-Shaped Room has a Blu-ray from Studio Canal in the UK and seems likely to be grabbed by Kino Lorber, at least, and Baby the Rain Must Fall would be right at home at Indicator and is Sony so it could be

beamish14

#3581 Post by beamish14 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:36 pm

I was tempted to blind buy L-Shaped Room, as I've read the novel and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the BFI or
someone else eventually puts out a more comprehensive release. TCM airs it a lot, and I think it's still somewhere on my DVR, anyway.

I also passed on Beat the Devil due to the BFI disc.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3582 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 11, 2020 2:37 pm

Again, the L-Shaped Room already has a fairly recent UK release, so it won't be coming from the BFI. It's a very good film, of a piece with all the other colorful locals inhabiting an apartment building movies/shows

Reverend Drewcifer

#3583 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Mon May 11, 2020 2:43 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:23 pm
No Down Payment has more in common with the Lonely Crowd or a movie like the Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (which surely must have been on TT's radar but which will no doubt never be released now) in showing how the middle classes processed the fifties

And, uh, I hated the Hospital. It operates on a very specific wavelength that those attuned to will love. But it's a big "Oof" from me
Not a lot of love for The Hospital as a whole, but I will go to bat for long Chayefsky speeches. I eagerly await a supercut of Charles Haid from Altered States. A side-to-side with Britannia Hospital shows the flaws of both, especially considering Arthur Hiller is merely a serviceable peddler of the material.

Finch

#3584 Post by Finch » Tue May 12, 2020 1:14 am

Managed to get Cutter's Way from the Screen Archive link. Thanks dom.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#3585 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Tue May 12, 2020 1:45 am

I ended up picking up Forever Amber and Bound for Glory from SAE, and My Sister Eileen and No Down Payment from TT. As much as I enjoyed Eileen on the old DVD, I'm absolutely stoked to see it on blu-ray.

britcom68

#3586 Post by britcom68 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:04 am

I am just curious, has anyone else received any emails from TT with their shipping confirmation or email notice of payments received but still processing for shipping? Normally I feel I do not wait over 24-hours for an email, but I wonder if they are just getting too slammed at moment to keep up.

Glowingwabbit

#3587 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue May 12, 2020 6:30 am

britcom68 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:04 am
I am just curious, has anyone else received any emails from TT with their shipping confirmation or email notice of payments received but still processing for shipping? Normally I feel I do not wait over 24-hours for an email, but I wonder if they are just getting too slammed at moment to keep up.
Not yet. I imagine they've never dealt with so many orders at once before plus everything is slower right now anyway because of COVID. I wouldn't worry.

Edit: oops it looks like I did get payment confirmation emails for both orders I placed. But no shipping confirmation yet.
Last edited by Glowingwabbit on Tue May 12, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

fiddlesticks

#3588 Post by fiddlesticks » Tue May 12, 2020 10:56 am

britcom68 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:04 am
I placed two orders with two different payment methods, and I received order and payment confirmation emails for both very soon after placing the orders. Neither have shipped, if that's what you are asking.

senseabove

#3589 Post by senseabove » Tue May 12, 2020 11:41 am

I placed an order very quickly, after KJones77 posted about the HTF post and before the email went out, and I got a shipping notice last night.

L.A.

#3590 Post by L.A. » Tue May 12, 2020 2:17 pm

Bless you all for the recommendations. From the $8.95 price bracket, how about Short Night of the Glass Dolls and The Doll of Satan, any fans?
Last edited by L.A. on Tue May 12, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#3591 Post by soundchaser » Tue May 12, 2020 2:26 pm

Short Night of Glass Dolls is...ok. Not crazy about most of it, but the ending’s cool. If you like other gialli, you probably can’t go wrong for $8.95.

fdm

#3592 Post by fdm » Tue May 12, 2020 4:01 pm

I put an order in last night. Thought about Glass Dolls as a double dip, but by then it was already sold out at TT. In the end I didn't double-dip on anything I already had from elsewhere, just picked up a few that I'd relegated to maybe whenever this situation finally arose, plus a couple more.

Apperson

#3593 Post by Apperson » Tue May 12, 2020 5:24 pm

Got a couple of potential reach titles sitting in my wishlist over at SAE, but for now these are my last orders.

Yesterday at Screen Archives:

The Bravados
Pretty Poison
Inferno
The Hot Rock
Cutter's Way
(as a MGM title if this gets announced later by a UK boutique label you're welcome)

And today from TwilightTimeMovies aka the wild-card round:

Blue Denim
The Revolt of Mamie Stover
Julia
Next Stop, Greenwich Village
Three Coins in the Fountain

senseabove

#3594 Post by senseabove » Tue May 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Maybe this should become the "trade your TT Going Out of Business blind buys" thread after the sale's over and the label's totally kaput.

Apperson

#3595 Post by Apperson » Tue May 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Looking at the obscene amount I've put down I'm not opposed to the idea, although it takes a lot for me regularly to trade in blu-rays I've bought. I think I've traded in maybe 4 discs in ever.

hearthesilence

#3596 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 12, 2020 6:00 pm

I think I still have my TT copy of Fat City - if that's sold out, will happily sell or trade that to anybody.

L.A.

#3597 Post by L.A. » Tue May 12, 2020 6:08 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:26 pm
Short Night of Glass Dolls is...ok. Not crazy about most of it, but the ending’s cool. If you like other gialli, you probably can’t go wrong for $8.95.
Cheers.

L.A.

#3598 Post by L.A. » Tue May 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Noticed a little mistake which I corrected. I accidentally typed Satan’s Baby Doll but I meant The Doll of Satan. Sorry guys.

Telstar

#3599 Post by Telstar » Tue May 12, 2020 8:26 pm

senseabove wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:27 pm
Maybe this should become the "trade your TT Going Out of Business blind buys" thread after the sale's over and the label's totally kaput.
Well, if anyone is considering blind buying I Want to Live, I'll take it off your hands if you wind up hating it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3600 Post by swo17 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Alright, well I have some TTs I'll sell here for basically what I originally paid including shipping. All opened titles are in like new condition. Prices include my shipping it to you, but I'll take $2 off for every title beyond the first one that anyone orders.

Beat the Devil (John Huston) $25
The Best of Everything (Jean Negulesco) $15 - SOLD
Man Hunt (Fritz Lang) (opened) $30 - SOLD

10 Rillington Place (Richard Fleischer) $25
Stanley & Iris (Martin Ritt) (opened) $15
Wild at Heart (David Lynch) (opened) $35

The Front (Martin Ritt) (opened, signed by Andrea Marcovicci) FREE along with another title if you declare yourself a fan of Andrea Marcovicci

I also ordered an obscene amount of unseen titles from this latest sale, several of which I expect to eventually add to this listing