Twilight Time

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Ribs
Posts: 2886
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2626 Post by Ribs » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Once again, I am convinced their graphic design guy has gradually gone mad

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Posts: 2999
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Twilight Time

#2627 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Domino, what did you expect?

User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Posts: 3807
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: Twilight Time

#2628 Post by cdnchris » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:30 pm

pointless wrote:Baby Boom (Charles Shyer, 1987)

Release Date: March 14th, 2017.
Pre-order date: Wednesday, March 1st at 4 pm EST.

Special Features:
  • Isolated Music & Effects Track
    Audio Commentary with Film Historians Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
    Original Theatrical Trailer
Image
My parents took me to see this for my 9th birthday. I'm not sure why. I (oddly) liked Woody Allen movies so maybe they thought I liked Diane Keaton...? I got to then pick a present. I got one of those Mask toys, the one where the car turned into the plane. True story.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 28723
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2629 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:32 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Domino, what did you expect?
Fair question, but I guess I thought the cover for a film filled with stars that garnered a historic amount of acting Oscar nominees might feature more than a puke-filter screencap of a building on the cover. TT is incredible at finding new design lows

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 28723
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2630 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:34 pm

In my head the plots to Mr Mom and Baby Boom are jumbled together, is this the one where the main character develops some brilliant ad campaign because of their kid, or is that the Male Keaton movie?

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Posts: 2999
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Twilight Time

#2631 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:37 pm

domino harvey wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:Domino, what did you expect?
Fair question, but I guess I thought the cover for a film filled with stars that garnered a historic amount of acting Oscar nominees might feature more than a puke-filter screencap of a building on the cover. TT is incredible at finding new design lows
You know how we sometimes say about questionable cover art that it may look better in person, this actually will look worse in person.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 28723
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2632 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Ha! To be fair, all of the original poster designs for the film were a mess, but even the worst original art produced for the film would be better than what they gave us. Hell, even the best art produced for a Troma DVD would be better than this!

User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Posts: 3807
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: Twilight Time

#2633 Post by cdnchris » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:41 pm

domino harvey wrote:In my head the plots to Mr Mom and Baby Boom are jumbled together, is this the one where the main character develops some brilliant ad campaign because of their kid, or is that the Male Keaton movie?
Keep in mind I haven't actually seen this since that day, but I remember her marketing an applesauce she made for the kid. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of. I don't think I've seen all of Mr. Mom.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 28723
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2634 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:44 pm

That's probably what I'm thinking of. No interest in revisiting either, however-- I'm slowly learning my lesson!

User avatar
sir_luke
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2635 Post by sir_luke » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:45 pm

pointless wrote:Image
Thrilled that this is finally coming to Blu, TT or no, but the color scheme here is godawful to the point of physical pain. I'll probably flip it over and crudely draw my own cover

vidussoni
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2636 Post by vidussoni » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Please note the the following 3 titles by Fancois Truffaut are especially sale - priced at SAE as they will be shortly going out of print:

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK - $9.95
THE STORY OF ADELE H - $9.95
MISSISSIPPI MERMAID - $9.95
I believe Criterion already has the other MGM Truffaut titles (Small Change/Pocket Money, The Wild Child, The Man Who Loved Women, and The Green Room). I remember seeing them all on their Hulu channel. Maybe they'll pick-up the 3 going OOP from TT and do a boxset like MGM did over in France.

Image

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 28723
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2637 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:46 pm

It is suspect that TT either didn't bother or weren't allowed to renew their license, they may very well be promised elsewhere

User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Posts: 3807
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: Twilight Time

#2638 Post by cdnchris » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:That's probably what I'm thinking of. No interest in revisiting either, however-- I'm slowly learning my lesson!
The sad thing is I'm actually tempted to buy it for that nostalgic reason, but I'm sure it's terrible.

User avatar
Feego
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Twilight Time

#2639 Post by Feego » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:59 pm

Just to add to Domino's confusion:

Image

I actually think Baby Boom is a cute movie and will probably buy it, but I do chalk that up largely to childhood nostalgia. It's one of those films my mom had on heavy VCR rotation back in the day, along with Mannequin and Desperately Seeking Susan.

User avatar
dwk
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2640 Post by dwk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 am

Twilight Time confirmed that MGM lost the rights to those three Truffaut films. It wouldn't surprise me if vidussoni is correct and Criterion picked them up (a boxset would be surprise, though, as Criterion doesn't really do those anymore.)

Of course I bought those three for $20 each during one of their Christmas sales and they've sat on my shelf, unwatched, since December 2015. So I really got my money's worth #-o

User avatar
TMDaines
Posts: 3681
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Stretford, Manchester

Re: Twilight Time

#2641 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:39 am

vidussoni wrote:
Please note the the following 3 titles by Fancois Truffaut are especially sale - priced at SAE as they will be shortly going out of print:

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK - $9.95
THE STORY OF ADELE H - $9.95
MISSISSIPPI MERMAID - $9.95
I believe Criterion already has the other MGM Truffaut titles (Small Change/Pocket Money, The Wild Child, The Man Who Loved Women, and The Green Room). I remember seeing them all on their Hulu channel. Maybe they'll pick-up the 3 going OOP from TT and do a boxset like MGM did over in France.
Subtitles are burnt into the video on these don't forget. They are not even forced, so there's nothing to turn off with a special player or on your PC.

User avatar
salad
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:20 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2642 Post by salad » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:44 am

vidussoni wrote:
Please note the the following 3 titles by Fancois Truffaut are especially sale - priced at SAE as they will be shortly going out of print:
THE BRIDE WORE BLACK - $9.95
THE STORY OF ADELE H - $9.95
MISSISSIPPI MERMAID - $9.95
I believe Criterion already has the other MGM Truffaut titles (Small Change/Pocket Money, The Wild Child, The Man Who Loved Women, and The Green Room). I remember seeing them all on their Hulu channel. Maybe they'll pick-up the 3 going OOP from TT and do a boxset like MGM did over in France.
Six of these seven Truffaut titles were available on FilmStruck last year. I think all three not released by Twilight Time were matted 4x3 presentations. 'Small Change' was missing at that time.

The FilmStruck Roger Corman conversation includes discussion of New World's distribution of foreign language movies. Corman specifically mentions Bergman and 'Cries & Whispers' (and recorded separate Spotlight introductions for 'Amarcord', 'Dersu Uzala', and 'The Tin Drum.') None of these Truffaut titles are currently streaming and at least some of them were distributed in the US by New World. Presumably Corman was not interested in discussing them if FilmStruck/Criterion's streaming rights are still active.

User avatar
hearthesilence
Posts: 4192
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC

Re: Twilight Time

#2643 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Honestly, I hope these remain available separately if they get an upgrade by Criterion. "Green Room" and "Wild Child" I would probably get, but not if I have to get the other five on top of them.

User avatar
zedz
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2644 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:19 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Honestly, I hope these remain available separately if they get an upgrade by Criterion. "Green Room" and "Wild Child" I would probably get, but not if I have to get the other five on top of them.
Sticking them all in one big box would make no sense for Criterion. Truffaut is still a relatively big name, a number of the films are big enough in their own right, feature recognizable stars (Deneuve, Moreau, Adjani, Belmondo) and / or have decent marketing hooks (Hitchcockian thriller, Kids Do the Darnedest Things, Oscar nominated lead). There's nothing to link these films together beyond "here's a bunch of Truffaut films that all fell into our lap at the same time!"

kekid
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:55 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2645 Post by kekid » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:13 pm

zedz wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:Honestly, I hope these remain available separately if they get an upgrade by Criterion. "Green Room" and "Wild Child" I would probably get, but not if I have to get the other five on top of them.
Sticking them all in one big box would make no sense for Criterion. Truffaut is still a relatively big name, a number of the films are big enough in their own right, feature recognizable stars (Deneuve, Moreau, Adjani, Belmondo) and / or have decent marketing hooks (Hitchcockian thriller, Kids Do the Darnedest Things, Oscar nominated lead). There's nothing to link these films together beyond "here's a bunch of Truffaut films that all fell into our lap at the same time!"
I am not sure I understand that argument. What is common across the Fassbinder films that went in the Arrow box except (1) those were the ones they had rights for, (2) suitable materials were available for blu rays for those films, and (3) Fassbinder is an important director? The same three factors hold for a collection of Truffauts Criterion can get hold of. It seems that strategically Criterion release their collections individually, spread out over years, whereas Arrow seem to go for big boxes. I personally prefer the latter because I am tired of waiting for the remaining Chaplins and Rays and Bergmans and Ozus and Kurosawas for years and years from Criterion. I think first releasing a box, and following it up with (some or all) individual releases is a strategy that perhaps best meets the needs of a variety of consumers. This is just my view. Others may have their own.

User avatar
tenia
Posts: 3519
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Twilight Time

#2646 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 pm

While I would prefer also a boxset rather than spreading 5 movies over a 10 years period, I also do think that Truffaut movies have a sale potential so high within the collection that it would make no sense not to release them individually. Also, all the previous Truffauts were released individually, so what would be the theme to suddenly do a set now ?

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 28723
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2647 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Though given that Criterion has sat on several of the Truffauts we know they have for years upon years, perhaps they are prepping a huge Truffaut box

User avatar
dwk
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2648 Post by dwk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:35 pm

Spine #1000 - A Whole Lot of Truffaut

User avatar
swo17
Posts: 13547
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Twilight Time

#2649 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Random aside: I was watching "The Chase" the other day and Mark Labbett didn't know who had directed The 400 Blows.

User avatar
zedz
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: Twilight Time

#2650 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:46 pm

kekid wrote:
zedz wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:Honestly, I hope these remain available separately if they get an upgrade by Criterion. "Green Room" and "Wild Child" I would probably get, but not if I have to get the other five on top of them.
Sticking them all in one big box would make no sense for Criterion. Truffaut is still a relatively big name, a number of the films are big enough in their own right, feature recognizable stars (Deneuve, Moreau, Adjani, Belmondo) and / or have decent marketing hooks (Hitchcockian thriller, Kids Do the Darnedest Things, Oscar nominated lead). There's nothing to link these films together beyond "here's a bunch of Truffaut films that all fell into our lap at the same time!"
I am not sure I understand that argument. What is common across the Fassbinder films that went in the Arrow box except (1) those were the ones they had rights for, (2) suitable materials were available for blu rays for those films, and (3) Fassbinder is an important director? The same three factors hold for a collection of Truffauts Criterion can get hold of. It seems that strategically Criterion release their collections individually, spread out over years, whereas Arrow seem to go for big boxes. I personally prefer the latter because I am tired of waiting for the remaining Chaplins and Rays and Bergmans and Ozus and Kurosawas for years and years from Criterion. I think first releasing a box, and following it up with (some or all) individual releases is a strategy that perhaps best meets the needs of a variety of consumers. This is just my view. Others may have their own.
Sorry, I missed when the Arrow Fassbinder box was released by Criterion, which is what I thought we were talking about.

Post Reply