Cohen Film Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
beamish14

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#726 Post by beamish14 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:55 pm

On the Yard is a must-buy. I’m so glad they’re handling the works of Joan Micklin Silver and Raphael Silver. Maybe their daughter Marisa’s film Old Enough is on the docket as well

therewillbeblus

#727 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:24 pm

I recently watched Chilly Scenes of Winter and found it uniquely naked in its willingness to be honest about an oft-depicted narrative that's typically glamorized in a psychologically protective manner, whereby the protagonist reflexively engages in his own non-pathetic fantasy of being a cool protagonist in a romantic story. Heard and Silver go for an authentic portrait, and it rides a subtle range of tones within that wheelhouse. It's funny and it gently stings in all the right places. If On the Yard or any of their other works are anywhere near on par with that, feed me recs please

Quote Perf Unquote

#728 Post by Quote Perf Unquote » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:03 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:24 pm
I recently watched Chilly Scenes of Winter and found it uniquely naked in its willingness to be honest about an oft-depicted narrative that's typically glamorized in a psychologically protective manner, whereby the protagonist reflexively engages in his own non-pathetic fantasy of being a cool protagonist in a romantic story. Heard and Silver go for an authentic portrait, and it rides a subtle range of tones within that wheelhouse. It's funny and it gently stings in all the right places. If On the Yard or any of their other works are anywhere near on par with that, feed me recs please
I'd say "Chilly Scenes" is their best, their most beguiling and troubling, and most complex despite its concentrated chamber-like focus. It's less of a recreative project like "Hester Street" or an Altman-esque tapestry like "Between the Lines." The latter is an excellent grimy antidote to the hero-making of other journalism films, though I guess being less plot-driven than those, that really wasn't its intention anyway. Just a great collection of characters in a milieu that stopped existing in any meaningful way about ten years ago. "On the Yard" is a very low-key prison film, somewhat akin to Young's "Short Eyes" but even milder, which if not what we think of as accurate to prison life at least it's refreshing or confounding. Heard is again excellent.

dwk

#729 Post by dwk » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:25 pm

DeprongMori

#730 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:09 pm

dwk wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:25 pm
Ugh, Cohen has bough HanWay Films.
I hope this doesn't bode ill for any of Criterion’s current licensing for Wenders, Cronenberg, Weir, Oshima, Frears, Roeg, Terence Davies, etc. I’m guessing it will affect future licensing on many other great films. Does Criterion have any history of licensing from Cohen?

dwk

#731 Post by dwk » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:20 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:09 pm
I hope this doesn't bode ill for any of Criterion’s current licensing for Wenders, Cronenberg, Weir, Oshima, Frears, Roeg, Terence Davies, etc. I’m guessing it will affect future licensing on many other great films. Does Criterion have any history of licensing from Cohen?
I think Faces Places in the Varda set is the only one.

ryannichols7

#732 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:23 pm

exactly, this isn't quite the same as Shout buying Westchester. Criterion and Shout work together plenty, but Cohen isn't exactly nice to them. the Hanway titles are some big ones, taking a license hit there would be painful

FrauBlucher

#733 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:24 pm

Ugh indeed. I was hoping eventually Haynes's Carol would end up with Criterion. Maybe Kino will have a bigger hand in releasing the blu-rays. But my expectations for Cohen getting a lot of these out on bluray are not high. I suspect this is more for their streaming service.

I don't think there is a good relationship between the Cohen and Criterion. City of Women being left out of the Fellini box could be an indication of that. As for Faces Places Agnes Varda was still alive when the box was being worked on. Perhaps she had something to do with Cohen licensing to CC.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#734 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:54 pm

Ugh?

FrauBlucher

#735 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:45 pm

I think it’s the disappointment of Cohen slow walking their releases if they get released at all. Their potential was greater than their output has been. But maybe through Kino that will be rectified. And also, what what does this mean for the HanWay films Criterion already have?

dwk

#736 Post by dwk » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:33 pm

Also, I've seen people reporting that some of Cohen's releases have pretty lousy subtitles. (plus the guy that owns the company is a billionaire asshole, but that is a different issue.)

therewillbeblus

#737 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:24 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:55 pm
On the Yard is a must-buy.
Quote Perf Unquote wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:03 am
"On the Yard" is a very low-key prison film, somewhat akin to Young's "Short Eyes" but even milder, which if not what we think of as accurate to prison life at least it's refreshing or confounding. Heard is again excellent.
I really liked this as well- it's certainly restrained but feels like a realist take on the more fantastically-drawn prison exploitation films of the earlier 70s. There are the conspiring guards and theatrical elements, but everything is pared back and emotions are allowed to exist in omissions, since they're often hidden beneath the surfaces we can examine from a humble position. This isn't a hand-holding exercise with melodramatic stakes and surrogate involvement, and if we're wanting more of Heard's back story and personality, that seems entirely the point. He's so clearly a carefully drawn character with a rich background known to Heard and the filmmakers that we only get a glimpse of, and I was captivated by his presence whenever he's on screen. Everyone else is good too, but the film is loose and a bit directionless by design; the details more significant or interesting to the filmmaker than the core narrative of the kingpin's power being disrupted etc. I didn't love it, but I'm not sure it's working towards the adoration earned from large payoffs. As a slice of life with vivid textures in place of cheap contrivances that may serve some great narrative purpose but detract from the purpose of the film, this is a winner.

therewillbeblus

#738 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:51 pm

Looking to pick up some Cohen titles for the Kino site sale, and would love some recs. Also, I recall there being some contention around which version of Dementia is compromised between the Cohen or BFI- or am I misremembering?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#739 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:05 pm

Apparently both the Cohen and BFI releases have some cut footage and you need the old Kino DVD for the complete version of the film

DeprongMori

#740 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:05 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:05 pm
Apparently both the Cohen and BFI releases have some cut footage and you need the old Kino DVD for the complete version of the film
Fortunately, I was able to snag a copy of the OOP Kino DVD shortly after reading about the problems with my BFI Blu-ray (and the Cohen) release of Dementia.

justeleblanc

#741 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:29 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:24 pm
I don't think there is a good relationship between the Cohen and Criterion. City of Women being left out of the Fellini box could be an indication of that. As for Faces Places Agnes Varda was still alive when the box was being worked on. Perhaps she had something to do with Cohen licensing to CC.
I'm thinking it's more likely that Criterion saw the Varda as a "completist" boxset (like Bergman and Tati) and was therefore willing to make the effort to license Faces Places from Cohen. Whereas the Fellini box was more of a "here's the stuff we own, which contains the famous titles and a few others" (like the WKW and Demy boxes) and so it didn't justify trying to get some of the later titles that aren't as famous.

dwk

#742 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:08 pm

Apparently Lee Kline said the Fellini set was a real difficult project. No doubt it was due to so many different licensors. In fact, I wonder if the struggle to get the Fellini box put together has scared them away from attempting any big career spanning boxes.

FrauBlucher

#743 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:27 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:29 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:24 pm
I'm thinking it's more likely that Criterion saw the Varda as a "completist" boxset (like Bergman and Tati) and was therefore willing to make the effort to license Faces Places from Cohen. Whereas the Fellini box was more of a "here's the stuff we own, which contains the famous titles and a few others" (like the WKW and Demy boxes) and so it didn't justify trying to get some of the later titles that aren't as famous.
I have to believe that City of Women would've been in the Fellini box if they had access to it. It wasn't a critics fave but it's a big name title of his late works. It's not an obscure film, the film opened in 80 theaters throughout Italy. Cohen had to play hardball with CC and there is no Fellini estate to push Cohen. Just my two cents

Roger Ryan

#744 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:25 am

Cohen did allow Criterion to stream City Of Women on the Channel for a time.

Finch

#745 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:23 pm

Cohen's next Fairbanks silent bundle dated Oct 17 is Three Musketeers and The Iron Mask, the latter of which was scanned at 21fps at Jeffrey Vance's suggestion.

What A Disgrace

#746 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:09 pm

Wonderful news. I wonder if the two Zorro films are next.

Tuco

#747 Post by Tuco » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:59 pm

The Iron Mask was shown at the most recent San Francisco Silent Film Festival. It looked close to spectacular, and the audience was captivated.

What A Disgrace

#748 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:03 am

Besides the Zorro films, an obvious double feature, there's also The Gaucho, which I have long been fascinated with because I read the synopsis and whoa.