It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:19 pm 

chatterjees wrote:
Wow, their Nov slate really looks great!
On a separate note they need to know that some of their cover arts really suck

What also sucks - and they have to know this - is the inclusion of start-up trailers of movies absolutely unrelated to the main feature

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:58 pm 

I wonder if the Intolerance Blu ray will actually contain the original score by Joseph Carl Briel. It is one of the earliest original film scores to have survived and to have since been reconstructed to play along with the most recent reconstructions of the film itself. Griffith played a major role in designing both the musical themes and the general placement and pacing of the score -- especially as it compares to parallel editing and the frame rate of each reel -- and it would be a shame if CMG went with a new score in place of the readily available (and historically significant) original.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:21 pm 

I'm pretty sure that Intolerance will have the Carl Davis score and 'The Mother and the Law' and 'The Fall of Babylon' will have scores by the Mont Alto Orchestra.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:40 am 

eerik wrote:

Let's hope DVD Empire's running time is an error. 1hr 58m.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:43 am 

eerik wrote:

Amazon pre-order price is $34.49 http://www.amazon.com/Intolerance/dp/B00EVU3SO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1378298435&sr=1-1&keywords=Intolerance

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:40 am 

Okay. So now we have the Cohen web site showing a running time of 118 minutes; the New York Times referencing the Cohen restoration at Film Forum as running 167 minutes; and Amazon as showing the upcoming Blu-ray at 197 minutes (which would reflect an acceptable fps, that bete noire of silent film presentations).

What is the officially official running time? Perhaps Cohen could weigh in on this question.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:29 pm 

In all of this Intolerance excitement it seems everyone is overlooking one other interesting nugget. Fires Over England is also a Criterion title; one they've been running on Hulu since the beginning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 pm 

[The Criterion forum] doesn't care about [old British movies].

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:12 pm 

What A Disgrace wrote:
[The Criterion forum] doesn't care about [old British movies].

Everybody cares, but it has to be twice as important as The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. And you guys just adore Benjamin Button. So in a way you are plain right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:43 pm 

Does the fact that the Cohen site http://www.cohenfilmcollection.net/ has a trailer for "Hangmen Also Die!" signify a blu release? Just wonderin'...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:57 pm 

It may mean nothing. They just want to hang you upside down like a pinata and hit you with a stick until all your change falls out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:58 pm 

So far I believe any classic film they're created unique trailers for have received a Blu-ray release, but it would likely be in 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:01 pm 

Tuco wrote:
Does the fact that the Cohen site http://www.cohenfilmcollection.net/ has a trailer for "Hangmen Also Die!" signify a blu release? Just wonderin'...

If you read the Examiner article linked to by FrauBlucher earlier in this thread it addresses Hangman explicity.

Quote:
Hangmen Also Die (1943). The Collection is working with Britain's Pinewood Studios on a 2K restoration of this Fritz Lang film that will reinstate a short sequence not in the version currently available here.

I know it doesn't say a BD is imminent, but I'd be surprised if they do all this and not publish one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:09 pm 

knives wrote:
In all of this Intolerance excitement it seems everyone is overlooking one other interesting nugget. Fires Over England is also a Criterion title; one they've been running on Hulu since the beginning.

Its also in public domain, thus its probably another Nanook situation. Remember, Cohen is the company that claims the rights to Vampyr. :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:22 pm 

Minkin wrote:
knives wrote:

Its also in public domain, thus its probably another Nanook situation. Remember, Cohen is the company that claims the rights to Vampyr. :P

I don't think they claim outright ownership, but rather they claim the rights to the Rohauer collection print/elements.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:20 pm 

Other than their horrible cover arts, my other issue with their releases is the price tags! Their prices for the single discs (no BD sets yet) are all over the places. I bought my first two BDs - Tristana and The Thief of Bagdad for around 13 bucks (from importcds), then The damned and Perfect Understanding around 19 bucks, and now I am going to buy few more, which are all little more expensive. Why can't they just have a fixed price for single BD editions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:37 pm 

I'd imagine they're testing to see what the market will bear- or that the first two were loss leaders, to get people interested in and aware of the brand. $25 MSRP for Thief of Bagdad did seem a remarkably low price point for such a lavish release...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:03 am 

"Blancanieves": I was really looking forward to a fully English-friendly version (including the extras) of this utter masterpiece (seriously, the best new film I've seen for years), but the review at blu-ray.com really lets me down now:

Quote: "the language listing in the specs above is slightly misleading, but this is in essence a "Spanish" film, though even the original Spanish language intertitles here have been replaced with English ones for this release, and other Spanish language text in the film has been subtitled".

Are they crazy??! Thanks for the try, Cohen, but this means the Spanish release (which has English subs, although in yellow) is the way to go. Don't miss this marvel of a film.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 am 

Tommaso wrote:
"Blancanieves": I was really looking forward to a fully English-friendly version (including the extras) of this utter masterpiece (seriously, the best new film I've seen for years), but the review at blu-ray.com really lets me down now:

Quote: "the language listing in the specs above is slightly misleading, but this is in essence a "Spanish" film, though even the original Spanish language intertitles here have been replaced with English ones for this release, and other Spanish language text in the film has been subtitled".

Are they crazy??! Thanks for the try, Cohen, but this means the Spanish release (which has English subs, although in yellow) is the way to go. Don't miss this marvel of a film.

OMG, they translated a film into English before releasing it into an English-speaking market? Crazy indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:13 am 

It's an English- and Spanish-speaking market, so optional English subtitles for the original intertitles would have been the best choice.

Last edited by Gregory on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:17 am 

Indeed - it does seem rather perverse.

Then again, this is the label that decided that an English dub of Tristana was more important than one featuring Catherine Deneuve's own voice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:06 pm 

Cohen sure have jacked up their list prices. They came out of the gate with Thief of Bagdad and Tristana both listed at $25 and have since bumped almost everything up to $35, but $45 for Blancanieves (offering only the feature and a few making-of featurettes) and $50 list for Intolerance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:11 pm 

Intolerance seems to be a two disc set, which may account for the $50 pricetag. That's about the Criterion price range for a two disc Blu-ray set.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:55 pm 

I wonder how many discs will be there and how much they are gonna charge for The Vivien Leigh Anniversary Collection? I will be getting that set for sure...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:08 pm 

chatterjees wrote:
I wonder how many discs will be there and how much they are gonna charge for The Vivien Leigh Anniversary Collection?
Amazon pre-order for the Blu-ray (as well as Blu-ray.com) says 2 discs at $59.98 (currently discounted 30% at 41.99). DVD is also 2 discs at $49.97 ($34.99).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next