It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 pm 

RobertB wrote:
Tristana was Spains submission for the 1971 Academy Awards. France submitted Hoa-Binh. Why was this if it was distributed as a French language film?

I don't know about Tristana, but this situation in itself is not remarkable - just this year, Amour is Austria's submission to the Academy Awards, despite being inarguably a French-language film.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:08 pm 

The clips from Tristana shown among the forced trailers on the Thief of Bagdad Blu-Ray are in French for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:18 pm 

Finch wrote:
The clips from Tristana shown among the forced trailers on the Thief of Bagdad Blu-Ray are in French for what it's worth.

Captveg's logic sounded very convincing anyway, and I'd be delighted if this was the case.

Spanish-only wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me at all - for various reasons (not least working on the 1992 theatrical revival in London) I think I've actually seen the film in Spanish more than I have in French - but both would be ideal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm 

Finch wrote:

Here's the trailer on Cohen's website which sounds Spanish to me...but I don't know foreign languages save my high school Spanish education.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:26 pm 

That trailer is indeed in Spanish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 pm 

Yes, that's unarguably Spanish - but it's worth noting that Finch was talking about the Thief of Bagdad Blu-ray, not the online trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:56 pm 

My sincere apologies, guys: I double-checked and the Tristana footage is definitely in Spanish. When the trailers were playing this morning I was in the kitchen and heard French dialogue in the background and when I got back into the living room, it was literally the last shot of the Tristana trailer. Turns out the French dialogue was from the preceding trailer for a costume drama with Diane Kruger!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:07 pm 

Brian C wrote:
RobertB wrote:
Tristana was Spains submission for the 1971 Academy Awards. France submitted Hoa-Binh. Why was this if it was distributed as a French language film?

I don't know about Tristana, but this situation in itself is not remarkable - just this year, Amour is Austria's submission to the Academy Awards, despite being inarguably a French-language film.

But only because rules have changed I think. "Since the 2006 (79th) Academy Awards, submitted films no longer have to be in an official language of the submitting country." - Wikipedia entry for "Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:38 pm 

Apologies to Rohermin especially for the insults. Unfortunately I have been having to fight off this issue of French vs Spanish tracks (as though both are not "valid") elsewhere and once again the opposition to my historical memory of things like this, and things like the original prints of Weekend are passed off as the ravings as a drunken old queen with a dodgy memory. So I have not been happy about having to argue about what is an extremely important issue, notably the ubiquity of dubbing in virtually every European territory and especially in Italy and the resolution, if any of what is the primarry audio track. The most egregious errors in this regard have been the constant misapproriating of the Rossellini/Bergman films the first three of which - Stromboli, Eruope 51 and Journey into Italy are all primarily intended to be in English, with most of the actors reading their own lines whether llive or dubbed. But still people insist on calling these films by their Italian titles, and this seems to propose the falsity that the correct language for release was Italian simply because they were made in Italy. So this whole vexing issue feels to me very much like all those years ago and the endless arguments people had about Aspect Ratios. And are still having. Some of the areas are gray but it's imperative to at least cite histories of distribution if we're going to get correct results. And correct video releases.
Another case, the first release prints of Berto's Conformist in both Oz and the USA were in French. (They also had two small cuts made by Berto after the premier screenings.) Now everyone is accepting the Italian version which once again requires dubbing for everyon including the Italian actors. Simply because virtually every movie made in Italy has a dubbed soundtrack whatever the intended language for release. Mercifully Pararount at least did a dual language release.

Anyway I had no business throwing around insults on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:32 pm 

Beaver on Tristana.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:42 pm 

Looks like French audio is not included.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:13 pm 

It certainly looks light years better than the BFI DVD they compare it to, though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:35 pm 

No contest, clearly. Though you'll probably want to keep hold of the BFI for the French soundtrack.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:41 pm 

zedz wrote:
No contest, clearly. Though you'll probably want to keep hold of the BFI for the French soundtrack.

Or the Optimum.

(I have both, thanks to buying Tristana on its own before the Optimum box came out.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 pm 

I'm not on the fence about this one anymore! I wasn't even aware that it had so many extras.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 pm 

Blu-ray.com

The audio is 5.1 only rather than the original mono, and the reviewer notes use of foley effects in the surrounds. I do hope it is not recreated foley.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
zedz wrote:

Or the Optimum.

(I have both, thanks to buying Tristana on its own before the Optimum box came out.)

No, the Optimum/Canal R2/4 has no French track, or at least the OZ disc I have with Canal logo doesn't. Otherwise it's a slightly cleaned up version of the BfI and also non anamorphic pictureboxed in 4:3.

Throw it out.

I am extremely disappointed Cohen couldn't or wouldn't find a French track for this to make it a genuinely premium release. Especially given the trouble they've gone to with extras, Kent Jones and Deneuve commentary and - yep - an original French trailer. This now means of course someone in the dreaded netherworld will have to demux the Cohen BD, extract and retime the BFI French audio for 24 fps(not an easy task), and remux the whole package for one of those dreadfully naughty back passages. I mean back channels. Making that version the premium, as is so often the case.

Brother!

Eddie, just saw your post. The surround channels foley can only be a processed digital remix. Who the fuck told them this was a good idea? It was always mono.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:18 am 

david hare wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
zedz wrote:

Or the Optimum.

No, the Optimum/Canal R2/4 has no French track, or at least the OZ disc I have with Canal logo doesn't. Otherwise it's a slightly cleaned up version of the BfI and also non anamorphic pictureboxed in 4:3.

My Optimum/StudioCanal Tristana (in the UK Bunuel Collection box) has only the French track (no Spanish). Just checked both the case and the disc itself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:10 am 

Jonathan S wrote:
My Optimum/StudioCanal Tristana (in the UK Bunuel Collection box) has only the French track (no Spanish). Just checked both the case and the disc itself.

Thanks for that - I was convinced it was French too, but not enough to actually dig out my copy from under a vast pile of crates!

I'm actually more bothered by the 5.1 remix than I am by the Spanish soundtrack.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:56 pm 

Just to complete the specs, the French-language Optimum UK DVD of Tristana is 1.66:1 anamorphic, and mono.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:52 pm 

Ashirg wrote:
Perfect Understanding on DVD and blu-ray on June 4.

Any more word on this? I can't find any other info online.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:31 pm 

Jonathan S wrote:
Just to complete the specs, the French-language Optimum UK DVD of Tristana is 1.66:1 anamorphic, and mono.

Does it open with the (Second most recent) floating clouds tweeting birds Canal logo?

The new Cohen LOOKS wonderful. As for the two versions of the final montage:

the Cohen and all the previous PAL discs begin the final montage with these eight shots:

The BFI etc PAL editions now cut to this shot which begins on the group and tilt pans to Deneuve and the housemaid walking backwards in reverse of the film’s opening shot. The “Fin” credit is matted over then end of this shot . This entire longer shot is missing from the Cohen.

The Cohen instead continues with the next four shots through to a final “FIN” credit on black:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 pm 

captveg wrote:
Ashirg wrote:
Perfect Understanding on DVD and blu-ray on June 4.

Any more word on this? I can't find any other info online.

No much news, but here is the artwork:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:59 pm 

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:11 pm 

Seriously, something needs to be done about the Cohen "C" cover design. It was passable on the last two releases, but this looks very dollar bin, public domain-y.

That said, I couldn't be happier with Cohen content-wise so far, which is what matters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next