It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 47  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Rosenbaum is just an Armond White more people here agree with

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:16 pm 

He's one of the last critics I would compare to a troll.

Regardless he's written quite a bit on the film over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:02 am 

Late Wilder is my favorite Wilder, and I agree with Rosenbaum that Avanti! is his finest film.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:59 am 

domino harvey wrote:

This is hilarious, inasmuch as your own tastes are as idiosyncratic and contrarian as anyone on this board (in a good way!). I wouldn't say that you're this forum's Armond - alas for Nothing and Barmy - but you probably are its Rosenbaum, down to your shared love for Joe Dante and encyclopedic recall of Cahiers reviews.

I say this with sincere respect, by the way. Honestly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:25 am 

domino harvey wrote:
? I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean, but he's far and away the best living film critic. The only point of comparison I can think of is that they're both explicitly political (though in opposite corners), but that's hardly enough for equation, especially with Rosenbaum's methodical, conversational, and inquisitive approach compared to White's incoherent, preachy, and reflexive one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:56 am 
Dot Com Dom

Brian C wrote:
domino harvey wrote:

This is hilarious, inasmuch as your own tastes are as idiosyncratic and contrarian as anyone on this board (in a good way!). I wouldn't say that you're this forum's Armond - alas for Nothing and Barmy - but you probably are its Rosenbaum, down to your shared love for Joe Dante and encyclopedic recall of Cahiers reviews.

I say this with sincere respect, by the way. Honestly.

Ha, I love it! I like Rosenbaum quite a bit, for the record. I like White, uh, markedly less

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:04 am 

I mean, White is an intelligent, thoughtful critic who has clearly decided that an endless one man game of seeing how many ways he can piss everyone per review is more fun than traditional criticism- which would be fun if he wasn't saying fairly hateful things a lot of the time. Rosenbaum is a big weirdo, and I think if you just made a list of their respective likes and dislikes they might seem as arbitrary (though not as perverse) as White's- but his writeups are generally very compelling and always 100% sincere, as far as I can tell.

That said, I've definitely been talked into movies I wound up loathing more often by Rosenbaum that anyone else except maybe Pauline Kael (or Ignatiy Vishnivetsky, haha.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:20 pm 

It might have been Rosenbaum's "Placing Movies: The Practice of Film Criticism" that finally broke me. I applied to film school a few weeks after. Was it inspiration, or the sudden need to *do*? Still figuring that out. But honestly, great critic; despite the fruitiness.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 pm 

Bumstead wrote:
But honestly, great critic; despite the fruitiness.
By this (I pray) you mean eccentricity?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:55 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I don't believe Rosenbaum is gay, not that it would matter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:40 pm 

Werewolf by Night wrote:
Bumstead wrote:
But honestly, great critic; despite the fruitiness.
By this (I pray) you mean eccentricity?

Correct. I concede poor choice of words.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:43 am 

FrauBlucher wrote:
Duel in the Sun gets detailed....
• Roadshow Version (Overture, Prologue, Exit)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Gaylyn Studlar
• Interview with Cecilia Peck, Carey Peck and Anthony Peck
• Reversible Art
• Trailers
• Optional English SDH subtitles

They actually showed this (the roadshow version) at MoMA this past month. 35mm print, it didn't look like a faded print, but the colors were a bit lackluster. There are some excellent moments, but otherwise, it felt like a pretty messy movie. The most interesting thing about it was the over-the-top psychological hang-ups of its lead characters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Since You Went Away coming soon-- it took someone long enough to get this one out on Blu-ray. It'll be the same extended Roadshow version from the old MGM DVD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:50 am 

The new KL Studio Classics website

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:28 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Many of those sale prices are incredible!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:01 pm 

Anyone tried the sale? Nothing happens when I hit "place order". And I hit it twice and now I'm worrying if the order's gone through twice but I'm still on the same page.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:15 pm 

I just placed an order for 10 blu-rays, with free shipping to Canada (by FedEx Smartpost). Seems to have worked, although my first attempt to place the order included one item (Pied Piper) that couldn't be shipped to Canada. Not sure why it wouldn't allow it. Everything else in my cart worked though. This sale is quite a steal. I've been waiting for a good price on these.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:24 am 

The cart worked for me. Ordered 19 items including the film noir boxset blu ray. 213 bucks shipped. Awesome considering 10 blu rays from the B&N sale cost me 214 bucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:47 pm 

Night People rescued...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:51 pm 

Coming January 2018!
Brand New 4K Restoration!

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) (50th Anniversary Special Edition)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 pm 

Whew, MGM's really going through their archive with these restos at a breakneck speed, huh? I'll probably indulge this one, though I guess it's not out of the question for Arrow to swoop in with a better edition between now and then (it seems like a title MoC could be interested in, too)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:22 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Kino Lorber have been exhausting a lot of effort lately to secure worthwhile exclusive extras for their releases, it would be nice to not have to read about Arrow every time they announce a title

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:30 pm 

Of the KL titles, there are only 3 of which I have seen and would definitely pick up during this sale. Unfortunately, I've heard pretty bad things about the transfer for The Long Goodbye. Can anyone here vouch for that title, as well as The Mark of Zorro or Pauline at the Beach. I know some are lean on special features too...

I also see quite a few titles that, sadly, I've been meaning to catch up with but haven't gotten around to. Can anyone make a case for blind-buying the following? I'd especially appreciate insight from those who own these particular copies -- and so are familiar with the transfer, sound, special features, etc. :

The Boys in the Band
Coming Home
The Knack and how to get it
Luna
Marty
The Ox-Bow Incident
The Party
Salaam Bombay!
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
The Wanderers
Witness for the Prosecution

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:36 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Many of those are early releases from the label with few if any bonus features. From your list I've watched KL's Blu-rays of Mark of Zorro (which carries over the Fox extras), Pelham, and the Knack and had no complaints

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:23 pm 

Luna and The Wanderers are absolute musts and have terrific bonus features. I highly recommend splurging on 8 Million Ways to Die, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 47  Next