Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
bugsy_pal

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#776 Post by bugsy_pal » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Mr Lime is having a fit on that other board because someone posted a screenshot of the UK Coen set that includes Barton Fink. He claims it's an 'illegal' release because it's not region-locked. :shock:

Noiradelic

#777 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:12 am

Jeff wrote:Fox's Home Entertainment's James Finn told me a year ago that Barton Fink was no longer a Fox title. I assumed that it had reverted to its production company, Working Title, and was now with their parent company, Universal. Suppose it could have ended up with another producer though.
So you don't think Kino licensed Fink from Fox/MGM?

dwk

#778 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:47 am

Jeff wrote:Fox's Home Entertainment's James Finn told me a year ago that Barton Fink was no longer a Fox title. I assumed that it had reverted to its production company, Working Title, and was now with their parent company, Universal. Suppose it could have ended up with another producer though. I would have sworn that everything about that New Year's clue pointed to Fink.
I remember seeing that tweet, but according to Mister Lime, Kino licensed Barton Fink from Fox

Jeff

#779 Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:52 am

I was definitely told they didn't have the rights. I suppose that could mean that they had already licensed them to Kino. If Mr. Tarzi...er "MisterLime" said that this was part of their Fox package, I'm sure that it is.

eerik

#780 Post by eerik » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:27 am

bugsy_pal wrote:Mr Lime is having a fit on that other board because someone posted a screenshot of the UK Coen set that includes Barton Fink. He claims it's an 'illegal' release because it's not region-locked. :shock:
Wow, can't believe that cunt has the audacity to come up with such claims. Mind-boggling. Not to mention Universal owns the company that co-produced Barton Fink, not to mention Universal distributes it many region A countries, etc. I guess Kino Lorber will never support 4K Blu-ray, no way to make legal discs in that format...

Here's the post in question:

Der Spieler

#781 Post by Der Spieler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:17 pm

That guy seems so insecure. Just put out a release of better quality and people will buy it. If the only way to get people to buy your product is to force them by locking the content then you should ask yourself some questions.

pointless

#782 Post by pointless » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:12 pm

David and Bathsheba (Henry King, 1951)

Release date: January 10, 2017

Special Features:
  • NEW 4K Restoration
    "Once in 3000 Years" with Gregory Peck and Susan Hayward
    Original Theatrical Trailer (Color)
    Original Theatrical Trailer (B&W)
    TV Spot (B&W)
    Trailers for Yellow Sky, On the Beach, I Want to Live, Rawhide and Billy Two Hats
    Optional English SDH subtitles

Noiradelic

#783 Post by Noiradelic » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:29 am

Der Spieler wrote:That guy seems so insecure. Just put out a release of better quality and people will buy it. If the only way to get people to buy your product is to force them by locking the content then you should ask yourself some questions.
The Kino should be slightly better quality. What's dumb is complaining about a 5-year-old release being region-free when the Kino version won't be out for at least another two months.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#784 Post by tenia » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:07 pm

bugsy_pal wrote:Mr Lime is having a fit on that other board because someone posted a screenshot of the UK Coen set that includes Barton Fink. He claims it's an 'illegal' release because it's not region-locked. :shock:
There would need to be a breach of contract for it to be litterally illegal, ie the US rightholders asked Universal for their release to be Region locked and they willingly didn't do it.
All the rest is non-sense, there are plenty of Region Free releases from labels who only own the rights for a given region-locked market.

EDIT : I asked there about it, and here's part of the answer I received :
Most USA labels are contractually obligated to region lock their studio releases, so they can only be viewed in the rights holder's territory, but unfortunately, no one in Europe gives a crap about these legalities... you actually see labels bragging about their region free releases, telling the American customer, not to worry.
That's, ahem... #-o

AfterTheRain

#785 Post by AfterTheRain » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Jacques Demy's The Pied Piper the latest Legend Films - Paramount release to be forthcoming on Blu.

dwk

#786 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:24 pm

Weird, Criterion had/have the streaming rights to The Pied Piper, I figured they'd release it on Blu.

Minkin

#787 Post by Minkin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:12 pm

The fuck?

Since "Legend Films" is being mentioned - might the film be PD? That's the only thing I can think of - as Criterion picked up the rights to all of the Demy films in bulk from Cine-Tamaris, so Pied Piper should be no exception; nor should the rights for that particular film no longer be with Janus/Criterion. So I'd say the choices are

1. Public Domain (which there's precedent - like with several of Flicker Alley's releases)
2. Janus licensed it to Kino (which would be a first since the end of HVE)
3. This is another specific incident with complicated rights issues with Kino (La Dolce Vita, Pitstop, etc).
4. Somehow Criterion only have streaming rights (which still doesn't make sense, but perhaps the rights are tied up elsewhere)

That or Criterion traded some titles with Kino to get their Russian films. I'm leaning towards 1&3, as I don't think Criterion has lost any rights.

AfterTheRain

#788 Post by AfterTheRain » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:20 pm

Minkin wrote:The fuck?

Since "Legend Films" is being mentioned - might the film be PD? That's the only thing I can think of - as Criterion picked up the rights to all of the Demy films in bulk from Cine-Tamaris, so Pied Piper should be no exception; nor should the rights for that particular film no longer be with Janus/Criterion. So I'd say the choices are

1. Public Domain (which there's precedent - like with several of Flicker Alley's releases)
2. Janus licensed it to Kino (which would be a first since the end of HVE)
3. This is another specific incident with complicated rights issues with Kino (La Dolce Vita, Pitstop, etc).
4. Somehow Criterion only have streaming rights (which still doesn't make sense, but perhaps the rights are tied up elsewhere)

That or Criterion traded some titles with Kino to get their Russian films. I'm leaning towards 1&3, as I don't think Criterion has lost any rights.
The Pied Piper was a Paramount title, so I figure the rights reverted back to them following their deal with Legend Films expired and then licensed out to Kino. That's just my best guess.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#789 Post by Drucker » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:32 pm

Is it also conceivable one company has the rights to a newer restoration? A la Front Page and all of the region B overlap (BOAN, Nosferatu, Man With Movie Camera)?

rockysds

#790 Post by rockysds » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:43 pm

William A. Wellman's Beggars of Life next year after theatrical distribution.

dadaistnun

#791 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:37 pm

rockysds wrote:William A. Wellman's Beggars of Life next year after theatrical distribution.
What?! That's great news, and completely unexpected (to me at least).

On the subject of Brooks, I believe a restoration of the silent version of Prix de Beaute has been making the theatrical rounds of late. No clue if the rights are still with Kino, but I'd love to see an as definitive as possible release that contains both the sound and silent versions. I like the film a lot, even if it doesn't reach the delirious heights of her Pabst collaborations.

Roscoe

#792 Post by Roscoe » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:01 am

Wasn't THE LAST LAUGH supposed to get a Blu-Ray release from Kino, with a new score from the Berklee School of Music?

Roscoe

#793 Post by Roscoe » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:10 am

dadaistnun wrote:On the subject of Brooks, I believe a restoration of the silent version of Prix de Beaute has been making the theatrical rounds of late. No clue if the rights are still with Kino, but I'd love to see an as definitive as possible release that contains both the sound and silent versions. I like the film a lot, even if it doesn't reach the delirious heights of her Pabst collaborations.
I saw a screening of PRIX DE BEAUTE a few years back at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival -- they ran the silent version with a lovely score performed live, but added a single sound element that I gather was taken from the sound version (I won't spoil it). It made one hell of an impact.

Dr Amicus

#794 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 am

Beggars of Life is a favourite of Mark Kermode - his skiffle band, The Dodge Brothers, often accompany it along with Neil Brand. Has anyone been to a screening of it with them doing the score?

Alphonse Tram

#795 Post by Alphonse Tram » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:Beggars of Life is a favourite of Mark Kermode - his skiffle band, The Dodge Brothers, often accompany it along with Neil Brand. Has anyone been to a screening of it with them doing the score?
I have, the music is fine, not too intrusive as most modern live scores tend to be. It all fits quite nicely with the film, though I remember there were also some songs that distracted me a tad at first, but fitted the film reasonably well.

It would be surprised if their score is not included, as they've now been playing this live for quite a while and it's starting to become an unofficial soundtrack.

captveg

#796 Post by captveg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Roscoe wrote:Wasn't THE LAST LAUGH supposed to get a Blu-Ray release from Kino, with a new score from the Berklee School of Music?
I believe they are at the mercy of the schedule of the Murnau Foundation.

DeprongMori

#797 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:00 pm

If Kino releases The Last Laugh with the Berklee Silent Film Orchestra score, I'll be picking that up Day One despite having the Eureka DVD and Blu already. Seeing the film with the Berklee score live last year was an amazing experience. A new restoration would be gravy. (A shame Eureka did not include the new restoration in their Early Murnau set.)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#798 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:01 pm

I now understand what "strictly moderated" means : it means Lime can say whatever generalization he wants and nobody can even simply ask why he makes such claims or why he might want to avoid doing generalizations.
And then mods apologize to him.
Then it's followed by 5 posts of people thanking Lime for posting there.
Surreal.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#799 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:22 pm

The Blu-ray.com Forum is the most sycophantic place on Earth. It's absurd the way they fall over themselves to suck off and justify every single thing MisterLime and even Code Red guy do (though at least there's a still a few posters fighting the good fight on the latter point, they get drowned out by the "Hey, we are so lucky that this guy deigns to sell us awful movies at inflated markups via an unreliable and expensive online store that is only sometimes open, and as a bonus our personal details may get shared and shamed with others")

andyli

#800 Post by andyli » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:13 pm

DeprongMori wrote:If Kino releases The Last Laugh with the Berklee Silent Film Orchestra score, I'll be picking that up Day One despite having the Eureka DVD and Blu already. Seeing the film with the Berklee score live last year was an amazing experience. A new restoration would be gravy. (A shame Eureka did not include the new restoration in their Early Murnau set.)
Wait, what? I thought it is the new restoration of Tartuff that MoC did not include in their Murnau set, according the dedicated Murnau set thread. Now also The Last Laugh? Just how many new Murnau restorations are there that MoC failed to use for their release?