Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
DeprongMori

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#801 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:10 am

My error. I was misremembering The Last Laugh as the film for which there was a more recent restoration available. You are correct -- it was Tartuffe (which is still in my kevyip in both formats.)

The Berklee score for The Last Laugh was a joy at the SFSFF last year. I'll definitely be picking up the Kino in any case.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#802 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:06 am

domino harvey wrote:The Blu-ray.com Forum is the most sycophantic place on Earth. It's absurd the way they fall over themselves to suck off and justify every single thing MisterLime and even Code Red guy do (though at least there's a still a few posters fighting the good fight on the latter point, they get drowned out by the "Hey, we are so lucky that this guy deigns to sell us awful movies at inflated markups via an unreliable and expensive online store that is only sometimes open, and as a bonus our personal details may get shared and shamed with others")
While this is quite an accurate description of too many threds at blu-ray.com, I was actually writing about HTF. I should have peppered my post with some RAH references !

eerik

#803 Post by eerik » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:20 am

tenia wrote:There would need to be a breach of contract for it to be litterally illegal, ie the US rightholders asked Universal for their release to be Region locked and they willingly didn't do it.
All the rest is non-sense, there are plenty of Region Free releases from labels who only own the rights for a given region-locked market.
There is nothing illegal about the Universal release. As I pointed out earlier, Universal distributes it in various region A, region B, and region C countries. IMDb lists it as a co-production between Circle Films (USA) and Working Title Films (UK). The latter is owned by Universal. Based on that, I'd make an educated guess that Fox has the North American rights for Barton Fink while Universal controls the rest of the world through Working Title.

MisterLime claiming that this and other region free releases are illegal is just fear mongering people into buying their (often inferior) releases. It's anti-consumerism. Lying to consumers that their release is the only legit one and buying others equals buying illegal goods.

pointless

#804 Post by pointless » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:53 am

Compulsion (Richard Fleischer, 1959) - early 2017

New 4K restoration

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#805 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:59 pm

Kino is releasing Marjorie Morningstar, which Olive rejected due to poor elements. I can't imagine they spent money on restoring it, does anyone know what's going on there?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#806 Post by Drucker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 am

Sturges' Beautiful Blonde a Bust on Bluray.

I saw this on DCP last year and can confirm it didn't have that weak faded look. There was a slight bit of teal leaning, but color wise looked mostly ordinary and in-line with what one would expect.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#807 Post by tenia » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Black bars on blu-ray.com's caps have RGB values of 23 / 23 / 23 so there's already an issue with the encode to begin with (and it's not even the usual color space issue, it would have 16 / 16 / 16, it's even worse).

pointless

#808 Post by pointless » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:10 pm

A Farewell to Arms (Charles Vidor, 1957) - early 2017

New 4K Restoration

beamish13

#809 Post by beamish13 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:35 am

Critics Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson announced on Facebook that they've recorded audio commentaries for
KL's upcoming Blu Rays of The Sicilian Clan and Hal Ashby's terrific 8 Million Ways to Die

AfterTheRain

#810 Post by AfterTheRain » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Love with the Proper Stranger is the next title from the Paramount deal and in a new 4K restoration to boot.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#811 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:12 pm

Awesome, can't believe it's taken so long for someone to put it out

AfterTheRain

#812 Post by AfterTheRain » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:21 pm

Howard Hawks' Red Line 7000 races onto Blu and DVD next year in an all-new HD transfer. I'm looking forward to it; I actually have a lobby card from the movie that I picked up at a flea market years ago.

rockysds

#813 Post by rockysds » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:27 pm

Allan Dwan's Driftwood on DVD and blu-ray next year.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#814 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:The Blu-ray.com Forum is the most sycophantic place on Earth. It's absurd the way they fall over themselves to suck off and justify every single thing MisterLime and even Code Red guy do (though at least there's a still a few posters fighting the good fight on the latter point, they get drowned out by the "Hey, we are so lucky that this guy deigns to sell us awful movies at inflated markups via an unreliable and expensive online store that is only sometimes open, and as a bonus our personal details may get shared and shamed with others")
A follow up on that one : the blu-ray.com Kino thread is an absolute nightmare, mostly because it seems absolutely impossible to have a constructive but challenging discussion with Mr Lime. Past 2 posts discussing the same challenging question, he's already answering "stop beating a dead horse" (and 3 posts later, a mod already starts to intervene).

I get that he's trying to sell his stuff but people need to be realistic but also not condescending with, well, their own customers. He also has answered quite poorly to the (justified) complaints about some Kino titles being encoded in the wrong RGB range, I don't know if he's just extremely bad at interacting on internet boards but has 0 patience (or both).

nitin

#815 Post by nitin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:44 pm

You are not allowed to say anything critical in the Kino thread.

Charles

#816 Post by Charles » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Same situation on HTF. (With Kino, not with others.)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#817 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:56 am

That's an unfortunate state of things. I get that he's only trying to sell his stuff, and that blu-ray.com is just defending their insider, but if that doesn't allow to have a proper discussion, they might as well just lock the thread and give only the ability to post to MrLime so that he can keep the announcements going (with maybe a weekly Q&A or something). It won't be much more superficial than what is allowed currently.

On top of that, it just seems that MrLime is a very impatient people so that certainly doesn't help him interacting properly with people.

Orlac

#818 Post by Orlac » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:56 am

I don't get what purpose he serves. Are the forums that desperate for "inside" information?

Calvin

#819 Post by Calvin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:07 am

Orlac wrote:I don't get what purpose he serves. Are the forums that desperate for "inside" information?
Not desperate enough to respect Michael Brooke and Nick Wrigley when they dare question Dr. Svet!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#820 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:22 am

Orlac wrote:I don't get what purpose he serves. Are the forums that desperate for "inside" information?
The issue is that if you cant discuss with him and that all he's doing is announcements you'll quickly find elsewhere and asking questions people could find the answers by themselves (like "who has the rights for this ?"), the only thing left is a very superficial thread.
But even within this, MrLime manages to be extremely patronising, which is another issue. His answer on Kino's incorrectly encoded discs (wrong RGB value) was :
We've released over 300 titles since July of 2014 and only three current releases had this minor issue, all three Fox transfers are clean and clear and have received positive reviews by almost everyone except a few people on these forums.

Everyone, please let's stop beating a dead horse, we've notified our authoring house to be on the lookout for this, again, we didn't change the setting on any of these, we just authored the masters we received from the studio.
On the other end, Indicator issued replacement discs for Christine faulty 5.1 track in a matter of weeks despite many people (and reviews) not noticing the issue...

He just doesnt seem very good at interacting with people past shoving basic annoucements every 2 days (which a bot could do).
Calvin wrote:Not desperate enough to respect Michael Brooke and Nick Wrigley when they dare question Dr. Svet!
I wished mods would intervene so quickly on some other threads... basically, it takes 2 challenging posts in a row before a mod comes and shot people down.

MichaelB

#821 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:00 am

Calvin wrote:
Not desperate enough to respect Michael Brooke and Nick Wrigley when they dare question Dr. Svet!
I don't think Nick and I are considered official "insiders". Like me, Nick is a freelancer who works for multiple labels, so we don't get any kind of protection or special treatment.

Not that we'd want any, of course.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#822 Post by tenia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:55 am

In a general way, I'd tend to say that you could be considered as insiders in the way that you're working on some releases. So while not insiders for a given label as a whole, you could be at least considered as insiders on some of the stuff they're releasing, a bit like David when he talks about things he encoded. In any case, you’d certainly know much better some details about those than the average reader.
MichaelB wrote:Not that we'd want any, of course.
I don’t think any professional would want one.

I understand professionals might be tired of answering silly questions or getting unfairly attacked by biased people, but this kind of special treatments really make things look worse, as if The Insider ™ can’t deal with this by himself and that he can basically write what he wants (including the silly things above), nobody will have a right to answer or challenge him. Some might want to have an easier life thanks to quicker mods intervention if needed, but there's a fair ground between leaving a thread drowning in a flame war and coming as a puppy after 2 posts you don't want to answer.

This leads to nothing but frustration, but hey, it seems the Kino thread there is full with people pretty happy with this and mods are ready to jump on any occasion so what do I know ?

(I suppose this discussion might warrant a thread split to go into the "Infighting" sub section. If any mod wants to do it, feel free to)

captveg

#823 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:37 pm

MisterLime has confirmed that another deal with MGM has been reached for "over 50 but less than 100" titles that span the "40s to 90s".

Between this new deal and other licensing to Shout Factory, Twilight Time, Olive and the occasional Criterion I can't imagine too many strongly desired titles (sans ones with legal issues) that won't see a BD release in the next couple years from MGM's holdings.

Ashirg

#824 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Arrow Video has also picked up a few MGM titles in US recently and with Arrow Academy coming to US, they might pick up a few titles passed by Criterion. Plus a few studios in UK may release a few films not getting US blu treatment with so many studios licensing from MGM - besides Arrow, it's Second Sight, Signal One Entertainment, 88 Films, 101 Films...

captveg

#825 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Ashirg wrote:Arrow Video has also picked up a few MGM titles in US recently and with Arrow Academy coming to US, they might pick up a few titles passed by Criterion. Plus a few studios in UK may release a few films not getting US blu treatment with so many studios licensing from MGM - besides Arrow, it's Second Sight, Signal One Entertainment, 88 Films, 101 Films...
True. Arrow released one of my "holy grail" MGM titles that I never thought would make it to Blu-ray, too. (That title being Suture).

Right now the only must-own titles I'm waiting on from the MGM US holdings/distribution rights are:

Bananas (1971) (Presumably with Twilight Time)
Bowling for Columbine (2002)
Dreamchild (1985)
Inspector Clouseau (1968) (I'm assuming this is with Shout)
The Lion in Winter (1968) (with Twilight Time, awaiting better transfer I believe)
Raise the Red Lantern (1991)
Rhapsody in August (1992)